2019-20 pwr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Is there an NCAA rule for maximum number of conference playoff games a school can play? I tried looking that up in the NCAA Division III manual but couldn't find anything specific.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I would love to see a four-team playoff with best-of-three semifinals the first weekend and a best-of-five championship series spread over the final two weekends before selections. That would be great for the top teams' SOS numbers.
    25 (24 NESCAC) regular season games before any tournaments. In theory, you could play best of 5 (or 7) series in the conference tournament, but you must finish it all on the Sunday before Selection Monday.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 pwr

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Sure could, and that goes to my point.

Ironically, the big-bucks NCAA ("hypocritcal") football is selected and seeded far more equitably than is the low-budget D-3 hockey deal.

Go figger.
      The NCAA does not run the college football playoffs
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        Not only that, they make very little money off of it, relatively speaking. Nothing close to the money they make off the BB tourney. The NCAA gets paid a "sanction fee" from all the bowl games, and it's not all that much, even if you add up all the 35+ bowl games. That's it.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

The "Old" NCHA used best-of-two series in the quarters, semis and finals through 2001. Then it went to just in the quarters with single-elimination all the way through after that. The last year of the best-of-two series in the NCAA Quarterfinals was 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            Not only that, they make very little money off of it, relatively speaking. Nothing close to the money they make off the BB tourney. The NCAA gets paid a "sanction fee" from all the bowl games, and it's not all that much, even if you add up all the 35+ bowl games. That's it.
            I read somewhere that NCAA revenues in 2019 were close to $1Billion dollars. In the past, 60% distributed back to D1 institutions and 40% kept by the association - not sure if those percentages change as the revs increase...
            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              Does it control the rating process?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                Does it control the rating process?
                No. A separate committee associated with the football playoffs, not the NCAA, does that, as I understand it.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                  I read somewhere that NCAA revenues in 2019 were close to $1Billion dollars. In the past, 60% distributed back to D1 institutions and 40% kept by the association - not sure if those percentages change as the revs increase...
                  That sounds about right. And most of that revenue comes from the BB TV contract.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                    Not sure if there’s a rule, but that’d be some entertaining hockey. That championship series would be a bloodbath
                    Oh man imagine a 7 game Harris Cup final series every year between SNC and Adrian. I mean I know how that would turn out this year, but it would be a thing of beauty.
                    5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Amazingly, Adrian, Eau Claire and Hobart are tied in RPI with only one game left before selections. Hobart is currently fourth in the PWR, I assume because it wins the comparison over Eau Claire on common opponents (Hobart beat St. John's while the Johnnies tied UWEC). That means, at least for now Hobart is in line to host the first-round of the 3-4-5 group of death.

As I see it ...

First round
                      Adrian at Hobart
                      St. Thomas at Lake Forest
                      Plymouth at Endicott
                      Babson at Trinity

Quarterfinals
                      Adrian/Hobart at Geneseo
                      Babson/Trinity at Utica
                      Plymouth/Endicott at Norwich
                      St. Thomas/Lake Forest at Eau-Claire

Semis
                      Norwich pod vs Genseo pod
                      Utica pod vs UWEC pod

I'm guessing here, but I think Trinity needs to win tomorrow to be in. Williams lost about .004 off its RPI with its loss to Wesleyan today, and the Bantams' lead over Babson is just .0029. It's going to be close either way.

If Trinity wins it's also going to be very close between Trinity and Endicott for #7. That's looking like the difference between hosting #10 Babson or #40 Plymouth State in the first round.

It should also be noted that Hobart has a win over Trinity so if the Bantams win that RPI bump would all but assure Hobart of finishing ahead Adrian and hosting next weekend. If Trinity loses the Statesmen are probably headed to Michigan.
                      Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 03-07-2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
                        Amazingly, Adrian, Eau Claire and Hobart are tied in RPI with only one game left before selections. Hobart is currently fourth in the PWR, I assume because it wins the comparison over Eau Claire on common opponents (Hobart beat St. John's while the Johnnies tied UWEC). That means, at least for now Hobart is in line to host the first-round of the 3-4-5 group of death.

As I see it ...

First round
                        Adrian at Hobart
                        St. Thomas at Lake Forest
                        Plymouth at Endicott
                        Babson at Trinity

Quarterfinals
                        Adrian/Hobart at Geneseo
                        Babson/Trinity at Utica
                        Plymouth/Endicott at Norwich
                        St. Thomas/Lake Forest at Eau-Claire

Semis
                        Norwich pod vs Genseo pod
                        Utica pod vs UWEC pod

I'm guessing here, but I think Trinity needs to win tomorrow to be in. Williams lost about .004 off its RPI with its loss to Wesleyan today, and the Bantams' lead over Babson is just .0029. It's going to be close either way.

If Trinity wins it's also going to be very close between Trinity and Endicott for #7. That's looking like the difference between hosting #10 Babson or #40 Plymouth State in the first round.

It should also be noted that Hobart has a win over Trinity so if the Bantams win that RPI bump would all but assure Hobart of finishing ahead Adrian and hosting next weekend. If Trinity loses the Statesmen are probably headed to Michigan.
                        Random guy, you are seeing what I am seeing. I'm guessing you are somebody we know who has changed IDs.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          Random guy, you are seeing what I am seeing. I'm guessing you are somebody we know who has changed IDs.
                          Hammer??

Comment

Oh, my......Wesleyan leads Trinity 3-1 at start of 3rd.
                            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                              Oh, my......Wesleyan leads Trinity 3-1 at start of 3rd.
                              5-2 halfway through the 3rd.....

Comment

Final 7-2 Weslyan over Trinity.
                                Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Working...
                                X