X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Word of the day "Ribaldry!"

That must have been some fine wine Chuck

Speaking of Wales GUHN'r, they thumped Italy 42-0 in the Six Nations Saturday!
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Yes, any word on Charlie? We will also be without Kohei as he joins the Japanese national team for Olympic qualifying. Anyone heard anything on Chase? He was having a very strong freshmen year.
      I want to revisit in game coaching. Ref tells us (and I am paraphrasing) that MS said that he does not do ingame coaching as they should know what to do after a week practicing. In a recent press conference he noted that they do work on weaknesses in practice and they they usually get better but indicated they may backslide on other issues.
      Doesn't this speak to a little more in game feedback. While i am not pretending to be the coach MS is, I feel very strongly that this generation wants and needs lots of feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
        Yes, any word on Charlie? We will also be without Kohei as he joins the Japanese national team for Olympic qualifying. Anyone heard anything on Chase? He was having a very strong freshmen year.
        I want to revisit in game coaching. Ref tells us (and I am paraphrasing) that MS said that he does not do ingame coaching as they should know what to do after a week practicing. In a recent press conference he noted that they do work on weaknesses in practice and they they usually get better but indicated they may backslide on other issues.
        Doesn't this speak to a little more in game feedback. While i am not pretending to be the coach MS is, I feel very strongly that this generation wants and needs lots of feedback.
        I think I posted on this last week. If true, a little too close to his predecessor's approach. Time will tell.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          Doubt highly that we will see Charlie this weekend; not sure what's up with Chase?? Man, down 2 forwards and one (Sato) that won't be there this weekend. I think they can handle that; they are going to have to use all they have so we'll get to see what maybe Joe H can do out there. Perhaps MS7 gives more detail about Charlie et al in his Wednesday presser. Well, I'll say this...when the 'Cats do not play great he owns it, saying "it's on me when they're not prepared" which is something I'd rather NOT hear in his pressers, if I'm being 100% honest.

I don't expect him to rip his team either, but...a team should be prepared every single game at least, as a coach, you expect them to be. If they aren't, then, why not??? (I do support this current coaching group, want to say that, but...as a fan I scratch my head when I hear this is the reason they didn't execute. That's your job as a coach, to prepare them the best way possible. No excuse in this day and age of technology to not have your team as ready as possible against the opponent. That said..things happen; even to the best of 'em.) Sorry, I while I appreciate the honesty? I'd rather feel the team was just not the better team on the night, not that the HC didn't have them ready.

No one knows what's going on in the locker room on any given night, weekend. I agree players need support and positives/feedback. I do see more coaching going on behind the bench than with my short stint with the Umile days. Every coach has their technique. These players are not JV hockey players; support and encouragement is necessary but we are talking about D1 players here; that receive $$ for their efforts. They need tough skins out there as there is a ton riding on every single game if you want to be taken seriously. They are also student athletes and that's the reality for ALL of college sports. One more thing; I'm not sure you have your coaching style totally together after 2 seasons as HC (and I know his past but until you're HC...I think things are a whole different ball game, imho).

Huge, huge weekend to take back the hard work that won the big games this season. Go 'Cats!!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-05-2020, 05:14 AM.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            At a FOH meeting during Souzas first year he said something to the effect that he wouldn't be doing any of that once the game started...that the players would know their assignments and it was up to them to execute..agree this team has given us plenty to be excited about...but boy gotta get over that hump.

Todays huge. Go 'Cats!!
            Yikes! I missed this reply to ATW earlier about MS7 not doing in-game coaching. Huh? Then, what is the point in being a coach on the bench? Just to call for line changes? By whistling or whatever?

Chuck mentioned the previous HC not calling a time out until it was too late in the 2003 NC game. I will add to that one the 2002 FF semi final and the 2010 NCAA regional game against RIT.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Yikes! I missed this reply to ATW earlier about MS7 not doing in-game coaching. Huh? Then, what is the point in being a coach on the bench? Just to call for line changes? By whistling or whatever?

Chuck mentioned the previous HC not calling a time out until it was too late in the 2003 NC game. I will add to that one the 2002 FF semi final and the 2010 NCAA regional game against RIT.
              I have definitely seen plenty of coaching during time outs this season which is a positive thing. He also called that 1st period time out last Friday night when the 'Cats were down 3 zip on 4 shots. Heard it was 'colorful'. So, I think he has revisited some of that...?

Comment

Down three forwards this weekend, according to today's press conference - Kelleher (lower body), Chase (upper body, sustained in the Providence series), and Kohei.

