Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    You are not the Maitre'D. But, you do come across as "pinkies up" quite often when it comes to movies.
    I like some of the worst films ever made unironically...my pinky is never up except to mock those that look for the hidden meanings even the writers and directors don't know about
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Pam Grier double feature last night.

Coffy & Foxy Brown

Nothing beats Pam blowing a dudes head off & giving an evil woman her boy friends pickled wang
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Hollywood has taken another step down the "No New Ideas" path that we seem to have been on the past 5-6 years... Zach Snyder is getting a full do-over with JUSTICE LEAGUE and we'll see it released on HBO MAX next Spring.

From what it sounds like, they really do believe that they can make a different movie out of this. Snyder will be given a $20 million budget to complete VFX work on stuff that was already shot and will also include some new stuff. Personally I haven't seen any "recut" movies. (BLADE RUNNER and the original SUPERMAN's "Donner Cut" seem to be most well known examples of this occurring). It's gonna be interesting to see how the spoiler-factor here plays with my ability to judge/enjoy this...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          Hollywood has taken another step down the "No New Ideas" path that we seem to have been on the past 5-6 years... Zach Snyder is getting a full do-over with JUSTICE LEAGUE and we'll see it released on HBO MAX next Spring.

From what it sounds like, they really do believe that they can make a different movie out of this. Snyder will be given a $20 million budget to complete VFX work on stuff that was already shot and will also include some new stuff. Personally I haven't seen any "recut" movies. (BLADE RUNNER and the original SUPERMAN's "Donner Cut" seem to be most well known examples of this occurring). It's gonna be interesting to see how the spoiler-factor here plays with my ability to judge/enjoy this...
          From what I've read, when Joss Whedon took over after a majority of production was done, he added/modified 80 pages to the script, wrote out whole characters that Snyder had used, and other large changes. The entire Henry Cavill CGI mouth was because of Whedon's dramatic changes from Zach Snyder's cut.

Twenty Million would have likely been spent in advertising to promote why *yet another* streaming service is needed, so why not get a little return from it? The eyeballs that will watch this, along with the word of mouth, will cover (or exceed) what their marketing team would have likely done anyway.

*edit*
          I own the Blade Runner Final Cut, but have never seen the theatrical release or directors cut, so I can't compare. From what I've read about Blade Runner, it was just an argument over the ending and a couple scenes. The Justice League recut is practically a brand new film.
          Last edited by aparch; 05-21-2020, 08:17 AM.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Nothing beats Pam blowing a dude
            Last edited by Kepler; 05-21-2020, 10:24 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

That isnt exactly the case. They are just releasing his cut of the film which is still like 75% of the final film just taking out the changes after he was forced to leave the project due to his daughter's suicide. The coloring will be different, a lot of the humor will be taken out and all of the reshoots will be gone. Oh and there will be a tease that is never paid off because there will never be a sequel. It isnt Hollywood having no new ideas it is basically one step above adding special features or as you mention stuff like the "Donner Cut". It is for collectors and fanboys and not much else. This stuff has been around forever and it is easy to ignore.

This is not a full do over, it is just them getting his whiny fanbros who post on everything they put on social media to shut up. (#ReleasetheSnyderCut) My guess is if you like his films you will think it is alright but if you dont you wont. Personally, I dont much care because while I tend to like his films I am done with that vision of the heroes I care about. I followed the production of that film quite a bit so I know the gist of what is different and it isnt enough for me to care.
              Last edited by Handyman; 05-21-2020, 10:25 AM.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Brion James double feature today.... tango & cash / striking distance
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  That isnt exactly the case. They are just releasing his cut of the film which is still like 75% of the final film just taking out the changes after he was forced to leave the project due to his daughter's suicide. The coloring will be different, a lot of the humor will be taken out and all of the reshoots will be gone. Oh and there will be a tease that is never paid off because there will never be a sequel. It isnt Hollywood having no new ideas it is basically one step above adding special features or as you mention stuff like the "Donner Cut". It is for collectors and fanboys and not much else. This stuff has been around forever and it is easy to ignore.

This is not a full do over, it is just them getting his whiny fanbros who post on everything they put on social media to shut up. (#ReleasetheSnyderCut) My guess is if you like his films you will think it is alright but if you dont you wont. Personally, I dont much care because while I tend to like his films I am done with that vision of the heroes I care about. I followed the production of that film quite a bit so I know the gist of what is different and it isnt enough for me to care.
                  I'm starting to appreciate from posts like this that one reason comic book movies leave me meh is I have no window (or TBH interest) into all this context that occurs leading up to the movie. My experience begins and ends with the film, but you guys who care have a whole life cycle from the origin of the characters in the books to the anticipation of the movie treatment in the community to seeing the actual movie to absorbing and joining in the review.

I am like Dr. Mrs. who watches a Cornell hockey game out of solidarity with her husband, but that game is the boundary of her experience so it is very limited. OTOH, the hard core fans have the history the team, their prior sufferings, the summer, the pre-season, the current season and standings and playoff implications, the other games, and the endless, daily mastication on message boards.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 05-21-2020, 03:36 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    ... tango & cash ...
                    I haven't watched that movie in two decades, but I remember it being a fun time waster.

"It's an RV from Hell!"

Let us know if it still holds up.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      I haven't watched that movie in two decades, but I remember it being a fun time waster.

