This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Lost Girls. True story about a woman searching for her missing daughter, and as the movie develops is believed to have been abducted by the eventually named Long Island serial killer. Amy Ryan was wonderful as was Thomasin McKenzie who played her middle daughter. Gabriel Byrne was slightly wasted, but on the whole a very solid watch.

Comment

Life Itself (Amazon Prime original) - A well-done drama, involving a series of intermingled stories (chapters) across multiple generations, with numerous twists and turns... some fairly predictable (opinion), along with a few truly unexpected “holy chit” moments. Forced-open the floodgates on ‘the Wife’s’ eyes, caused ‘the Girl’s’ “allergies to act up”, and even jerked a tear or two out of this old bastard’s eye. Enjoyable regardless. 😁

Edit (the next day!): This one must have really resonated somehow... here it is the next day, and it’s still with me. Yeah, It’s that good. (or maybe it’s just Olivia Wilde!)

Cheers!!!
      ~TTF
      Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 04-19-2020, 06:17 AM.
      Dave
      RIT - '90

Comment

Midsommar:

A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

Some beret-wearing artsy-fartsy moments, but it's worth putting up with, and that is ME saying that. You have to be patient with this movie: it is a long, slow, slow, burn. Horrific, deep, and it will probably disturb you a little.

The TL;DR review: WHAT. IN. THE. ACTUAL. F*?!
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          Midsommar:

A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

Some beret-wearing artsy-fartsy moments, but it's worth putting up with, and that is ME saying that. You have to be patient with this movie: it is a long, slow, slow, burn. Horrific, deep, and it will probably disturb you a little.

The TL;DR review: WHAT. IN. THE. ACTUAL. F*?!
          Yeah....none of my friends saw it so I’ve not had anyone to chat with about it.
          It’s nuts
          My Swedish cousin dressed his baby as a bear for Halloween and I nearly fainted

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Yeah....none of my friends saw it so I’ve not had anyone to chat with about it.
            It’s nuts
            My Swedish cousin dressed his baby as a bear for Halloween and I nearly fainted
            I have about a dozen newer movies at the top of my disc-queue, and all are on a wait of some length, obviously due to the various shutdowns. I had this really high a couple months ago, and it just came up in the last couple days. I heard it was a little messed up, did not expect the level that it delivered.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

A great short by an underrated actor.

Comment

Finally saw Joker

I honestly wasn’t as disturbed as most people seemed to be. It was disturbing but not in the way I thought. Most people described it as something that kind of resonates within. I’m not sure about that. Maybe I’ll need to see it again in a few months. The story just seemed obvious, throughout. Still excellent, but it was fairly obvious what was going to happen in every scene. The only scene that surprised me was the scene where the cops started chasing Arthur. Didn’t expect that ending. But once he got on the train I knew exactly how it was going to end. Same thing with the Murray show. I was actually surprised he didn’t shoot at the audience. The scenes with his neighbor? Pretty clear from before their starry even started it was all imagined. The second he threw out his arms and the music came up it seemed clear it was a delusion. I was a little disappointed about how predictable it was.

Now it seems crazy after saying that, but I really liked the movie. Top notch. Really was a story molded to a study.

Phoenix turned in a performance for the ages though. He’s just incredible. After Ledger redefined and set the standard for the character, I never thought anyone could make me see the character new again.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Finally saw Joker

I honestly wasn’t as disturbed as most people seemed to be. It was disturbing but not in the way I thought. Most people described it as something that kind of resonates within. I’m not sure about that. Maybe I’ll need to see it again in a few months. The story just seemed obvious, throughout. Still excellent, but it was fairly obvious what was going to happen in every scene. The only scene that surprised me was the scene where the cops started chasing Arthur. Didn’t expect that ending. But once he got on the train I knew exactly how it was going to end. Same thing with the Murray show. I was actually surprised he didn’t shoot at the audience. The scenes with his neighbor? Pretty clear from before their starry even started it was all imagined. The second he threw out his arms and the music came up it seemed clear it was a delusion. I was a little disappointed about how predictable it was.

Now it seems crazy after saying that, but I really liked the movie. Top notch. Really was a story molded to a study.

Phoenix turned in a performance for the ages though. He’s just incredible. After Ledger redefined and set the standard for the character, I never thought anyone could make me see the character new again.
                  That has been what I've been hearing. Brought it over to show my parents (who like movies, but good luck getting my dad out to see a fiction movie). My mom was petrified at seeing this, thought it would be more in-your-face horrific. Nope. It's in-your-mind horrific.

As far as what's real, and what's not, the most intriguing theory I've heard of....he's not the Joker. He just saw what was on tv/news, and he imagined *HE* was the Joker.

That's a whole new twist.

Comment

That twist was discussed by Phoenix and the director on the menu commentary
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      That twist was discussed by Phoenix and the director on the menu commentary
                      I don't watch those. Been burned by inane commentary too many times.

Comment

So someone told me to watch Unorthodox because it was getting a lot of play and had some good reviews. By the time I got around to it I couldn't remember whether it was on Netflix or Prime, so I searched Prime first.

As it turns out, the show that was recommended to me is sort of a docudrama series involving cast members, but apparently based in part on true stories, and is showing on Netflix. I ended up watching an actual documentary on Prime, also called Unorthodox. I should note that this is just one of two movies on Prime that share the name Unorthodox with the Netflix series, and all of them deal in one way or the other with Jewish teenagers straddling or going back and forth between Judaism and the secular world. Apparently there is not a lot of imagination involved in naming such a story.

In any event, the Unorthodox that I watched was made by someone Anna Wexler, who ended up bailing from her family and Judaism at age 16. She made a movie about her friends or acquaintances as they graduated from high school and then traveled to Israel for a one year "finding yourself" gap year between high school and college, that basically is divided into thirds --the first third is heavy drinking and drug use as you enjoy your newfound freedom; The second third is boredom, as you realize that non-stop drinking and drug use is exhausting and pretty useless; followed by the final third in which the student returns to devout Judaism.

The movie itself is probably not that special. But I decided to post about it because it struck my wife and I in the same way. Which is to say, the world these kids lived in their last few years of high school, during their "gap" year, and in the early years that followed, was as foreign to us as the way we saw people living in The Tiger King. It seems obvious that people in say China or Egypt or another country will have significantly different customs and lifestyles. But when you see it in like Jersey City, it is very eye opening.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Whoa

Tokyo drift is on Netflix
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Whoa

Tokyo drift is on Netflix
                            One of the networks was airing 1, 2, and 3 in a marathon format, and I forgot how ridiculously hot all the car scene girls were in all three films.

Man, the early 2000's with crop tops and low rise jeans was the golden era.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              One of the networks was airing 1, 2, and 3 in a marathon format, and I forgot how ridiculously hot all the car scene girls were in all three films.

Man, the early 2000's with crop tops and low rise jeans was the golden era.
                              Don’t forget the thongs! Low rise jeans AND thongs, it’s a miracle I learned anything in High School.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

At that age mookie had girls with sweaters that covered their knees and thighs
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X