This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

UNH 47-29 in SOG and 38-29 in FOW, but Luce coaches his boys to a decisive win on the road, which must have quieted the crowd at the Whitt?

Comment

SOG and FOW don't matter much when you leave guys open in great scoring areas AND let the pass go to them.

UConn was getting behind the UNH D all night.

This is old time undisciplined UNH hockey and the results are the same a L for a woulda, coulda, shoulda W...
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Souza says in presser that he had hoped UNH had "turned a corner maturity wise; obviously they haven't" so he owns it. Tomorrow's another chance...let's rebound 'Cats!!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          So … you go down 3 quick goals … claw back to get even at 3-3 … then you give up 3 more in a row?

A lot of good work gets undone if UNH doesn't bounce back to win tomorrow night on the road.
          Long time UNH fan walks with me out of the 'Whitt and put it this way; if they lose tomorrow night they will be out of HE contention or it's going to be close. And, that the loss tonight diminished any chance of home ice. Now, I don't want to get all excited over this but for those of you in the know, is this a possible scenario??
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Long time UNH fan walks with me out of the 'Whitt and put it this way; if they lose tomorrow night they will be out of HE contention or it's going to be close. And, that the loss tonight diminished any chance of home ice. Now, I don't want to get all excited over this but for those of you in the know, is this a possible scenario??
            I think that the fan was being overly generous to UNH in his assessment, as UNH is almost certainly, if not mathematically, out of contention for home ice. And, if the Cats lose to Luce's team again tomorrow night, the Cats are likely stuck in 9th place for the regular season, as UConn would have been the likeliest team to leapfrog for 8th place.

Comment

We're on to Connecticut....Oh wait....Yeah, we're on to Connecticut
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

The standings are too tight and there are too many games left to be that specific. After today UNH will still have a game in hand over both Maine and UConn. Therefore if UNH loses today and Wins the extra game then it is one point back with even number of games. Add in that Maine and UConn play 2 against each other in two weeks...

Also Northeastern, Providence and Lowell aren't that far away AND the not everyone can run the table.

All that said a loss today sure makes it harder, particularly because the schedule doesn't get any easier after UVM.

Also as a long time fan they are probably thinking a loss today and the second half slide is on...
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

U Conn's John Evans had 3 goals 2 assists las night against us. Can we please get our own John Evans?
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                    If you told me before the game that we’d have almost 50 SOG, take only two penalties and kill both off, I’m oretty sure I’m not guessing that the final score would be 7-4 UConn!
                    ...and go 3 for 5 on the PP? First 6 mins of that game decided their fate...
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-01-2020, 08:01 AM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      We're on to Connecticut....Oh wait....Yeah, we're on to Connecticut
                      Yes indeed sir! Winning in the XL hasn't happened for the 'Cats so tonight's the night we'll make history....!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtc-WDrJncA
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Yes indeed sir! Winning in the XL hasn't happened for the 'Cats so tonight's the night we'll make history....!!

Lol!
                        Last edited by e.cat; 02-01-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Y'know, for a few years there in the late '70's, Styx was a magnificent band. Then "Babe" happened.

I couldn't agree with MS7's comments about the team's lack of maturity any more strongly than I do after last night's game. Giving up three goals on four shots in just over 5 minutes, doesn't require a whole lot of analysis. Not. Ready. For. Prime. Time. I mean … sometimes things happen, and maybe last night, it was the weird goal/no goal that could have turned a 4-3 deficit into a 4-3 lead, and from that point, there's no telling what might have happened. But even if it doesn't go your way on that call/non-call … you get kicked in the shorts, how do you respond? Just roll over, and ask for another one?!?

As long as the team learns from this one, and wins tonight, it's fine, and the program is better for it. This is hardly a program right now that has any institutional knowledge of how it feels to play in a winning D-1 program. There have been a lot of nicely surprising results this season, as recently as these last couple of weekends prior … but they're "surprising" precisely because of where this program has been for the last several years … swimming in a sea of mediocrity. Getting out of that mindset is harder than winning a few games against good teams. It's developing a different mindset - one where you show up and work hard to win most of the games you're supposed to win, and probably look to split the really tough ones. Losing to UConn or Bentley or Army or being swept by UMaine tells you there's plenty of work left to be done to drag this program out from the hangover of these last few seasons. Kudos to MS7 for calling a spade a spade, and not whining about a bad break on Goal #4.

As a side note … you almost wonder if MS7 and his guys went out to practices these last couple of weeks, focusing on mostly the things many of us have been whining about on here - poor special teams, getting better on the dot, etc. - and in doing so, got improved results in those areas of the game … but all the while, while the PP was on point last night, the PK has improved quite a bit, and I think you devotees of FOW have to be pleased with those stats (plus depth scoring continues to grow) … UNH blew it last night on the conventional 5-on-5, and on lack of defensive basics??

Tonight is not so much "make or break" for this season, but it is a gut check after a UNH team which started perhaps to believe some of its own headlines, got a rude awakening last night, and now needs to show the ability and the guts to respond in kind.

