Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Obviously a bummer for Savory to lose the shutout like that, but good win for the team today. That makes 3 wins in the last 4 and 5 in the last 7. Not a ton of high level opposition in that time, but wins are wins.
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
        Obviously a bummer for Savory to lose the shutout like that, but good win for the team today. That makes 3 wins in the last 4 and 5 in the last 7. Not a ton of high level opposition in that time, but wins are wins.
        Agreed, RPI did well to shut them down and outskate them in the last two periods. It was a game of low quality though. Lots of missed passes, missed shots, and one-timer whiffs.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
          Agreed, RPI did well to shut them down and outskate them in the last two periods. It was a game of low quality though. Lots of missed passes, missed shots, and one-timer whiffs.
          That's every Brown game we have seen for years. Tomorrow will be far more up tempo and hope we can adapt to it. Yale was all over us in Troy and we need to find a solution to be more competitive. this has the makings of a nice road weekend and we could reach .500 overall for the first time in a long stretch.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

After all the years of imploring the team over our computers to "Stay out of the box," it was nice to see that our guys got through tonight's game with just one minor penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
              I take the man at his word that he had a big problem for which he needed help. The fact that no one would even say what he actually did says to me that the final act was simply the final straw. The real question is: is getting back into the pressure cooker of coaching,regardless of the level, in this man's best interest? His behavior had a major impact on all areas of his life. If he has a big alcohol problem, completing an inpatient program is the start not the end of treatment. And thinking you can resume a stressful life and you have a handle on your problem is shortsighted. I hope he develops a plan that will help him live a long and healthy life. In or out of coaching. Alcoholism is a disease that isn't cured. You learn to live with it. The idea is not to win the battle. It's to win the war.
              I know you are making a sincere expression of care for Montgomery and his well-being, but I have seen the other side of this in my law practice. Assumptions about somebody's fitness for a job based solely on past treatment for alcoholism can lead to a discrimination claim under the ADA, and have been cited as a reason why people don't seek treatment in the first place.

If Montgomery and his team feel that he is ready to coach in the future, I think he should go for it.
              Last edited by DavidNardolillo; 01-17-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I have a set of those cards also. It's too bad that the NCAA found a reason that they could not be produced every year.
                I wonder if it was related to the decision in the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  That's every Brown game we have seen for years. Tomorrow will be far more up tempo and hope we can adapt to it. Yale was all over us in Troy and we need to find a solution to be more competitive. this has the makings of a nice road weekend and we could reach .500 overall for the first time in a long stretch.
                  Yes, definitely important to have momentum going into tomorrow.

Comment

Yale is coming off of a 5-0 drubbing of Union and no doubt will have lots of confidence coming into this one. This is one of the most important games all season as we badly need these points with only one ECAC game in the next 3 weeks. Especially against a team that we can beat and would probably essentially lock up home ice

Comment

Yale is indeed coming off of a 5-0 drubbing of Union.

Of course, their previous game was a big showdown against their most hated rival, Harvard, held in Madison Square Garden, surely the most high-profile arena where they're going to play all year. And they took an embarrassing 0-7 shellacking in that one.

Obviously they had a lot of frustration that they wanted to take out on somebody tonight. Glad it was Union instead of our guys.

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

From those of us old fashion enough to not trust ANYONE with their credit card numbers except the most established of retailers and just listen to hockey on WRPI, a shout out is warranted to the newest student addition to the stable of RPI broadcasters. Joe, despite very limited play by play experience, called an excellent game which was very easy to follow. A very good addition to what is almost certainly the best and deepest collection of RPI sports broadcasters ever.

No implication that there were not good ones in the past. The list of RPI radio broadcasters going back to day one, including time on commercial stations, has almost always had good broadcasters. The list includes:

1950's (before my time)- George Miller and Roy Schudt on WGY. Both men were far better known for their summer time work as race callers at Saratoga Harness. Schudt would later move on to larger tracks like Brandywine in Pennsylvania and them on the the west coast where he became a legendary voice of the sport. He is generally credited with coining the phrases "here they come- there they go" and "their coming for home"

Early 1960's (also before my time)- Ed Dauge while a student at RPI. Eventually, everyone in the Capital District knew who he was. Anchored the news at one time or another for ALL THREE local network affiliates that existed for the bulk of his career.

Rest of the 1960's- Paul Midghall on WGY after his playing days were done. Very good announcer.

1970's- RPI Hockey was no longer on commercial radio but there were still the likes of Al Able and the absolute wackiest color guy there ever was in Marcelle LaPoint. As best as I know, Able never used his RPI degree. He took a sports writing job at the Troy Record and eventually ended up as a sports editor at a big city Canadian paper.

1980's- Richie Glassberg, who could make coffee nervous, and his sidekick "the voice of reason" Dave Simon. Legend has it that one night Glassberg got so revved up at UVM when RPI gave up the first five then scored the next eight that he passed out. Supposedly, he was revived when the rest of the crew carried him outside and threw him in a snowbank.

1990's- Some of the very good current day guys like Kurt and occasionally Rob were first heard. Former standout announcer Jayson Moy also first showed up at in this time frame.

