X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    It is ridiculous how much I love that film

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      It is ridiculous how much I love that film

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Finally saw The King, the 2019 version of the Henriad. Excellent work. Lots of wonderful little touches if you know the Shakespeare really well.

Spoiler: My god, what a burn on Cheney.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

A funny and thoughtful analysis of the Hellraiser series.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

https://***********/i/status/1249795652336250880
            Cornell University

Comment

Parasite:

The following review of mine piggybacks another review from a Gopher Puck Live poster, and I have included that poster's post, as I am directly responding to it:

Snowcool08 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:05 am
              I watched Parasite last night. It was meh for me. I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I went on IMDB to read some reviews. Apparently a lot of people like it because it's a social commentary on class in society. Maybe it is, but I didn't think that was the main point of the movie. It didn't do a whole lot for me.
              Just watched this. That was EXACTLY the point of the movie, with a secondary point of no matter what class you're in, you're still a parasite. The rich people still needed to clamp on to something/someone else to function.

I thought it was very well done, the continuing theme of "the smell" (I don't want to say too much) being the point of the arrow that is being drawn in this movie. The final shot of the movie really drives home the purpose/message, also. Kudos to every actor/actress in this movie. Not one really stood out. They all were shining performances.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I thought the movie was fantastic even without any social commentary. It was well written and well acted. Me thinks the people who are running it down are exposing their political sensitivities, not making aesthetic judgments.

It deserved the Oscar.
                Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I thought the movie was fantastic even without any social commentary. It was well written and well acted. Me thinks the people who are running it down are exposing their political sensitivities, not making aesthetic judgments.

It deserved the Oscar.
                  Definitely deserving of the Oscar. I'll probably watch it again to catch some of the finer points of the movie. I did like all the foreshadowing in the story. Very well done.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

It deserved the Oscar.
                    Agreed. The commentary can add on to its strengths, but even ignoring that it's just a fun story to follow and you honestly don't know where it's going next, which is rare nowadays.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      Agreed. The commentary can add on to its strengths, but even ignoring that it's just a fun story to follow and you honestly don't know where it's going next, which is rare nowadays.
                      It's an Asian movie. You can almost guarantee you have no idea where it'll go next.

Comment

So wait...if you dont like Parasite it is because of political reasons? That is a new one to me. Most people I know who didnt like it thought it was just kind of boring.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          So wait...if you dont like Parasite it is because of political reasons? That is a new one to me. Most people I know who didnt like it thought it was just kind of boring.
                          I can't comment on political stuff, but it was far from boring, unless one only watches stuff that Michael Bay does.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            Parasite:

The following review of mine piggybacks another review from a Gopher Puck Live poster, and I have included that poster's post, as I am directly responding to it:

Just watched this. That was EXACTLY the point of the movie, with a secondary point of no matter what class you're in, you're still a parasite. The rich people still needed to clamp on to something/someone else to function.

I thought it was very well done, the continuing theme of "the smell" (I don't want to say too much) being the point of the arrow that is being drawn in this movie. The final shot of the movie really drives home the purpose/message, also. Kudos to every actor/actress in this movie. Not one really stood out. They all were shining performances.
                            Good lord, if someone didn’t think the main point of thr movie was class in society, what did they think it was about??

I get that not everyone sees the same thing but holy cow how could someone miss that

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              Good lord, if someone didn’t think the main point of thr movie was class in society, what did they think it was about??

I get that not everyone sees the same thing but holy cow how could someone miss that
                              I'm guessing a simple "scam artist" movie? That's the only other angle I could see being taken.Kinda like "The Hustler" or something. I will admit, though, that'd be a stretch.

Comment

Popped in the original Scarface (1932). One instance where the remake was just as good as the original. Modernized, sure, but one kinda has to do that with a 50 year difference in time.

The original was sorta pre-code/censor, so it got away with a lot for its time. Even for today's standards, it's a violent movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X