• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 pwr

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    They went to Androscoggin, didn't they?

(Speaking to head scratching locations)
    Good point, it took us two cars and two planes to get to that one!
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

But the Androscoggin Bank Colisee is great old barn! Lot of great history in those seats. Oggie Oglethorpe patrolled that ice looking for victims!

Comment

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
        But the Androscoggin Bank Colisee is great old barn! Lot of great history in those seats. Oggie Oglethorpe patrolled that ice looking for victims!
        Not to mention this guy!
        https://api.time.com/wp-content/uplo...800&quality=85
        #OneKnight

Comment

Hey come on now, that is where we hold the state high school hockey championship... Almost made my first final four that year, if someone could get USM to bid, this would be a great place to have it: stones throw from the Old Port

Cross insurance arena in Portland in case anyone want to google it

Not sure why that is saying not a secure link above, ???
          Last edited by hockeyfan77; 02-18-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
            For a minute there I thought there was going to be a picture of me!

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              It is in fact the most important component of the Pairwise. Currently you would have to go all the way down to #40 (Naz) to find a team with a different ranking in the PWR from its rank in the RPI. For all practical purposes the RPI and PWR are identical.
              Guys, my bad... What I meant to say is that home (or away) ice does not figure into the PW calculus. I thought that was clear to all.

Clearly, the siting of the NC tournament considers the PW, as well it should.

Two divergent calculi.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-18-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Guys, my bad... What I meant to say is that home (or away) ice does not figure into the PW calculus. I thought that was clear to all.

Clearly, the siting of the NC tournament considers that aspect, as well it should.
                Home and away is calculated into the RPI, and for all practical purposes RPI = PWR.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Home and away is calculated into the RPI, and for all practical purposes RPI = PWR.
                  No it isn't. There's no component of home/away in either one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    No it isn't. There's no component of home/away in either one.
                    Here is how the RPI is computed

The Ratings Percentage Index is one tool used to select teams for the national collegiate ice hockey tournament. Factors involved are 1) the team's winning percentage; 2) the average winning percentage of the team's opponents; 3) the average winning percentage of the team's opponents' opponents. These factors are multiplied by 25%, 21%, and 54% respectively and the contribution of each individual game is weighted by a factor of 1.2 for a road win or home loss and 0.8 for a home win or road loss. In addition, a quality wins bonus based on wins against the top 20 teams is added to a team's RPI.
                    The other point is that the PWR almost always mirrors the RPI - although there are other factors, the RPI and PWR are almost identical. Currently you have to go down to 40th place to find a team with a RPI rank that is different from its PWR rank. There are two ties in the PWR at 10 and 12. The two teams tied for 10th are 10 and 11 in the RPI, and the two teams tied for 12th are 12th and 13th in the RPI.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Here is how the RPI is computed

The other point is that the PWR almost always mirrors the RPI - although there are other factors, the RPI and PWR are almost identical. Currently you have to go down to 40th place to find a team with a RPI rank that is different from its PWR rank. There are two ties in the PWR at 10 and 12. The two teams tied for 10th are 10 and 11 in the RPI, and the two teams tied for 12th are 12th and 13th in the RPI.
                      You of course are absolutely right. I was relying on my faulty memory yet again. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Wasn't the older version of the RPI simply Win %, OP win % x 0.5, and OOP win % x 0.25, with no home/away weighting?

I've forgotten that too.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-19-2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Two weeks left....different look here with Babson's loss...plus Utica took control of the UCHC.

I can't bring myself to bring Adrian, Hobart and Geneseo together in triad so here's the way I would do it:

Plymouth at Endicott vs. Norwich
                        Lake Forest at Adrian vs. Geneseo
                        St. Johns at Eau Claire vs. Hobart
                        Williams at UNE vs. Utica
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

If St. Norbert or Marian wins the NCHA, does Lake Forest stay high enough in the PWR to make the tournament? With five teams in the east, you've gotta push Adrian to the east, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Quasi Hatrack View Post
                            If St. Norbert or Marian wins the NCHA, does Lake Forest stay high enough in the PWR to make the tournament? With five teams in the east, you've gotta push Adrian to the east, no?
                            Trine is still Trine to win the NCHA as well.
                            5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                            2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

The previous incarnations of the D-I PWR had things like record against teams under consideration and record in last 20 games as other criteria. Once they were removed and the number of criteria was reduced to three, then RPI ends up the major factor as it is also the tiebreaker. Essentially it counts twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
                                Trine is still Trine to win the NCHA as well.
                                *Groan*

Seriously, though, if that happened could Adrian survive the PWR hit of losing at home to Trine? It's not as bad as UWSP's road loss to Northland but it sure isn't going to help them.

Comment

Working...
                                X