Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-20 pwr

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how CA's Fair Pay to Play Act impacts the status quo. If the vast majority of 5-star recruits in all of the major sports commit to USC, UCLA, Cal, et al in 2022, the NCAA will be seriously undermined, perhaps to the point of being (eventually) rendered moot.

While I certainly agree with the law in principle, its possible ramifications are Earth-shaking for all of college sports. (Perhaps not a bad thing, once the dust has settled.)
    Colorado is considering similar legislation. The University of Colorado (oddly called CU and not U of C) AD has come out in FAVOR of the legislation.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      I will (oddly) take a bit of Fish's side on this issue. The NCAA is a huge enterprise, generating megabucks for its "college" basketball tournament. Many large enterprises try to utilize some of their surplus to fund parts of their operations that don't make money, but make the organization look good. The NCAA spends a whopping 3% of its budget on D3 sports, and some of that money comes from dues paid by D3 members. It wouldn't hurt them at all to even double their contribution to D3 - it might mean that Kansas, North Carolina, etc. would get reduced payouts from the bloated basketball fest, but with their revenues, I doubt they would even miss them. Fully funding D3 championships is the right thing to do, but you can trust the NCAA not to do the right thing in almost any circumstance. The hypocrisy of their "amateur" Division I programs is obvious.
      I don't think there is anyone on this board who disagrees with Fish on this subject.

That was never my point. My point was a) Fish was directing his rant at the wrong people and b) I was pointing out to others that the NCAA has a budget for the playoffs which has nothing to do with the budget of schools for the regular season.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how CA's Fair Pay to Play Act impacts the status quo. If the vast majority of 5-star recruits in all of the major sports commit to USC, UCLA, Cal, et al in 2022, the NCAA will be seriously undermined, perhaps to the point of being (eventually) rendered moot.
        I have heard some schools may refuse to play CA schools because they no longer will be playing on the same field with the same rules, not to mention they wouldn't be following NCAA rules. California, however, understood this, and delayed the implementation of the law in the hopes that the NCAA will "fix" the problem and come up with a solution. Yet, other states who are considering a similar law are considering immediate implementation.

While I certainly agree with the law in principle, its possible ramifications are Earth-shaking for all of college sports. (Perhaps not a bad thing, once the dust has settled.)
        Which brings us to this point. Ultimately, this will cause a massive shaking out of college sports, and I think eventually it will all come together with an agreeable set of rules which will appease everyone. It's just going to take a lot of angst and arm twisting to get there.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Which brings us to this point. Ultimately, this will cause a massive shaking out of college sports, and I think eventually it will all come together with an agreeable set of rules which will appease everyone. It's just going to take a lot of angst and arm twisting to get there.
          I seriously doubt that the rules that are agreed upon will have much positive impact on D3. Definitely, the goal of the NCAA will be protecting the revenue stream that is the basketball tournament. The "power 5" conferences will use their influence to ensure that they keep getting the revenue from the BCS (or whatever it is called now) bowls. Nothing in this movement will benefit DII and DIII athletics. Division IA sports is just professional sports with an amateur facade.

Comment

Colorado is considering similar legislation. The University of Colorado (oddly called CU and not U of C) AD has come out in FAVOR of the legislation.
            Imagine TX and FL following suit... Bedlam.

Comment

Imagine TX and FL following suit... Bedlam.
              And if NYS followed suit.... crickets.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                And if NYS followed suit.... crickets.
                Not so much in terms of hoops.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-07-2020, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Not so much in terms of hoops.
                  Even then, what do you have? Syracuse. That's it.

St. John's isn't anything like they used to be. Buffalo? Not really. Albany? Binghamton? St. Bonaventure? Iona? Manhattan? Colgate? Cornell? All non-entities these days in the college basketball world.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

4 weeks left.

Endicott at Williams vs. Norwich
                    Augsburg at Lake Forest vs. Eau Claire
                    Adrian at Hobart vs. Geneseo
                    Plymouth at Wilkes vs. Utica
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      4 weeks left.

Endicott at Williams vs. Norwich
                      Augsburg at Lake Forest vs. Eau Claire
                      Adrian at Hobart vs. Geneseo
                      Plymouth at Wilkes vs. Utica
                      Right now Marian is in front of Adrian in the PWR, and it looks like Utica is leading the UCHC, so it should be Wilkes that is out and 5 western teams in.
                      Last edited by altazo; 02-10-2020, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                        Right now Marian is in front of Adrian in the PWR, and it looks like Utica is leading the UCHC, so it should be Wilkes that is out and 5 western teams in.
                        Utica shown as third in the standings, and Adrian with more points than Marian, so they would get the AQ in this discussion.
                        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                          Adrian is in first place in the NCHA via 3 points head to head vs. Lake Forest.

Wilkes is in first place in the UCHC via sweeping Stevenson in their head to head matchups.

The bracket below reflects that.

The at-larges are Utica, Lake Forest, Eau Claire and Hobart.
                          Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-10-2020, 09:21 AM.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            Adrian is in first place in the NCHA via 3 points head to head vs. Lake Forest.

Wilkes is in first place in the UCHC via sweeping Stevenson in their head to head matchups.

The bracket below reflects that.

The at-larges are Utica, Lake Forest, Eau Claire and Hobart.
                            Where is "below"?

I'm curious how you see an 8-4 split being handled.

Comment

Where is "below"?

I'm curious how you see an 8-4 split being handled.
                              See Post #69
                              Steve Day(NU71)
                              Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Day View Post
                                See Post #69
                                See, I see that as above, so I'm a little terminology challenged here

Also, collegehockeystats shows Endicot and UNE tied with 34 pts in the CCC. and the conference homepage shows Endicot with 36 points and UNE with 32 points. Seems like collegehockeystats isn't on the same page as the people who put the standings up on the CCAthletics hockey home page. When you click on standings, it goes to collegehockeystats. So to paraphrase Abbot and Costello "who's IN first?"

And one final point (testing my understanding of the process as it now exists). Wouldn't Adrian be the #3 West seed and Hobart be the #4 East seed? In the old process the better regional seed would host a game between teams from different regions.
                                Last edited by NUProf; 02-10-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X