Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

The Two Popes:

Behind Vatican walls, the conservative Pope Benedict XVI and the liberal future Pope Francis must find common ground to forge a new path for the Catholic Church.

This is a very slow movie, a very tedious one, but it is worth a watch. It doesn't gloss over the fallibility of the Church, but it does provide a touch of humanity to these men who were/are The Pope. The acting is very well done, and while the story is mostly fiction (as in private convos and such), it was presented in an impressive fashion.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I heard a really interesting comment on a media review site a few weeks ago. They were talking about the history of TV dramas and one person said "Cowboy dramas were a staple of TV in the 50s and early 60s and then they disappeared." The other said, "No, they never disappeared. They just became cop shows."
      I forget the site I saw it on, but someone pointed out that the genre of Westerns lasted longer on the Silver Screen than it did in real life. I think it was almost twice as long.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I heard a really interesting comment on a media review site a few weeks ago. They were talking about the history of TV dramas and one person said "Cowboy dramas were a staple of TV in the 50s and early 60s and then they disappeared." The other said, "No, they never disappeared. They just became cop shows."
        I like the xkcd comic pointing out western shows were around longer than the actual historical western period.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I forget the site I saw it on, but someone pointed out that the genre of Westerns lasted longer on the Silver Screen than it did in real life. I think it was almost twice as long.
          Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          I like the xkcd comic pointing out western shows were around longer than the actual historical western period.
          Thank you!!!! That's where I saw it!
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            The Two Popes:

Behind Vatican walls, the conservative Pope Benedict XVI and the liberal future Pope Francis must find common ground to forge a new path for the Catholic Church.

This is a very slow movie, a very tedious one, but it is worth a watch. It doesn't gloss over the fallibility of the Church, but it does provide a touch of humanity to these men who were/are The Pope. The acting is very well done, and while the story is mostly fiction (as in private convos and such), it was presented in an impressive fashion.
            I can't believe you would call it "tedious." This movie was fascinating.

A when you said "slow," you were misspelling "thoughtful."
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I can't believe you would call it "tedious." This movie was fascinating.

A when you said "slow," you were misspelling "thoughtful."
              Tedious: too slow. And as I mentioned, it's worth it.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Speaking of Clint, just watched The Mule.

Based on a true story which to me was very intriguing. I thought there were some strong performances, but the movie was a bit saccharine given the subject matter. I am sure that was intentional and perhaps that's the tone of the source material (NYT article), but I thought it could have been a bit deeper which would cement it more for me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Speaking of Clint, just watched The Mule.

Based on a true story which to me was very intriguing. I thought there were some strong performances, but the movie was a bit saccharine given the subject matter. I am sure that was intentional and perhaps that's the tone of the source material (NYT article), but I thought it could have been a bit deeper which would cement it more for me personally.
                  I'd have to agree with you. Maybe it was saccharine because that what Clint's character was, overall? He was just an old guy working a job (one that he thought was an honest one at first) because that's all he really knew what to do. "Here's some money. Drive here." "Okay."

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    I'd have to agree with you. Maybe it was saccharine because that what Clint's character was, overall? He was just an old guy working a job (one that he thought was an honest one at first) because that's all he really knew what to do. "Here's some money. Drive here." "Okay."
                    It was OK, but the SNL riff on it was great.

This was a superhero movie for old people about a guy whose superpower is that he can drive unsupervised. Fulfilling another elderly grandpa fantasy: that a 90-year-old white man can do any job better than a Mexican, even when the job is Mexican drug trafficking.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      It was OK, but the SNL riff on it was great.
                      LOL, that's pretty good.

Comment

mookie just watched all the president's men again.

should be required watching for everyone at least once every two years.

recognized lili braden in there. amazingly she had roles in three of the greatest films ever made

atpm
                        slap shot
                        the verdict (she was the nurse that was being hidden until the final trial scene. very good work)

well done ma'am. well done.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          mookie just watched all the president's men again.

should be required watching for everyone at least once every two years.

recognized lili braden in there. amazingly she had roles in three of the greatest films ever made

atpm
                          slap shot
                          the verdict (she was the nurse that was being hidden until the final trial scene. very good work)

well done ma'am. well done.
                          They teach you to underline in college.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            They teach you to underline in college.
                            Classic

Comment

Netflix showing Spenser Confidential next weekend.

Comment

Watching Singin' in the Rain for the 6th or 7th time during the TCM Oscars Month. Hard to compare a musical with Casablanca (adventure) or Citizen Kane (art house) but by plenty of measures it has a claim to be the best movie ever made.

What's the best mystery / detective movie ever made? My personal favorite is Double Indemnity, but I can also see arguments for The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, The Third Man, The Thin Man, Vertigo, Laura, Chinatown.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 02-28-2020, 07:25 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X