Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    We will need a German flag for the HFH rafters in 2022. The women's team has a recruit from there arriving in 2022. See my recent posts on the women's thread.

And she is from Hammelburg which is the town near the prison camp where Hogan's Heroes took place.
    Maybe we just need a California state flag as that's the closest Colonel Hogan and his heroes ever came to Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    Maybe we just need a California state flag as that's the closest Colonel Hogan and his heroes ever came to Germany.
    It turns out that she is currently playing for the German 18U team at the D1A WJC in Füssen, Germany. As I write this, it is between the first and second periods of the final game vs. Japan with the winner advancing to the top tier next year. It's at Füssen if anyone wants to fall asleep for a while. https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/.../15-jpn-vs-ger (Nina Christof #6 in white)

Anyway, I attended a hockey game in 1977 in Füssen. Clearly, it is a new rink because that one was open at one end and fans were used to blow air to the advantage of the home team. The game was against an Italian team and I was very surprised to see that Dino Serra (RPI '77) was playing for that team.

Let's see, I am talking about an RPI woman recruit and an alum, so this belongs on any RPI thread except this one.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-09-2020 at 12:51 PM.

I Still bleed RPI Red

It turns out that she is currently playing for the German 18U team at the D1A WJC in Füssen, Germany. As I write this, it is between the first and second periods of the final game vs. Japan with the winner advancing to the top tier next year. It's at Füssen if anyone wants to fall asleep for a while. https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/.../15-jpn-vs-ger (Nina Christof #6 in white)

Anyway, I attended a hockey game in 1977 in Füssen. Clearly, it is a new rink because that one was open at one end and fans were used to blow air to the advantage of the home team. The game was against an Italian team and I was very surprised to see that Dino Serra (RPI '77) was playing for that team.

Let's see, I am talking about an RPI woman recruit and an alum, so this belongs on any RPI thread except this one.
    Coach Harkness reportedly had the doors opened on the stage end of the rink for our boys when we were going in the direction so we were skating with the wind. i seem to remember a report that a number of ceiling light bulbs malfunctioned some evenings but only above the visiting goaltender (not sure i believe that one). Even if the stories are not true, legend has it that he did what ever was necessary to gain an advantage and perhaps that extra oxygen won us our first national championship??
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Coach Harkness reportedly had the doors opened on the stage end of the rink for our boys when we were going in the direction so we were skating with the wind. i seem to remember a report that a number of ceiling light bulbs malfunctioned some evenings but only above the visiting goaltender (not sure i believe that one). Even if the stories are not true, legend has it that he did what ever was necessary to gain an advantage and perhaps that extra oxygen won us our first national championship??
    Those oxygen takes which he used in the 1954 finals were supposedly empty, but the players didn't know that.
    My recollection about the game which I saw in Füssen was that the fans blew away the fog which developed at the open end when it was it was to the home team's advantage. It's been over 40 years, so my memory needs some fog blown away too.

Based on the teams in that field, D1A is not at the top of the totem pole. How many levels do they have for women's hockey?

Based on the teams in that field, D1A is not at the top of the totem pole. How many levels do they have for women's hockey?
    I am pretty sure that it is 3 levels with this and D1B, which is in parallel, being in the middle level. They advance for next year when she should still be eligible since she is an '03. She was already playing on the national team two years ago as a 14 year old.

What is weird is that Neutral Zone rates her as 2.75 which is not of NCAA D-I quality. I don't subscribe to the women's reports anymore so I can't read her reviews.

mascot extraordinaire
    What is everyone Füssen over this for?

I Still bleed RPI Red

Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    What is everyone Füssen over this for?
    I just am hoping she brings over some fine Riesling or Kirschwasser!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    I just am hoping she brings over some fine Riesling or Kirschwasser!!
    Du spass machen?

Quote Originally Posted by fr. joe View Post
    Du spass machen?
    "Machst du Spaß?" would be better. Not necessarily correct, but better.

Ralph, how can I modify my keyboard for full German characters?
    Last edited by fr. joe; 01-10-2020 at 12:27 AM.

More idiomatic

There is a way, but switching between the two would drive me nuts, so I just use a word processor and cut and paste.

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow

If you're on Windows:

https://www.irongeek.com/alt-numpad-a...and-chart.html

You'll want ä (0228), ö (0246), ü (0252), Ä (0196), Ö (0214), Ü (0220), and ß (0223). While holding Alt, enter the number combination on your NumPad (the thing on the right side of the keyboard that looks like a calculator).

I think the summary of tonight's game is that Cornell is just a much better team. The goalie change midway through the looked like it had been decided before the game; if it was indeed decided that way, it's an odd approach in a game like this, although may not have made a difference in the end. Not much news comes out of the team about injuries, etc., but some of the mix-and-match lineups don't make sense if they aren't created by injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    I think the summary of tonight's game is that Cornell is just a much better team. The goalie change midway through the looked like it had been decided before the game; if it was indeed decided that way, it's an odd approach in a game like this, although may not have made a difference in the end. Not much news comes out of the team about injuries, etc., but some of the mix-and-match lineups don't make sense if they aren't created by injuries.
    I figured it was to rouse the team. If so, I think that it served its purpose.

im hoping with finish 7th or 8th and get home ice for first round. even though our records better on the road. I don't see any scenarios we get higher than that.

I figured it was to rouse the team. If so, I think that it served its purpose.
    Smith's comments after the game confirm your sense. But based on the timing of it (a couple minutes after the third goal, rather than immediately after) and watching the body language of Alec and Linden, it gave me a different feeling.

The shot totals continued to converge after the change but that trend was already underway before the switch was made; RPI was already outshooting Cornell 2 to 1 in the second period before Marshall was pulled. This RPI team always hangs in there, but Cornell still looked in command to me; only a handful of RPI shots tested the goaltender in a meaningful way, or were from high-percentage positions. I got the sense Cornell took its foot off the gas a bit too. You just have to tip your hat to Cornell. That is a very good team that is on a different level than RPI.

Quote Originally Posted by puckit717 View Post
    im hoping with finish 7th or 8th and get home ice for first round. even though our records better on the road. I don't see any scenarios we get higher than that.
    I think positions 5 through 8 are up for grabs; I don't think there is a huge gap in talent between the teams outside of the top 3 or 4. Home playoffs should definitely be a target for RPI.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    Smith's comments after the game confirm your sense. But based on the timing of it (a couple minutes after the third goal, rather than immediately after) and watching the body language of Alec and Linden, it gave me a different feeling.

The shot totals continued to converge after the change but that trend was already underway before the switch was made; RPI was already outshooting Cornell 2 to 1 in the second period before Marshall was pulled. This RPI team always hangs in there, but Cornell still looked in command to me; only a handful of RPI shots tested the goaltender in a meaningful way, or were from high-percentage positions. I got the sense Cornell took its foot off the gas a bit too. You just have to tip your hat to Cornell. That is a very good team that is on a different level than RPI.
    Agreed...RPI only gained their zone my guess is less than 10 times with the puck on a stick the rest were all dump in's' there were a few scrums in front of the net that had potential to dirty a few goals in but most were perimeter shots easily handled by Galajda. None of this was unexpected it was Cornell being Cornell they are the #2 team in the country for a reason but I must say the talent gap and size discrepancy was both startling and depressing. Tonight should be a better match up for us.
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information