2019-20 pwr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    On the tail of the advent of the waaay-overdue PWR (or something similar), it's time to take the next step towards an equitable D-3 calculus: to sh*t-can the 500 mile-cliff BS, and to seed the tournament fairly.

Certain traditionalists will bristle at this perfectly reasonable concept -as though the D-3 "By-Laws" are immutable statutes- but the time has come for D-3 to get it as right as it can.
    It’s looking like there is a good chance both LF and EC will be in the PWR top 10 at seasons end. I think the NCHA playoffs are going to be wide open with 4 or 5 teams having a legitimate shot at winning the conference AQ. That would yield 4 western bids. None of this has anything to do with the 500 mile first round rule.

I’m not hoping the team I root for “catches a break this season” like someone’s bus breaking down en route to a playoff game or something like that. I want them to earn their conference AQ fair and square on the ice. You can respect that, right?

Comment

Re: 2019-20 pwr

Originally posted by altazo View Post
      It’s looking like there is a good chance both LF and EC will be in the PWR top 10 at seasons end. I think the NCHA playoffs are going to be wide open with 4 or 5 teams having a legitimate shot at winning the conference AQ. That would yield 4 western bids. None of this has anything to do with the 500 mile first round rule.

I’m not hoping the team I root for “catches a break this season” like someone’s bus breaking down en route to a playoff game or something like that. I want them to earn their conference AQ fair and square on the ice. You can respect that, right?
      Wasn't a personal attack. My point is that geography shouldn't be in the mix to the extent that it usually is in D-3. That cheapens the process in most years. D-1 considers geography, but never at the expense of bracket-integrity, and there's no reasonable argument to be made against employing the same logic in D-3.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-04-2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

If SNC is lucky enough to get in this season, I say be ****ed with the 500 mile rule, bring on Wilkes!

Comment

Certain traditionalists will bristle at this perfectly reasonable concept -as though the D-3 "By-Laws" are immutable statutes- but the time has come for D-3 to get it as right as it can.
          For crying out loud, it has nothing to do with tradition. And nothing to do with anyone being against it (no one is!). It has to do with MONEY and BUDGET.

At least get your rants pointed at the proper evils.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            For crying out loud, it has nothing to do with tradition. And nothing to do with anyone being against it (no one is!). It has to do with MONEY and BUDGET.

Agreed. You can count on 1 hand how many D3 hockey teams turn a profit

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
              Do you even need one hand to count? (serious question)
              5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
              2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                Do you even need one hand to count? (serious question)
                Utica Oswego Plattsburgh probably profit

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                  It has nothing to do with the teams. The NCAA playoff expenses are all paid by the NCAA. So, it doesn't matter how much the teams lose money.

It's the NCAA who decided to only spend a limited amount of funds to pay for the playoffs, and thus they enacted the 500-mile rule to cut down on air travel.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

D3 Athletics are cost centers...sports are not producing positive cash flow at this level...where this may be in question is your private schools with large endowments and how they allocate those funds to specific programs on their campuses.

Nobody gettin' rich here.
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

I wasn't aiming that rant in any particular direction, but if that inequity exists for the putative sake of saving some money for some entity or the other, that's disingenuous at best.

To wit: it's curious that there have been a lot of East/West crossover RS games over the past few years (presumably on the respective schools' dimes), but the NCAA can't find the money to seed the tournament correctly.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-05-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

To wit: it's curious that there have been a lot of East/West crossover RS games over the past few years (presumably on the respective schools' dimes), but the NCAA can't find the money to seed the tournament correctly.
                        Not curious at all. Different budgets. If the (rich) schools want to spend money sending their teams to "faraway" places or schools can find sponsors to help pay the costs of schools going to their holiday tournaments, that's their prerogative. Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with the NCAA's willingness to spend more on the D3 tournament.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Not curious at all. Different budgets. If the (rich) schools want to spend money sending their teams to "faraway" places or schools can find sponsors to help pay the costs of schools going to their holiday tournaments, that's their prerogative. Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with the NCAA's willingness to spend more on the D3 tournament.
                          Exactly. And these regular season games are planned a year or two in advance, while NCAA first round games often happen within one week of the pairings being announced (and up until very recently occurred on a Wednesday after being determined the previous Monday.)

Anyone here ever try to purchase 35 plane tickets or charter a plane from St. Cloud, MN to Portland, ME on one day notice?

Yeah, yeah, Fish. We know the NCAA flys the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team to Salt Lake City for tournament games on less than a weeks notice all the time. I don’t know what to tell you man, the two sports just generate a different level of revenue for the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                            Exactly. And these regular season games are planned a year or two in advance, while NCAA first round games often happen within one week of the pairings being announced (and up until very recently occurred on a Wednesday after being determined the previous Monday.)

Anyone here ever try to purchase 35 plane tickets or charter a plane from St. Cloud, MN to Portland, ME on one day notice?

Yeah, yeah, Fish. We know the NCAA flys the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team to Salt Lake City for tournament games on less than a weeks notice all the time. I don’t know what to tell you man, the two sports just generate a different level of revenue for the NCAA.
                            I will (oddly) take a bit of Fish's side on this issue. The NCAA is a huge enterprise, generating megabucks for its "college" basketball tournament. Many large enterprises try to utilize some of their surplus to fund parts of their operations that don't make money, but make the organization look good. The NCAA spends a whopping 3% of its budget on D3 sports, and some of that money comes from dues paid by D3 members. It wouldn't hurt them at all to even double their contribution to D3 - it might mean that Kansas, North Carolina, etc. would get reduced payouts from the bloated basketball fest, but with their revenues, I doubt they would even miss them. Fully funding D3 championships is the right thing to do, but you can trust the NCAA not to do the right thing in almost any circumstance. The hypocrisy of their "amateur" Division I programs is obvious.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              I will (oddly) take a bit of Fish's side on this issue. The NCAA is a huge enterprise, generating megabucks for its "college" basketball tournament. Many large enterprises try to utilize some of their surplus to fund parts of their operations that don't make money, but make the organization look good. The NCAA spends a whopping 3% of its budget on D3 sports, and some of that money comes from dues paid by D3 members. It wouldn't hurt them at all to even double their contribution to D3 - it might mean that Kansas, North Carolina, etc. would get reduced payouts from the bloated basketball fest, but with their revenues, I doubt they would even miss them. Fully funding D3 championships is the right thing to do, but you can trust the NCAA not to do the right thing in almost any circumstance. The hypocrisy of their "amateur" Division I programs is obvious.
                              I see this side of the argument as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                It'll be interesting to see how CA's Fair Pay to Play Act impacts the status quo. If the vast majority of 5-star recruits in all of the major sports commit to USC, UCLA, Cal, et al in 2022, the NCAA will be seriously undermined, perhaps to the point of being (eventually) rendered moot.

While I certainly agree with the law in principle, its possible ramifications are Earth-shaking for all of college sports. (Perhaps not a bad thing, once the dust has settled.)
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-06-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X