Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    1917 is the best movie I have seen in a LONG time. If it doesnt win Best Picture and Best Director the it will be the biggest farce since Saving Private Ryan.
    I do want to see it. Maybe I'll catch it on Monday, if it's playing around here (day off). I've heard it's "one continuous take?" The only other movie I saw like that is "Russian Ark." FTR, I thought that movie was way too artsy, but the one-take bit...that was indeed awesome.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      I do want to see it. Maybe I'll catch it on Monday, if it's playing around here (day off). I've heard it's "one continuous take?" The only other movie I saw like that is "Russian Ark." FTR, I thought that movie was way too artsy, but the one-take bit...that was indeed awesome.
      It looks like it is yes though there is a couple of cuts.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Cool. A one-take movie...man.....that's some work.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          I’m told that if you’re paying exceptionally close attention to some of the set pieces that you’ll see some minor flubs along the way, but you’ll never notice them if you’re paying attention to the actual story. (I didn’t notice them.)
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I can't find the exact article (but there are a few that discuss similar), but it was pieced together from ~10-ish minute chunks. I also read there is one obvious cut near the middle.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Legend:
              Identical twin gangsters Ronald and Reginald Kray terrorize London during the 1960s.

Tom Hardy plays both roles of the identical twin brothers. There is also a documentary on Netflix about this (which is really good). Reggie was actually the smart one, and Ronnie was certified insane (and paranoid schizo), and also openly gay, which was a big no-no back then.

Very interesting arc, especially given the times. Hardy does well in the contrast of personalities of the brothers. Emily Browning (American Gods) is the narrator/background voice; I really like her work in this. Good watch if you're into crime movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I’m told that if you’re paying exceptionally close attention to some of the set pieces that you’ll see some minor flubs along the way, but you’ll never notice them if you’re paying attention to the actual story. (I didn’t notice them.)
                I think I saw a couple but it was not obvious outside of when the guy was unconscious.

But honestly if someone told me it was one shot I would buy it. Best cinematography since Birdman.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think I saw a couple but it was not obvious outside of when the guy was unconscious.

But honestly if someone told me it was one shot I would buy it. Best cinematography since Birdman.
                  Ooooh. Ooooh. Birdman was one I was curious about, and came away very impressed. Such a weird story, but yeah, loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    Cool. A one-take movie...man.....that's some work.
                    Iirc, didn’t Ark get it on the second take or something like that? They were running out of time on the museum rental and had to basically nail it or not shoot there.

We had to watch that movie in film class in college. I was glad to have seen it while taking a film studies class. Never would have appreciated it.

I remember our prof was amazing. He didn’t so much do the “art film” crap and stuck to the technical merits. Mostly cinematography. I liked him.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Iirc, didn’t Ark get it on the second take or something like that? They were running out of time on the museum rental and had to basically nail it or not shoot there.

We had to watch that movie in film class in college. I was glad to have seen it while taking a film studies class. Never would have appreciated it.

I remember our prof was amazing. He didn’t so much do the “art film” crap and stuck to the technical merits. Mostly cinematography. I liked him.
                      That might have been the case. I fully appreciated the effort that went into that movie....that was simply AMAZING. That many working parts, holy crap. The presentation lost me, though.

Comment

One of the most famous movies to try to create a "one take" look, and one of my all time favorite movies, is Alfred Hitchcock's Rope, his spin on the notorious Leopold/Loeb murders. Of course in Hitchcock's time the technology to actually film a "one take" movie didn't exist, but he sure made it look like it did.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

IT Chapter Two:

Where do I begin?
                          The first 3/4 of the movie was so good. Creepy moments are beyond creepy, the flashback scenes were done well. Then it went off the rails, only to have a fantastic ending. The casting was spot-on. It gave a back-story to the sci-fi ending of the book (thankfully), and the running inside joke was HILARIOUS. The Bad Ending

All in all, great movie(s), pretty darn true to the book as to the story overall, highly recommend. Yes, it's almost 3 hours long, and I attribute that to the flashback parts. If they cut those, it'd be about a 2 hour movie or so.

Comment

It Chapter 2 was awful. None of the adults were reviewing interesting and the scares weren't creepy they were almost jokes. I don't know what they were thinking...
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

It Chapter 2 was awful. None of the adults were reviewing interesting and the scares weren't creepy they were almost jokes. I don't know what they were thinking...
                              I fully disagree. Even as a fanboy, that last 1/4 was a complete mess, there is no doubt there. The rest of it...I thought it was very good, and as I said, they saved the story with the very end. The background things weren't creepy? Really? C'mon man, you're almost wearing a beret here...or assuming Kepler's ID.

Comment

I fully disagree. Even as a fanboy, that last 1/4 was a complete mess, there is no doubt there. The rest of it...I thought it was very good, and as I said, they saved the story with the very end. The background things weren't creepy? Really? C'mon man, you're almost wearing a beret here...or assuming Kepler's ID.
                                No they were completely forced. The stupid one where the zombie puked on the kid while easy listening played in the background was such a bad Evil Dead knockoff Sam Raimi should sue. And dont even get me started on the "Bad Dude" with the knife who was brought out of a coma by Pennywise for...reasons?

Chapter 1 was great because the kids were awesome and Pennywise was in the perfect amount of the film. Chapter 2 was a meandering piece of fluff where the adults were annoying, the kids were now too old so they had to de-age them, and Pennywise went from creepy and scary to almost a joke. If this is what the book is like than the "Gag" of the film was absolutely true.

I love a good scary film, I really love a good creepy film. (hence loving Part 1) This was neither. This felt like a cash grab...and not a very entertaining one at that.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X