Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    I am referring to the play with 10 minutes left in the third, not the second, which I have cued up here: https://youtu.be/scfVbthi7PA?t=132

It is not a classic 2 on 1, in the sense that it starts in the offensive zone after a blocked shot, but Cornell commits 4 men to the break out and got caught when the puck gets to Ashbrook on the faceoff dot with Gornall in front and one defender in between them. Everything is just a bit off--from the timing, speed, and accuracy of the crossing pass, to the shank on the shot that appears to send it wide anyway--but those are the types of increments that put teams in the bottom 3rd in goals per game and make the difference over the course of the season.
    You can't expect this team to be something that it is not. Offensively, we are challenged. We mess up more two on ones, and more breakaways than any team I have seen in recent history. That is just the way it is.
    We have a strong defense and good goaltending, and this year we are finally getting goals by committee. But we are not a talented offensive team.
    That said, we have shown that we can compete with any team in the ECAC.
    I still have no expectations for this team, and I am happy to say, that they have surprised me on many occasions this year.
    I only hope that they can surprise me all the way to Lake Placid.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        You can't expect this team to be something that it is not. Offensively, we are challenged. We mess up more two on ones, and more breakaways than any team I have seen in recent history. That is just the way it is.
        We have a strong defense and good goaltending, and this year we are finally getting goals by committee. But we are not a talented offensive team.
        I still have no expectations for this team, and I am happy to say, that they have surprised me on many occasions this year.
        Yup. That about sums it up. Guys show a lot of heart and most nights they play great team defense - this all improvement that I am happy to see. Credit to Smith and his staff for the clear improvements. Our offfense is lacking and it will flounder until if/when we can land some consistent finishers.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
          I agree. I am just pointing out a particular play that illustrates the limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Yup. That about sums it up. Guys show a lot of heart and most nights they play great team defense - this all improvement that I am happy to see. Credit to Smith and his staff for the clear improvements. Our offfense is lacking and it will flounder until if/when we can land some consistent finishers.
            We are going to have to be lucky to land and then keep on our recruit list some finishers. Smith has been able to get some, but then they find offers with higher profile schools. Perhaps Finn Brown will fit that role, but it is a question if he will be able to overpowers opponents on the college level as he does in the OJHL. Jake Gagnon was also a good scorer earlier in the year, but he has cooled off a lot (24 goals in his first 25 games and 5 in his last 23).
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              We are going to have to be lucky to land and then keep on our recruit list some finishers. Smith has been able to get some, but then they find offers with higher profile schools. Perhaps Finn Brown will fit that role, but it is a question if he will be able to overpowers opponents on the college level as he does in the OJHL. Jake Gagnon was also a good scorer earlier in the year, but he has cooled off a lot (24 goals in his first 25 games and 5 in his last 23).
              With the exodus of players after only a year or two (and I am not sure that happens more now than in the past) I can understand why a player would opt to go to a higher profile school. Better to be a 3rd or 4th line forward or third pair defenseman in a team with lots of draft picks than to be a first or second line or defenseman on a school like RPI. Lots more attention from pro scouts at the former than the latter. And team success doesn’t seem to matter much. BU isn’t in the top 20. And we have a better record than , say, Wisconsin. But given the choice......Going to tournaments is great and all, but I am sure lots of this guys are looking long term not short term .

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Even RPI calls them Havard. Or should it be Hahvaard?

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                    With the exodus of players after only a year or two (and I am not sure that happens more now than in the past) I can understand why a player would opt to go to a higher profile school. Better to be a 3rd or 4th line forward or third pair defenseman in a team with lots of draft picks than to be a first or second line or defenseman on a school like RPI. Lots more attention from pro scouts at the former than the latter. And team success doesn’t seem to matter much. BU isn’t in the top 20. And we have a better record than , say, Wisconsin. But given the choice......Going to tournaments is great and all, but I am sure lots of this guys are looking long term not short term .
                    Scouts will know about you and see you regardless of the league. They don't care what team you play for, they want to see your skill development over time. I still believe there's an argument to be made (and is being made by the likes of CCT, Cornell, Q, etc.) that "you can come here and be a top 6 guy or go there and sit in the stands for 1.5 or 2 years...)

