X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 52 - 1917: Sonic the Bad Boys of Prey

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    I could have done with less shots of the actual aliens, it would keep us the tenseness if you see them less; I don't mind "action" per se but they're better kept more hidden. I don't feel the movie lost anything, though, by having it focus on the family as a whole (ie. not an ego vehicle) but having not read the source I suppose I have no real comparison.
    The family as a whole is fine...but the silent birth and the ending were just so...ugh. Once you get past the lack of sound the film is actually not even really that suspenseful. The first 45 minutes or so though really got to me.

I also admit...I find Emily Blunt annoying. Great interview but she just grates on me in films and I dont know why.
    Last edited by Handyman; 03-05-2020, 12:52 PM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Of the Fraser ones they're all bad sans the first one. But the first one was great. I'm not sure who this no one is that you're talking about. I was intrigued. I couldn't have been the only one.
      The online response was hilariously bad to the announcement. The trailers were ripped to shreds and many of the experts on tracking (the ones that dont work for Deadline or Variety who just go by studio numbers) put it at a bomb way out. It even underperformed their numbers though it got so toxic. (Cruise saved it Internationally but domestically it bombed hard)

Universal had its reasons for doing it but they miscalculated. Actually IIRC many of the studio people and insiders though Invisible Man would be the better starting point. (Wolfman was also often brought up but it had a bomb in 2010)

All in all, I spend too much time geeking out about movies
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        The online response was hilariously bad to the announcement. The trailers were ripped to shreds and many of the experts on tracking (the ones that dont work for Deadline or Variety who just go by studio numbers) put it at a bomb way out. It even underperformed their numbers though it got so toxic. (Cruise saved it Internationally but domestically it bombed hard)

Universal had its reasons for doing it but they miscalculated. Actually IIRC many of the studio people and insiders though Invisible Man would be the better starting point. (Wolfman was also often brought up but it had a bomb in 2010)

All in all, I spend too much time geeking out about movies
        Online reaction to anything is pure insanity. If you listen to the Internet for your ideas your done before you started.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The family as a whole is fine...but the silent birth and the ending as a whole were just so...ugh. Once you get past the lack of sound the film is actually not even really that suspenseful. The first 45 minutes or so though really got to me.

I also adit...I find Emily Blunt annoying. Great interview but she just grates on me in films and I dont know why.
          I honestly don't remember the silent birth, so I must not have exceptionally liked or disliked. By the ending, do people mean the whole "hearing aid hurts the aliens" part or the shotgun getting cocked? For the former, well, there's going to be some dues ex machina, for the latter, corny or not I liked that.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Am I the only one who likes Krasinski as young Jack Ryan?

I just wish it had more ties to the Alec Baldwin / Harrison Ford era Jack Ryan. But I (begrudgingly) understand the "reboot."

I swear to God though, if Krasinski NEVER utters "Next time Jack, write a goddammed memo," to himself before the series finale, I'll feel cheated.
            Love him as Ryan. I think he's perfect.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I love seeing people speak in absolutes about what movies should or should not be made. Make it right it and time it right and usually it's a formula for success. I loved the idea of a mummy reboot, but I knew I would hate as soon as I heard Cruise was involved.

Comment

I dunno he just seems so...off. Like you are supposed to believe he is an analyst but he is also buff like a superhero and great at tactical response. Alec Baldwin looked like a guy who wrote books for the CIA. Harrison Ford looked like a career State Department analyst. Krasinski looks like Jim Halpert on Roids trying to pretend he is meek Jim Halpert.
                the timeline is tighter here.

in the orignal book by clancy, ryan was a later arrival into the cia analyst role. sure he was still a marine and crashed in a copter, but he had worked at merrill for some time and made book. got the ph.d, etc.

the reboot has ryan getting into the agency much earlier, right after the crash. plus it is modern with military types now being not so much in better shape, but.... well in better shape training is much higher for these warrior types nowadays.

so a workable combination of a number of things has ryan reboot being more action hero than the orignal intent from clancy.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I never read the reviews but I look at the scores.

High Critics / Low Audience: Definitely see it
                  Low Critics / High Audience: Ow My Balls
                  In my youth, if Stuart Klein (Ch 5 in NY) liked it, I saw it.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    In my youth, if Stuart Klein (Ch 5 in NY) liked it, I saw it.
                    Nowadays you check the USCCB website?

Comment

• Ohh... Why Not...

Starting to compile a list of Two-Week Shutdown/Quarantine movies, you know... "just in case":
                      • Contagion
                      • Outbreak
                      • Bird Box
                      • The Stand (TV mini-series)
                      • Flu
                      • A Quiet Place
                      • World War Z
                      • 10 Cloverfield Lane
                      • Deranged

Additional suggestions?
                      Dave
                      RIT - '90

Comment

• Re: Ohh... Why Not...

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                        Starting to compile a list of Two-Week Shutdown/Quarantine movies, you know... "just in case":
                        • Contagion
                        • Outbreak
                        • Bird Box
                        • Flu
                        • A Quiet Place
                        • World War Z
                        • 10 Cloverfield Lane
                        • Deranged

Additional suggestions?
                        Isle of the Dead (1945)
                        The Andromeda Strain (1971)
                        Night of the Living Dead (1968)
                        Twelve Monkeys (1995)
                        Cabin Fever (2002)
                        The Plague of Florence (1919)
                        The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Am I the only one who likes Krasinski as young Jack Ryan?

I just wish it had more ties to the Alec Baldwin / Harrison Ford era Jack Ryan. But I (begrudgingly) understand the "reboot."

I swear to God though, if Krasinski NEVER utters "Next time Jack, write a goddammed memo," to himself before the series finale, I'll feel cheated.
                          I loved season 1. Haven't gotten around to season 2 yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                            • Contagion
                            • Outbreak
                            • Bird Box
                            • Flu
                            • A Quiet Place
                            • World War Z
                            • 10 Cloverfield Lane
                            • Deranged

Additional suggestions?
                            28 Days Later
                            I Am Legend
                            The Postman

Comment

• Re: Ohh... Why Not...

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                              [*]The Stand (TV mini-series)
                              I'd rather get the virus than watch Molly Ringwald try to play Frannie.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                                I'd rather get the virus than watch Molly Ringwald try to play Frannie.
                                Yeah, I definitely recommend the (Audio)book version. Some of the acting in the miniseries is atrocious.

Comment

Working...
                                X