"It's an RV from Hell!"

Let us know if it still holds up.
                      We should form a Cafe Movie Club and watch one movie a week and discuss it. Then vote on the movie to see next.

(Now's the time when you awkwardly tell me there's been one for years but I'm not invited cuz nobody likes me.)
                      Cornell University

Comment

I watch Tango and Cash at LEAST once every six months. It is the pinnacle of that type of film down to Jack Palance just eating up scenes with his overacting greatness! My buddy and I quote it a LOT!

Kep,

Sports fandom and geek fandom is very similar...way more than either group wants to admit. I have seen wars on those boards that would put the crap you see around here to shame. Toxic fandom is everywhere. The older characters it can be even worse...for example Superman has had 4 very different incarnations over the years. (actually more but that is not important) There was the Golden Age which was the beginning of superheroes, the Silver Age where he was basically all powerful (and he his covers had him being a total dick...seriously just google "Superman is a Dick" or "Superdickery") and paragon of Truth/Justice/The American Way, then in the 1980s there was the Man of Steel Reboot which wiped away all of his backstory and started over, then in the early 2000s there was the "Birthright" reboot which kind of rejiggered it back closer to the Silver Age. I have seen fights on boards where dozens get banned fighting over this. I have seen people almost come to blows in person over this. Me...I think they are all cool because all mythologies change over time and are interpreted the same way. (and this stuff exists for almost every character in some form or another...hell Spiderman literally almost was cancelled due to lack of sales over a reboot like this)

This is also whyfans flock to every reboot as well. Comic fans are used to this crap...every time Marvel or DC needs a boost they change something and renumber to boost early sales. (like a team that sucks having a giveaway to boost ticket sales) Then they kill someone off for shock value. Then they make a new version of said character. Then they have their major event (which used to be every couple years, then every year, no multiple times per year!) with 27 crossovers forcing fans to buy more issues than they want so they can keep up and have their collections complete. (The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the perfect representation of what comics are for better and worse) Meanwhile the smaller stories are cancelled fast or join the crossover to boost sales and maybe get a 3 month reprieve. This leads to splits in fandom which further divides the base and then leads to another event which brings back the old version of the character to exist side by side and make things even worse. That is why comics as a medium are failing. They are just IPs now...even the MCU couldnt get people to read more comics...

Sorry back on topic...
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          We should form a Cafe Movie Club and watch one movie a week and discuss it. Then vote on the movie to see next.

(Now's the time when you awkwardly tell me there's been one for years but I'm not invited cuz nobody likes me.)
                          My buddy, my GF and I have been doing that since the "quarantine" started. We watch a movie a night. Each week someone picks the category and we rotate every night who picks the film. It has to be one the chooser has yet to see. (except when we did "Films We Will Give a Second Chance To" ) I have seen a lot of movies I never would have.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Kep,

Sports fandom and geek fandom is very similar...way more than either group wants to admit. I have seen wars on those boards that would put the crap you see around here to shame. Toxic fandom is everywhere. The older characters it can be even worse...for example Superman has had 4 very different incarnations over the years. (actually more but that is not important) There was the Golden Age which was the beginning of superheroes, the Silver Age where he was basically all powerful (and he his covers had him being a total dick...seriously just google "Superman is a Dick" or "Superdickery") and paragon of Truth/Justice/The American Way, then in the 1980s there was the Man of Steel Reboot which wiped away all of his backstory and started over, then in the early 2000s there was the "Birthright" reboot which kind of rejiggered it back closer to the Silver Age. I have seen fights on boards where dozens get banned fighting over this. I have seen people almost come to blows in person over this. Me...I think they are all cool because all mythologies change over time and are interpreted the same way. (and this stuff exists for almost every character in some form or another...hell Spiderman literally almost was cancelled due to lack of sales over a reboot like this)

This is also whyfans flock to every reboot as well. Comic fans are used to this crap...every time Marvel or DC needs a boost they change something and renumber to boost early sales. (like a team that sucks having a giveaway to boost ticket sales) Then they kill someone off for shock value. Then they make a new version of said character. Then they have their major event (which used to be every couple years, then every year, no multiple times per year!) with 27 crossovers forcing fans to buy more issues than they want so they can keep up and have their collections complete. (The Marvel Cinematic Universe is the perfect representation of what comics are for better and worse) Meanwhile the smaller stories are cancelled fast or join the crossover to boost sales and maybe get a 3 month reprieve. This leads to splits in fandom which further divides the base and then leads to another event which brings back the old version of the character to exist side by side and make things even worse. That is why comics as a medium are failing. They are just IPs now...even the MCU couldnt get people to read more comics...
                            Arguably this is the evolution that every form of entertainment, perhaps every form of human activity, takes. Art. Sports. Politics. Religion.

Movement --> Business --> Racket
                            Cornell University

Comment

Tango And Cash is a Saturday Afternoon Time Killer.

You're flipping channels, see that it's on, and say to yourself, "Eh, this'll do."

Although the RV line is a classic.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I watch Tango and Cash at LEAST once every six months. It is the pinnacle of that type of film down to Jack Palance just eating up scenes with his overacting greatness! My buddy and I quote it a LOT!

Kep,

Sorry back on topic...
                                This makes me feel so much better about myself. I might be a nerd, but at least I'm not one of those nerds.

Comment

Working...
                                X