Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Here is a suggestion to replace the Mayor’s Cup:
      Have a 2-night event in which 2 teams would be brought in. In one year, RPI would play the late game both nights, and the following year, Union would be the host and play the late game both nights. This way, fans from both schools can still attend. The women can still play the Cup game if they wish. It would just be on a different date.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Despite the good feeling from tonight's win, if the Mayor's Cup game disappeared, I wouldn't miss it. (Even though any win over Union is a good win.)

It is such a contrived event. Two league games a year are enough. Need more of Union? Pull for a playoff pairing. Now that's meaningful drama!

Prior to last weekend's ECAC matches against Brown and Yale, the Times Union's Friday sports coverage featured the press conference between the coaches over the coverage of the weekend slate of league matches which was buried deep inside the sports section.

Did I mention that the Cup was contested in the Times Union Center? The Cup, like the TU's naming rights for the arena, are all about the sizzle, not the steak.
        Last edited by fr. joe; 01-25-2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Not sure what to make of tonight's game, although it was good to have this group of seniors get a Mayor's Cup win. The tempo just seemed a little flat after a dominant first period. In fairness, both goaltenders were good tonight, but I thought there was a lack of quality on display in the key moments. Maybe the rumors about the bad ice at the TU Center are true.

And congrats to linesman Mike Emanatian on his last game. I remember when he was reffing my games as a kid 30+ years ago.

Comment

• I have an idea. How about everybody that dosen't like the Mayors Cup game gives it a break. The kids love the game. It triples the attendance of many home games for both schools and it gets more press coverage than any other game!. If you dont like it, dont go!
            Last edited by johnk; 01-25-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

The obligatory team picture.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                Here is a suggestion to replace the Mayor’s Cup:
                Have a 2-night event in which 2 teams would be brought in. In one year, RPI would play the late game both nights, and the following year, Union would be the host and play the late game both nights. This way, fans from both schools can still attend. The women can still play the Cup game if they wish. It would just be on a different date.
                I think that is a sterling idea! How about we do it and host it at the HFH and call it the RPI Invitational Tournament!
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  I think that is a sterling idea! How about we do it and host it at the HFH and call it the RPI Invitational Tournament!
                  And the problem would still be that in order to get quality opponents we would have to agree to play two games in each of their rinks. It would mean a total of more road games for us than home games.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. This would have to be something that we would work with Union on doing.
                    For example, let’s say that we would host this event next season and invite BC and BU. The following year, Union would be hosting this event and say they would invite UMass and Lowell. In that year, we would be traveling to BC and BU. After that, it would be RPI’s turn again and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                      I have an idea. How about everybody that dosen't like the Mayors Cup game gives it a break. The kids love the game. It triples the attendance of many home games for both schools and it gets more press coverage than any other game!. If you dont like it, dont go!
                      Right on. Over 6,000 people again last night. I don't understand the objections to the Mayor's Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                        That wasn’t exactly what I had in mind. This would have to be something that we would work with Union on doing.
                        For example, let’s say that we would host this event next season and invite BC and BU. The following year, Union would be hosting this event and say they would invite UMass and Lowell. In that year, we would be traveling to BC and BU. After that, it would be RPI’s turn again and so on.
                        I do not understand how this is any different from a regular season non-conference arrangement or a holiday tournament. If RPI couldn't make the scheduling work to keep the Christmas tournament alive, I do not think an alternative Mayor's Cup would be enough to draw outside teams in to create what you envision here.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          The young ladies at RPI deserve far better and MacElroy needs to get off his can and take action. That SAJ has allowed the dumpster fire to go on this long is equally telling. There are many talented, experienced and qualified WOMEN coaches out there who would kill to have a D1 HC job. I know all of the reasons why they haven't made a change, but seriously.... a joke.
                          I haven't watched a single RPI women's game live (which is contributing to one problem of a lack of support for the team) so it is not for me to say what the problems are or what the solutions should be. I know they lost an exceptional goaltender, but what else has contributed to a really difficult season?

Comment

I enjoy going to the TU Center for the Mayors Cup each year. It’s nice to see both schools get a little bit more publicity during a time when Siena and UAlbany basketball and high school sports get the bulk of the local coverage.

I see lots of kids and families at this game and it really brings the two communities together for one night at least.

The ice looked terrible to me but I’m not an expert on that subject. However you can see both teams struggle at times with puck possession. Can’t really expect perfect ice conditions when it is put down maybe twice a year now for Disney on Ice and the Mayors Cup. Not to mention a Siena hoops game played Friday night and a game today at 3 pm. Shoutout to the crew at the TU for the quick turnarounds this weekend.

Can Savory finally get the bulk of the starts moving forward, I don’t know what else he needs to prove to make this happen.
                            Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                              I haven't watched a single RPI women's game live (which is contributing to one problem of a lack of support for the team) so it is not for me to say what the problems are or what the solutions should be. I know they lost an exceptional goaltender, but what else has contributed to a really difficult season?
                              Complete and total lack of offense. RPI hasn't scored more than one goal in a game except for the 5-4 loss to Clarkson and the 2-2 tie with Holy Cross and has scored 0 goals in 15 of 27 games. Adding injury to insult, our top scorer (with a whopping 4 goals) has been hurt for the last few weeks and will reportedly be out for the season. We get outshot by nearly 23 shots per game (not actually that much worse than last year where we were down about 19 shots/gm), but as you said, our goaltending went from Selander (.942 sv%, an otherworldly talent) to a mix of Nystrom and Rampado (combined .919%, which is still pretty decent).
                              RPI Pep Band
                              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                                I enjoy going to the TU Center for the Mayors Cup each year. It’s nice to see both schools get a little bit more publicity during a time when Siena and UAlbany basketball and high school sports get the bulk of the local coverage.

I see lots of kids and families at this game and it really brings the two communities together for one night at least.

The ice looked terrible to me but I’m not an expert on that subject. However you can see both teams struggle at times with puck possession. Can’t really expect perfect ice conditions when it is put down maybe twice a year now for Disney on Ice and the Mayors Cup. Not to mention a Siena hoops game played Friday night and a game today at 3 pm. Shoutout to the crew at the TU for the quick turnarounds this weekend.

Can Savory finally get the bulk of the starts moving forward, I don’t know what else he needs to prove to make this happen.
                                Well said. I don't think Savory has done much wrong to have his playing time reduced, but I am okay with a tandem with Calvaruso. Our defense requires our goalies to work hard and I think Calvaruso has played well in limited opportunities (e.g. some great saves against Yale to prevent it from getting embarrassing). Good to keep both relatively fresh for an eventual playoff run where I think you have to go with your best goalie every night.

Comment

Working...
                                X