Souza said that he has been experimenting with moving Blackburn up with Engaras and Grasso. Goalies have spent some time with Conklin this week too, obviously not sure whois going to get the start on Friday. Souza made it a point to say that it's quick to blame goaltending in games such as the two last weekend, and both Mike and Ty would like some of those back, but Souza said not even Toukka Rask would have stopped some of those goals given the defensive lapses.
                UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Down three forwards this weekend, according to today's press conference - Kelleher (lower body), Chase (upper body, sustained in the Providence series), and Kohei.

Souza said that he has been experimenting with moving Blackburn up with Engaras and Grasso. Goalies have spent some time with Conklin this week too, obviously not sure whois going to get the start on Friday. Souza made it a point to say that it's quick to blame goaltending in games such as the two last weekend, and both Mike and Ty would like some of those back, but Souza said not even Toukka Rask would have stopped some of those goals given the defensive lapses.
                  Appreciate the update Scott...Interesting weekend ahead with UVM Coach announcing his retirement. Adds to the mix of what's at stake for the 'Cats. Eyes forward and next man up!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Interesting weekend ahead with UVM Coach announcing his retirement.
                    About time. "Retirement" … heh-heh, ya sure, he'll be 50 in April. OLD. Whatever floats their boat.

Amazing it's taken this long. He's had three (3) winning seasons in the last ten years, and has a career winning percentage of roughly 46% at UVM (and closer to 44% overall including 5 losing seasons to start his career at Union). But I see UVM will be going the "national search" route, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. Might be an interesting barometer to use, in comparison with the in-house (sort of?) hires by UNH and UMaine in the last decade or so.

Of course, HR may be right, and his guys will play out of their skin to get something for Sneds on his way out. MS7 better have his guys ready this weekend. A repeat of last weekend, or even close …
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      About time. "Retirement" … heh-heh, ya sure, he'll be 50 in April. OLD. Whatever floats their boat.

Amazing it's taken this long. He's had three (3) winning seasons in the last ten years, and has a career winning percentage of roughly 46% at UVM (and closer to 44% overall including 5 losing seasons to start his career at Union). But I see UVM will be going the "national search" route, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. Might be an interesting barometer to use, in comparison with the in-house (sort of?) hires by UNH and UMaine in the last decade or so.

Of course, HR may be right, and his guys will play out of their skin to get something for Sneds on his way out. MS7 better have his guys ready this weekend. A repeat of last weekend, or even close …
                      Looking at their current win/loss record they have lost 8 / 1 goal games. UNH has no choice but to come out swinging and swinging early. Reading Jim C's article this morning about projected HE possibilities it's obvious that IF we get in, it will be by a very small margin and, will come down to probably the last game played. Anything less than 4 points will be disappointing to say the least. I don't know the present culture of UVM; what their guys want from the rest of their season but surely it has been difficult and surely they want to salvage something out of their season; esp. against the rival Wildcats.

In the past 3 seasons UVM v UNH has been largely a mixed bag of 3-3-2. Win the games you should win 'Cats; here are two of them!

Comment

Looking at their current win/loss record they have lost 8 / 1 goal games. UNH has no choice but to come out swinging and swinging early. Reading Jim C's article this morning about projected HE possibilities it's obvious that IF we get in, it will be by a very small margin and, will come down to probably the last game played. Anything less than 4 points will be disappointing to say the least. I don't know the present culture of UVM; what their guys want from the rest of their season but surely it has been difficult and surely they want to salvage something out of their season; esp. against the rival Wildcats.

In the past 3 seasons UVM v UNH has been largely a mixed bag of 3-3-2. Win the games you should win 'Cats; here are two of them!
                        No easy games in Hockey East! The good cats are at home for both giving them a leg up on the bad cats. I hope!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                          No easy games in Hockey East! The good cats are at home for both giving them a leg up on the bad cats. I hope!
                          You are so right about the 'no easy games in HE'. Home ice is the best ice let's go 'Cats!!! (I think Gnarlz can take Rally, just sayin' )

Comment

Great article about the work Patrick Grasso puts into his game and expectations on the weekend:

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2020/2/...e-rebound.aspx

Comment

Great article about the work Patrick Grasso puts into his game and expectations on the weekend:

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2020/2/...e-rebound.aspx
                              Grasso now has 76 career points, so with his extra season coming up, he has a shot at 100 points, and would be first to reach that UNH milestone since TyK in 2017. Only four other Cats since 2011 have reached 100 career points; who are they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Grasso now has 76 career points, so with his extra season coming up, he has a shot at 100 points, and would be first to reach that UNH milestone since TyK in 2017. Only four other Cats since 2011 have reached 100 career points; who are they?
                                I'm guessing but Paul Thompson...Kevin Goumas...Tyler Kelleher and Grayson Downing??

Comment

Working...
                                X