This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Step back. All these "impossible burgers" are because of non-private companies, right? They are due to gov't regulations. Surrrrrrre. Businesses will do what it takes to make money. And if smoking indoors doesn't hurt business? They'll keep it. If it hurts? It's gone. Simple.
    1st- You do realize that the impossible burgers are cooked on the very same goddammed grill surface that 100% beef whoppers are cooked, so the beef grease and remnants mix with the impossible burger right? A true vegan who goes to Burger King and orders an Impossible Whopper is getting a burger contaminated with beef. And that the GOVERNMENT had to intervene on previous health safety standards to create proper prep areas that separate items like fish and chicken from being mixed? So Governement mandates for separate prep equipment for vegans might be coming down the line eventually.

2nd- Businesses already were ignoring a half century of clinical data regarding smoking, second hand smoke, and residual smoke effects. Minnesota passed an indoor clean air bill in 1975 that banned smoking in hospitals for Gods sake. Nine. Teen. SEVENTY FIVE. before someone realized "hey, maybe smoking inside a confined building isn't great for everyone."

It took another THREE DECADES before someone realized "hey, maybe not forcing employees and patrons to inhale smoke to enjoy indoor activities in private businesses is a good idea."

Illinois went through the same indoor smoking ban around the same time Minnesota did. A loud vocal minority whined that it would cause a drop in patronage and businesses would suffer. It took thr State of Illinois passing the law, and saying "suck it up and deal with it," for businesses to realize that it was actually financially beneficial to ban smoking.

I would also like to present automobile safety standards throughout the 20th century as ways that businesses refused to change unless intervention took place.

Specifically, Google the Mansfield Bar for semi trailers.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: POTUS: Definitely Needs Anger Management

I know about the grills (and I am laughing at it, btw because that's goddam funny).

Smoking is horrible. Worst decision I ever made. That's not the point. My point is that is should be up to the businesses, not the gov't, to decide. Hence, if people stop going to said business because they allow smoking, that business will make some different decisions. But it's up to the BUSINESS. That's what I'm supporting. When it comes to hospitals, okay yes, that is a different area, concerning health. I'm fine with that. Those are places that are specifically designed to keep you healthy, when you look at the base goal. For bars/restaurants, health isn't the base goal. It's to feed/entertain/etc you. So light up, if you want.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Government sole purpose to to promote common good. There is nothing wrong with it saying “no pig turds in sausage” or “no tobacco” or “roads to get from here to there” or “no guns in hands of common citizens that fire more than 2 rounds every minute” or “if you kill someone while driving drunk you will be hung” or “if you want to talk about god, go do it away from the state”.

These are promote society upward
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Government sole purpose to to promote common good. There is nothing wrong with it saying “no pig turds in sausage” or “no tobacco” or “roads to get from here to there” or “no guns in hands of common citizens that fire more than 2 rounds every minute” or “if you kill someone while driving drunk you will be hung” or “if you want to talk about god, go do it away from the state”.

These are promote society upward
          Then why is it taking so long on the hemp/MJ legalization? It's coming along, but.....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I know about the grills (and I am laughing at it, btw because that's goddam funny).

Smoking is horrible. Worst decision I ever made. That's not the point. My point is that is should be up to the businesses, not the gov't, to decide. Hence, if people stop going to said business because they allow smoking, that business will make some different decisions. But it's up to the BUSINESS. That's what I'm supporting. When it comes to hospitals, okay yes, that is a different area, concerning health. I'm fine with that. Those are places that are specifically designed to keep you healthy, when you look at the base goal. For bars/restaurants, health isn't the base goal. It's to feed/entertain/etc you. So light up, if you want.
            Your rights stop when they interfere with my rights.

No smoking sections in restaurants were as effective as no-peeing signs at public pools.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Your rights stop when they interfere with my rights.

No smoking sections in restaurants were as effective as no-peeing signs at public pools.
              That part I FULLY agree with. Those were a joke.

Comment

Then why is it taking so long on the hemp/MJ legalization? It's coming along, but.....
                Because racism.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Because racism.
                  That is part of it. Being serious here.

Comment

That is part of it. Being serious here.
                    So am I.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

So am I.
                      We're on the same page here. There's a doc on Netflix that covers the history of the ganja...very informative. Yep, it's blue laws and racism. While not my thing, the Mary Jane should be 100% legal and regulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        Rent Free.

Did he just say she is a very overrated person? Good lord he speaks like he is on a message board
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          As a smoker who does not smoke indoors, and having worked in the service industry for about 6 years (and possibly re-entering the industry in the long future), and mostly against needless gov't regulations...the market would have corrected itself to fit the needs/wants of their customers.
                          Nope. Trust me I worked in a restaurant when the ban hit and everyone who made that idiotic argument then was proven wrong. Customers didnt know what they wanted until smoking was gone. Once it was they didnt care it was gone.

If it had been left up to the owners no one ever goes non-smoking.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Comment

What about the workers exposed to it day in and day out? Their workplace safety should depend on whether or not patrons are willing to put up with an establishment that allows smoking? How many smoke-free places would there be for service workers to find jobs?
                              Last edited by BassAle; 01-02-2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                But it's up to the BUSINESS. That's what I'm supporting.
                                Like the Fort Pinto concept (but replace exploding gas tanks with lung disease)? Let business decide at what point it is profitable for them to address the problem that is injuring the consumer.

Or would you approach it a different way by having business pay a hefty additional tax to cover the public cost of lung disease attributable to second hand smoke?

Comment

Working...
                                X