2000's- Pretty much highlighted by Tim Heinman. Like Able earlier, also did not become an engineer. Can presently be heard doing various games for the ESPN networks and as the voice of the double A affiliate of the Mets in Binghamton. Pretty good resume for a career that is still in its' early stages.

Hope I did not leave out or forget anyone. Regardless and as good as those listed above were in their time, the golden age of RPI sports broadcasting is RIGHT NOW. Previously, there just plain and simple was not the depth there is these days. You have Perry (mens' and womens' hockey as well as baseball), Kurt (football and occasional mens' hockey), Jeff (mens' hockey and baseball), Ed (some football and some mens' hockey, hopefully more in the future), Rob (occasional mens' hockey) and Yancey (everything but hockey with mens' basketball on RPI TV to boot). Based on the work done by Joe at Brown hockey game earlier, the impressive current day stable has one more positive addition. Of course, it also does not hurt that a very small spattering of less than stellar, not knowledgeable, unprepared and often not listenable types have now come and gone and are no longer on air.

Hopefully, there is now even enough depth that one of these guys may want to take a Florida "vacation" and broadcast the six Florida baseball games on radio or even RPI TV!!! It would sure beat live stats.

Comment

Brown highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xJOiwZ2vtQ
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
                              From those of us old fashion enough to not trust ANYONE with their credit card numbers except the most established of retailers and just listen to hockey on WRPI, a shout out is warranted to the newest student addition to the stable of RPI broadcasters. Joe, despite very limited play by play experience, called an excellent game which was very easy to follow. A very good addition to what is almost certainly the best and deepest collection of RPI sports broadcasters ever.

No implication that there were not good ones in the past. The list of RPI radio broadcasters going back to day one, including time on commercial stations, has almost always had good broadcasters. The list includes:

1950's (before my time)- George Miller and Roy Schudt on WGY. Both men were far better known for their summer time work as race callers at Saratoga Harness. Schudt would later move on to larger tracks like Brandywine in Pennsylvania and them on the the west coast where he became a legendary voice of the sport. He is generally credited with coining the phrases "here they come- there they go" and "their coming for home"

Early 1960's (also before my time)- Ed Dauge while a student at RPI. Eventually, everyone in the Capital District knew who he was. Anchored the news at one time or another for ALL THREE local network affiliates that existed for the bulk of his career.

Rest of the 1960's- Paul Midghall on WGY after his playing days were done. Very good announcer.

1970's- RPI Hockey was no longer on commercial radio but there were still the likes of Al Able and the absolute wackiest color guy there ever was in Marcelle LaPoint. As best as I know, Able never used his RPI degree. He took a sports writing job at the Troy Record and eventually ended up as a sports editor at a big city Canadian paper.

1980's- Richie Glassberg, who could make coffee nervous, and his sidekick "the voice of reason" Dave Simon. Legend has it that one night Glassberg got so revved up at UVM when RPI gave up the first five then scored the next eight that he passed out. Supposedly, he was revived when the rest of the crew carried him outside and threw him in a snowbank.

1990's- Some of the very good current day guys like Kurt and occasionally Rob were first heard. Former standout announcer Jayson Moy also first showed up at in this time frame.

2000's- Pretty much highlighted by Tim Heinman. Like Able earlier, also did not become an engineer. Can presently be heard doing various games for the ESPN networks and as the voice of the double A affiliate of the Mets in Binghamton. Pretty good resume for a career that is still in its' early stages.

Hope I did not leave out or forget anyone. Regardless and as good as those listed above were in their time, the golden age of RPI sports broadcasting is RIGHT NOW. Previously, there just plain and simple was not the depth there is these days. You have Perry (mens' and womens' hockey as well as baseball), Kurt (football and occasional mens' hockey), Jeff (mens' hockey and baseball), Ed (some football and some mens' hockey, hopefully more in the future), Rob (occasional mens' hockey) and Yancey (everything but hockey with mens' basketball on RPI TV to boot). Based on the work done by Joe at Brown hockey game earlier, the impressive current day stable has one more positive addition. Of course, it also does not hurt that a very small spattering of less than stellar, not knowledgeable, unprepared and often not listenable types have now come and gone and are no longer on air.

Hopefully, there is now even enough depth that one of these guys may want to take a Florida "vacation" and broadcast the six Florida baseball games on radio or even RPI TV!!! It would sure beat live stats.
                              Don't forget Jericho.

Ed Dague, who recently passed away, was the first whom I heard. I remember Midghall and Abel (don't recall LaPointe, perhaps after I left). There were others while I was there. I don't recall any names. When RPI hockey started on the internet, it was almost always Kurt Stutt and Jayson Moy for a number of years.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-18-2020, 01:54 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Don't forget Jericho.

Ed Dague, who recently passed away, was the first whom I heard. I remember Midghall and Abel (don't recall LaPointe, perhaps after I left). There were others while I was there. I don't recall any names. When RPI hockey started on the internet, it was almost always Kurt Stutt and Jayson Moy for a number of years.
                                Don't forget Tom Reale!

Al Abel later made a name for himself at the Toronto Globe and Mail.

Kevin Hamburger was a big part of the MTV Networks.

Comment

Working...
                                X