Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The Golden Globes are voted upon by the Hollywood Foreign Press.
    Good. It means snotty poseurs like me, not daaaaaaaaaaaw shucks hillbillies like Handy. (Is it Handy or the other guy? I can never remember. Crap I think it's the other guy. Crap, crap, I can't remember the other guy's name. This is like Scooby and Slap Shot, I mix everybody up who I haven't gotten drunk with. Handy, who do I mix you up with? He's nothing like you.)

Edit: I think it's Rube né Brentoven. That would make sense. But I can't remember which one hates me for my movie snobbery more and which one is just envious of my rugged good looks.

Edit: the hell is the "Cecil B. deMille Award" for? Career recognition and/or an apology to Hanks for not giving him an award this one year?
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-10-2020, 02:23 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Recommend?
      As a Wings fan, fu** yeah!

Trying to be non-biased: yes. It is heavily Red Wings influenced, but it does a good job of going into just how fly by the seat of their pants the NHL, especially the Wings, went about getting these guys. There is a little bit where you feel teased though and want to know more of the inner workings that felt glossed over. It also provides a look into just how the Wings, and Scotty Bowman, captured lighting in a bottle for years.

It was an instant buy for me on Amazon as a Wings fan, but it would be a good rental from Amazon for any fan of the NHL in the '90s.

Also, it made me miss pre-accident Konstantinov. What could have been...

*Edit* It's an excellent compliment to the earlier documentary Red Army, which does go more in depth on the USSR side of things.
      Last edited by aparch; 01-10-2020, 02:35 PM.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Russian Five?

Honestly, I'd watch a documentary about them, too.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Recommend?
          Very much so.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

As aparch noted, for Red Wing fans it's a no-brainer. But for anyone who is just a hockey fan in general, I think you'll enjoy the "behind the scenes" look at what occurred, from the guys who were actually there. For someone like me who has been a very big hockey fan for decades, and obviously was aware of the addition of Russian players in the 1990's, I had no idea there were members of NHL front offices sitting in running cars in dark alleys behind arenas with literally duffel bags full of hundred dollar bills trying to get a Russian player to get in the car and not return to his room. Just thinking about it from the Russian player's standpoint, it must have been a bit terrifying as well.

That, together with learning more about the relationship/hierarchy between the Russian players, and how just adding the three youngest and most talented wasn't enough, but they needed to add the two older, most respected Russian players to the mix to create the winning formula, really made it interesting.

Edit: As an added bonus, you get to see clips of Don Cherry at his xenophobic best. It may be a bit heartbreaking to you, though because the guy behind it all was the assistant general manager of the Islanders during their great run 40 years ago, and supposedly one of the reasons for their success, Jim Devellano. Detroit hired him away in 1982.
            Last edited by SJHovey; 01-10-2020, 03:36 PM.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Where did you go Bernadette?

5 of 5.

Wonderful film. I enjoyed every minute.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Good. It means snotty poseurs like me, not daaaaaaaaaaaw shucks hillbillies like Handy. (Is it Handy or the other guy? I can never remember. Crap I think it's the other guy. Crap, crap, I can't remember the other guy's name. This is like Scooby and Slap Shot, I mix everybody up who I haven't gotten drunk with. Handy, who do I mix you up with? He's nothing like you.)
                Handy's a hipster, not a hillbilly...not sure who the resident hillbilly is here.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  Handy's a hipster, not a hillbilly...not sure who the resident hillbilly is here.
                  I'd say Sic but the lack of hills in North Dakota is a bit of a impediment.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Where did you go Bernadette?

5 of 5.

Wonderful film. I enjoyed every minute.
                    It got panned badly, but I saw it since I loved the book. Book was way better, but it always is. Blanchett was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      I'd say Sic but the lack of hills in North Dakota is a bit of a impediment.
                      As you sit in your backwoods Alaska cabin ...
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        On my flight back yesterday I watched The Russian Five, a documentary about the five Russian players who played for the Red Wings in the 1990's, the process of getting the players on the team, and their battle to finally win the Cup.
                        That's a solid doc, though as a Wings fan it didn't tell me much that I didn't already know.

Comment

Recommend?
                          One of the fun things about the Russian Five is that it's quite a bit cold was spy theme. Pretty fun on that front. Especially for those of us who lived through that time.

For the non Wings fan, I can see the end getting kinda old, but we loved it here.

I saw it last summer at a special screening, when they were still raising money for Konstantinov's continuing aid needs.

Comment

I don't see these in the same category at all. Once Upon a Time is a very smart and painterly movie, Knives Out is a fun, disposable one.
                            Crap, I just agreed with Kep on something.

Comment

Saw 3 movies last week...

Having not read the book ever in our lives, we didn't know anything about Little Women. But are fans of some of the actors, and moreso Greta Gerwig (we met her at a movie event a few years ago)- so went in open minded. We liked it quite a bit. Sure, it's a chick flick, but not some endless romantic movie- it's a good story.

Uncut Gems was really good- we were on the edge of our seat for most of the movie. NOT an Adam Sandler movie- so don't expect his typical role. It will sound like him, and some of his actions are something you've seen before- but he's nothing like what you would expect. We came out of that movie with a serious buzz.

Fabulous Fungi- very interesting documentary about fungus and mushrooms. Good timing, too, since we have a friend who may be able to use some of the info as he battles cancer... You get to see a lot of time lapse of growing fungi, and it's really captivating.

Comment

Edit: I think it's Rube né Brentoven. That would make sense. But I can't remember which one hates me for my movie snobbery more and which one is just envious of my rugged good looks.

Edit: the hell is the "Cecil B. deMille Award" for? Career recognition and/or an apology to Hanks for not giving him an award this one year?
                                Good lord dude. I have corrected you on this like 12 times
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X