Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Harcard vs SLU as quoted to me on Friday -84% to 10% for a Harvard win and the predicted score was a 4-1 Harvard victory. Rarely do you ever see a 3 goal favorite and an 84% chance of victory. Well, just goes to show anything can happen especially in the north country.
    Thanks for that Doc.
    Now we all know why we play the games.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      It's similar to the procedure with lower-order ties. You start with head-to-head points between the teams, and if any team is separated from the pack, you take them out and start over with the smaller tie. So for the situation you mention, RPI would have 6 points, Colgate would have 5, Dartmouth would have 5, and Yale would have 8. As such, Yale would be seeded 5th, RPI would get 6th, and then you break the Colgate-Dartmouth tie as normal (Colgate 7th, Dartmouth 8th by virtue of winning the H2H 3-1).
      Or you have a game of pinochle to determine the winner. I used to sit in for my uncle on the Far Rockaway boardwalk at times and earned a portion of my RPI tuition there. I was pretty good unless there were a lot of young girls in two piece bathing suits wandering by. In that case my concentration would wander and I could lose all my winnings rather quickly.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        Thanks for that Doc.
        Now we all know why we play the games.
        All about how teams match up as to size, speed, style of play, injuries and penalties. With most games decided by at most one or two scores, anything can affect the outcome. Were we really 6 goals better than Dartmouth a few weeks ago? Certainly we were that night but I would think we would have loved to save a couple of those goals for this weekend. The odds makers know this well and this is why most hockey games are quoted as 1/2 to 1 1/2 odds difference. hockey has never been a real big betting sport because of the lack of that convenient point spread seen in football and basketball. People will bet on almost anything (Jai- alai to who kicks off the Super Bowl and how far the ball travels). But nothing garners the interest of the bigger betting sports with point spreads. Hockey is mostly a simple bet, who is going to win (not by how much). For this upcoming RPI weekend the early odds are favoring a tie on Friday and a tie on Saturday which for me simply means a 50-50 bet and you take your chances. If i was making the odds, I would give the home team a slightly bigger edge in hockey but only because of having the last change on each face off. There might be a slight edge given for home town officiating (but not so much as incompetent officiating). I would just like to see us play super well this weekend, perhaps get 2 or 3 points at best, and come out without any significant injuries. Then again boy would I love to see Savory pitch another shutout or two! Something like that has to get into the heads of any opponents we will be facing after this weekend.

Comment

BTW, when it comes to odds and betting them, I was truly a novice with zero experience. But Jenny's family has a number of people with THE as their middle name (You know, Joey THE Fish, Vinnie The Fixer, Tommy The Stick, etc.). You can learn an awful lot from people who actually live this kind of thing. You just have to make absolutely sure you never ask them for a favor.

Comment

I am concerned that Dartmouth will be fired up for the game vs. RPI because of the result of our first meeting and simultaneously that result will have RPI over confident. The coaches have done a good job seeing that hasn't happened recently, but ...

OTOH, Harvard is so unpredictable that just about anything could happen.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Congrats, you guys are playing your best in years ! GL going forward.
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                Congrats, you guys are playing your best in years ! GL going forward.
                Thanks SS - we had actually been playing very well but only in spurts. We would have a good ten minutes in a period and occasionally an entire period of control. But we just could not keep it going for a full 3 periods of sustained play. lately we seem to be able to do just that for many games (but not all). It does seem like we are getting to that point though where we are in focus for much longer periods and some times an entire game (Both home games with Dartmouth and Quinnipiac). Honestly think we are still not quite sure how good we are or how good we could be. As I have said all season, there is considerable talent there but it can take a long time to see if that can all be put together so that all the cogs in the machine work well. This season we have found out a lot about this team (and mostly it is really good stuff) but this weekend should tell us much more about how far they can go in the post season. Winning the championship at LP might be a lot to ask but getting there and performing well may just be in the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  I am concerned that Dartmouth will be fired up for the game vs. RPI because of the result of our first meeting and simultaneously that result will have RPI over confident. The coaches have done a good job seeing that hasn't happened recently, but ...

OTOH, Harvard is so unpredictable that just about anything could happen.
                  Both opponents have something to play for so neither is likely to take this as just another game to end the regular season with. At least we have shown that we do not match up terribly against either of them (or at least we did not at home). The Harvard game final score did not due us justice as we were in that game for much of it (until a power play goal against us I believe) and we certainly managed to create a lot of shots on goal. The Dartmouth game we caught a bit of fire and once we got ahead seemed to just have the wind at our backs. Road games can be very different and expectations for me are similar to what you mention. The Harvard game is key. They can be anything from unbeatable to a cake walk. Personally I think they really want the bye and will play that way. The Dartmouth game may well depend on what happens Friday against Union. Not so much if Union can win the game (as they should have against QU this past Saturday) but just how much they take out of DC in a game. Say what we will about Union (and we usually do) they are a very big physical team and if they play that way on Friday, Dartmouth might be licking some wounds for Saturday. Just my 2¢

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    Both opponents have something to play for so neither is likely to take this as just another game to end the regular season with. At least we have shown that we do not match up terribly against either of them (or at least we did not at home). The Harvard game final score did not due us justice as we were in that game for much of it (until a power play goal against us I believe) and we certainly managed to create a lot of shots on goal. The Dartmouth game we caught a bit of fire and once we got ahead seemed to just have the wind at our backs. Road games can be very different and expectations for me are similar to what you mention. The Harvard game is key. They can be anything from unbeatable to a cake walk. Personally I think they really want the bye and will play that way. The Dartmouth game may well depend on what happens Friday against Union. Not so much if Union can win the game (as they should have against QU this past Saturday) but just how much they take out of DC in a game. Say what we will about Union (and we usually do) they are a very big physical team and if they play that way on Friday, Dartmouth might be licking some wounds for Saturday. Just my 2¢
                    Harvard has something to play for, but that doesn't mean that they will. Look at their Beanpot performance as just one example. They have the talent to be first in the ECAC, but that isn't what happened. It rarely is.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Harvard has something to play for, but that doesn't mean that they will. Look at their Beanpot performance as just one example. They have the talent to be first in the ECAC, but that isn't what happened. It rarely is.
                      But it most likely means that the coach will not sit anyone without a good cause. If the game was meaningless for them, you might see them rest a few boys for the playoffs.

Comment

Weekend in Review: RPI/Union

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/20...-rpiunion.html
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                            Nice review.

Zieky and Gornall, who are transfers, were Smith's recruits.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The Week 19 recognition is nice but it's on to Week 20.

Comment

Working...
                                X