75 years ago....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 years ago....

I missed the start date 3 days ago, but 75 years ago, the Battle of the Bulge (as it's called by Americans) started. Today, early on the 19th, the 101 arrived in Bastogne and started a pretty iconic defense of the city.

A little over a decade ago, we visited the whole area, with some specific focus on the 101- between Band of Brothers and Donald Burget's 3 books also of the 101st, I've been quite fascinated by what they did. Visiting some of the forests they fought in, and then touring more of the overall battle area was quite moving.

For sure, there are a lot of things that happened all over the world 75 years ago now, but it's one specific event that is quite interesting to me.

Thanks, guys. Heck of a war you fought.

Re: 75 years ago....

I had the honor of visiting Eerde, Holland in September on the 75th anniversary of the start of Operation Market Garden. Tiny towns throughout the area had American flags on every home.

My grandfather's WW2 uniform was donated to, and unveiled at, a museum in Eerde that day. It's so incredible to see the appreciation is as strong as ever for the brave men that saved their town.

Comment

Re: 75 years ago....

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
      I had the honor of visiting Eerde, Holland in September on the 75th anniversary of the start of Operation Market Garden. Tiny towns throughout the area had American flags on every home.

My grandfather's WW2 uniform was donated to, and unveiled at, a museum in Eerde that day. It's so incredible to see the appreciation is as strong as ever for the brave men that saved their town.
      One of these years, I plan on visiting there, too. And maybe at the same time, visit the Hurtgen Forest, since it's relatively near.

I had some cousins who fought in WWII, but never met them- but had a great uncle who was a paratrooper in the Pacific theater. He never said a thing about it. Next time I see my cousin, maybe I'll ask her if her dad ever mentioned anything. Great guy.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        One of these years, I plan on visiting there, too. And maybe at the same time, visit the Hurtgen Forest, since it's relatively near.

I had some cousins who fought in WWII, but never met them- but had a great uncle who was a paratrooper in the Pacific theater. He never said a thing about it. Next time I see my cousin, maybe I'll ask her if her dad ever mentioned anything. Great guy.
        We found out 90% of what my grandfather did only after he passed away in 2012. Never talked about it, except to a random author who eventually got in touch with my family with notes from the interviews.

So much heroism that people will never hear about.

Comment

Working...
        X