Its never going to solve the problem of kids jumping ship, that issue is here to stay sadly. Smith seems to be on the right path... if one or two of his incoming signees can start lighting the lamp, then success will breed more recruiting wins I believe (hope ?).
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

So this is obviously wishful thinking, but if we assume that if we win out and every other game is won by the team that is "supposed to win" (i.e., is ranked higher in the current ECAC standings), we get the bye by virtue of splitting with Harvard and beating them in wins. Just something to think about.
                      RPI Pep Band
                      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                        Scouts will know about you and see you regardless of the league. They don't care what team you play for, they want to see your skill development over time. I still believe there's an argument to be made (and is being made by the likes of CCT, Cornell, Q, etc.) that "you can come here and be a top 6 guy or go there and sit in the stands for 1.5 or 2 years...)

Its never going to solve the problem of kids jumping ship, that issue is here to stay sadly. Smith seems to be on the right path... if one or two of his incoming signees can start lighting the lamp, then success will breed more recruiting wins I believe (hope ?).
                        Agree totally. I also do not think we are in a position to land the really top prospects. We may not even want them as you point out since many leave after a year or at most two (i.e. Pirri). This year we have some balanced scoring (no one over 9 goals as yet but lots of guys with double digits in points). I think that is not really all that bad and certainly an improvement over the past few years. We have the nucleus of some really good defensive pairings now as freshmen and sophomores. If we can add some balanced scoring (even without a star prospect), given our current goal tending, we could easily be competitive over the next couple years. We will be losing the top tier of our scoring after this season. But when you look a bit deeper and see that we do indeed have some double digit scoring in the younger classes, we may not be all that bad off.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                          So this is obviously wishful thinking, but if we assume that if we win out and every other game is won by the team that is "supposed to win" (i.e., is ranked higher in the current ECAC standings), we get the bye by virtue of splitting with Harvard and beating them in wins. Just something to think about.
                          A bye would be nice, but for me it is pie in the sky. i would be very happy if the boys can finish strong, regardless of what other teams do, and get 5th (6th at worst). Anything can happen in a playoff round but there seems to be a huge gap between SLU/Princeton and Union/Brown. We match up better against some teams and there are others I would like to avoid until we have to play them and hopefully that is in Lake Placid. Jenny and I have not been up at Placid since RPI made their last appearance and would absolutely be driving up to support them if they manage to get there this year.
                          In a perfect world would love the bye. But if not, give me SLU in Troy and hopefully followed by a visit to Harvard in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            A bye would be nice, but for me it is pie in the sky. i would be very happy if the boys can finish strong, regardless of what other teams do, and get 5th (6th at worst). Anything can happen in a playoff round but there seems to be a huge gap between SLU/Princeton and Union/Brown. We match up better against some teams and there are others I would like to avoid until we have to play them and hopefully that is in Lake Placid. Jenny and I have not been up at Placid since RPI made their last appearance and would absolutely be driving up to support them if they manage to get there this year.
                            In a perfect world would love the bye. But if not, give me SLU in Troy and hopefully followed by a visit to Harvard in the second round.
                            Totally agree with you. I'll be rooting for the unlikely scenario that they get the bye, but they can only control the games they play. If they take care of business, we should be seeing either Princeton or SLU in Troy

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                              Totally agree with you. I'll be rooting for the unlikely scenario that they get the bye, but they can only control the games they play. If they take care of business, we should be seeing either Princeton or SLU in Troy
                              What is really nice is that this year, for the first time in a while, we are discussing this so late in the year. This team has surprised many of us. This team has accomplished more than some of us thought. This team could still surprise many more. And this excitement we are feeling is for a team that is still a hair below being at .500! Can you imagine what will happen when we are a team that wins 20+ games per year or dare i say it, actually makes the 16 selected for the NCAA tournament? After following this program since 1963, i actually began to think a few years ago that I would not live long enough to see that happen. Thanks to the boys on this team and thanks to a coach who is getting the most out of what he has my optimism is returning. No, we are not there yet. But the seeds are being planted and I think we may be seeing some pretty decent crop yields soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                What is really nice is that this year, for the first time in a while, we are discussing this so late in the year. This team has surprised many of us. This team has accomplished more than some of us thought. This team could still surprise many more. And this excitement we are feeling is for a team that is still a hair below being at .500! Can you imagine what will happen when we are a team that wins 20+ games per year or dare i say it, actually makes the 16 selected for the NCAA tournament and scores a goal.? After following this program since 1963, i actually began to think a few years ago that I would not live long enough to see that happen. Thanks to the boys on this team and thanks to a coach who is getting the most out of what he has my optimism is returning. No, we are not there yet. But the seeds are being planted and I think we may be seeing some pretty decent crop yields soon.
                                FYP

(I do agree with you.)
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X