2019-20 pwr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    That was my thought as well...do you know that or are you speculating on the latter?

Perhaps the NEHC ADs/Coaches will look at the potential of where the norm is heading and add a round or two with two-game series if the PWR continues. I believe that gets voted on this spring at the coaches convention or the ncaa ice hockey committee meeting in June.
    2 games against #8 will not be healthy.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 pwr

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      That doesn't bother me. You have to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise you end up justifying busing teams 900 miles. Or more.
      I'm not going to do the math, but if you want an arbitrary distance to bus teams, why not tailor it to the actual geography. Certainly there's a more workable number than 500 miles. (Even 550 miles would work better.)

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
        It Just Doesn't Matter.....
        Well, it does matter in the objective PWR calculus -and quite apparently- as of now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          I'm not going to do the math, but if you want an arbitrary distance to bus teams, why not tailor it to the actual geography. Certainly there's a more workable number than 500 miles. (Even 550 miles would work better.)
          This is what the NCAA uses: https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Well, it does matter in the objective PWR calculus -and quite apparently- as of now.
            It doesn't matter for bracket integrity. That was the indication of the post.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              Bracket integrity is not relevant to the process (nor is is relevant in any D3 Championship tournament). Just like the Geico commercials - "its what they do."
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Bracket integrity is not relevant to the process (nor is is relevant in any D3 Championship tournament). Just like the Geico commercials - "its what they do."
                Were we talking "bracket integrity" or just why the PW is what it is right now?

I was thinking the latter.

In any case, the D-3 hockey process is still deeply flawed.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-05-2020, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  2 games against #8 will not be healthy.
                  Wasn’t saying the quarterfinal round had to be the series round. Maybe do it for the semis. In most years, all four semifinal participants will be 15 win teams or better.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Were we talking "bracket integrity" or just why the PW is what it is right now?

I was thinking the latter.

In any case, the D-3 hockey process is still deeply flawed.
                    There is no “bracket integrity” in the D3 tournament. Never has been. The way it works is; you have to beat every team you are scheduled to play until it is obvious that the tournament is over, and most of these teams will be pretty good and if you allow them to impose their style of play you may lose. That could happen in the first round or the last round.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      Wasn’t saying the quarterfinal round had to be the series round. Maybe do it for the semis. In most years, all four semifinal participants will be 15 win teams or better.
                      Better to do what the SUNYAC does - 6 teams in the field. If you do that, then make semis and finals decided by series.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

One upset and you're playing a team with 7 or 8 wins twice. Prof's right - you want to go to series and you would probably want to cut down on the number of teams making the playoffs.
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                          There is no “bracket integrity” in the D3 tournament. Never has been. The way it works is; you have to beat every team you are scheduled to play until it is obvious that the tournament is over, and most of these teams will be pretty good and if you allow them to impose their style of play you may lose. That could happen in the first round or the last round.
                          Sure could, and that goes to my point.

Ironically, the big-bucks NCAA ("hypocritcal") football is selected and seeded far more equitably than is the low-budget D-3 hockey deal.

Go figger.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-05-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Is there an NCAA rule for maximum number of conference playoff games a school can play? I tried looking that up in the NCAA Division III manual but couldn't find anything specific.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I would love to see a four-team playoff with best-of-three semifinals the first weekend and a best-of-five championship series spread over the final two weekends before selections. That would be great for the top teams' SOS numbers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
                              Is there an NCAA rule for maximum number of conference playoff games a school can play? I tried looking that up in the NCAA Division III manual but couldn't find anything specific.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I would love to see a four-team playoff with best-of-three semifinals the first weekend and a best-of-five championship series spread over the final two weekends before selections. That would be great for the top teams' SOS numbers.
                              Not sure if there’s a rule, but that’d be some entertaining hockey. That championship series would be a bloodbath

Comment

• Originally posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

I doubt there is a rule? You’re pretty confined though with the regular season calendar and then when the NCAA tournament starts so it’s not like you can play best of 7 series etc.

The closest anyone in recent years has been to your scenario was the SUNYAC for a few years. They did top 6 teams made it...first round and semifinals was 2-game series with mini game if needed and then the championship was a best of 3 series.

Want to say they ended that format in 2005 or 2006?
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X