I don't care who scores first … I don't care who has more SOG's or FOW's … I don't care if the PP goes oh-fer, and I don't care if the PK lets in a goal or two. Tonight is all about scoring one (1) more goal than the opposition, whether it be after 60 minutes or 65 minutes. Simple as that.

In the words of a now-deceased icon not particularly admired in these here parts …

"Just win, baby!"
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Y'know, for a few years there in the late '70's, Styx was a magnificent band. Then "Babe" happened.

I couldn't agree with MS7's comments about the team's lack of maturity any more strongly than I do after last night's game. Giving up three goals on four shots in just over 5 minutes, doesn't require a whole lot of analysis. Not. Ready. For. Prime. Time. I mean … sometimes things happen, and maybe last night, it was the weird goal/no goal that could have turned a 4-3 deficit into a 4-3 lead, and from that point, there's no telling what might have happened. But even if it doesn't go your way on that call/non-call … you get kicked in the shorts, how do you respond? Just roll over, and ask for another one?!?

As long as the team learns from this one, and wins tonight, it's fine, and the program is better for it. This is hardly a program right now that has any institutional knowledge of how it feels to play in a winning D-1 program. There have been a lot of nicely surprising results this season, as recently as these last couple of weekends prior … but they're "surprising" precisely because of where this program has been for the last several years … swimming in a sea of mediocrity. Getting out of that mindset is harder than winning a few games against good teams. It's developing a different mindset - one where you show up and work hard to win most of the games you're supposed to win, and probably look to split the really tough ones. Losing to UConn or Bentley or Army or being swept by UMaine tells you there's plenty of work left to be done to drag this program out from the hangover of these last few seasons. Kudos to MS7 for calling a spade a spade, and not whining about a bad break on Goal #4.

As a side note … you almost wonder if MS7 and his guys went out to practices these last couple of weeks, focusing on mostly the things many of us have been whining about on here - poor special teams, getting better on the dot, etc. - and in doing so, got improved results in those areas of the game … but all the while, while the PP was on point last night, the PK has improved quite a bit, and I think you devotees of FOW have to be pleased with those stats (plus depth scoring continues to grow) … UNH blew it last night on the conventional 5-on-5, and on lack of defensive basics??

Tonight is not so much "make or break" for this season, but it is a gut check after a UNH team which started perhaps to believe some of its own headlines, got a rude awakening last night, and now needs to show the ability and the guts to respond in kind.

I don't care who scores first … I don't care who has more SOG's or FOW's … I don't care if the PP goes oh-fer, and I don't care if the PK lets in a goal or two. Tonight is all about scoring one (1) more goal than the opposition, whether it be after 60 minutes or 65 minutes. Simple as that.

In the words of a now-deceased icon not particularly admired in these here parts …

"Just win, baby!"
                            +1

It blows my mind how this club can be on you like "white on rice" and then in the next game not! Are they playing up and/or down to the competition? Taking nights off in Hockey East can bite you in the arse!

Comment

Just a crazy game, but not one that should totally surprised us. UConn isn't an elite team but they are the type of team that gives us fits. They are the biggest team in HE and they also have speed. A great timeout after the third goal but then, as we all witnessed, we let them back in. Last night we could not have started flatter but they actually quareented the victory by literally flying out of the starting gate. I still feel that splits of all of these last 10 games is a good showing for the year. Tighten up the team D but we also need for our goalies to stop the ones that the good ones stop or we will remain a so so team. Because of their size they can and will out physical us, and we need to make constant adjustments.
                              I would like to see more in game coaching. Let a shift know how they did, don't wait until the end of the period and use all those TV timeout for more feedback. Other teams seem to take better advantage of that. If they are still immature, as MS indicated, all the more reason and need for the immediacy of that feedback. This is a team that has shown so much more of what we all wanted this year. They still lack a real go to guy or two but we are getting more secondary scoring. It is a work in progress and we need to enjoy what is often a fun team to watch.
                              Go Cats! Get back on track this afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                                Just a crazy game, but not one that should totally surprised us. UConn isn't an elite team but they are the type of team that gives us fits. They are the biggest team in HE and they also have speed. A great timeout after the third goal but then, as we all witnessed, we let them back in. Last night we could not have started flatter but they actually quareented the victory by literally flying out of the starting gate. I still feel that splits of all of these last 10 games is a good showing for the year. Tighten up the team D but we also need for our goalies to stop the ones that the good ones stop or we will remain a so so team. Because of their size they can and will out physical us, and we need to make constant adjustments.
                                I would like to see more in game coaching. Let a shift know how they did, don't wait until the end of the period and use all those TV timeout for more feedback. Other teams seem to take better advantage of that. If they are still immature, as MS indicated, all the more reason and need for the immediacy of that feedback. This is a team that has shown so much more of what we all wanted this year. They still lack a real go to guy or two but we are getting more secondary scoring. It is a work in progress and we need to enjoy what is often a fun team to watch.
                                Go Cats! Get back on track this afternoon.
                                At a FOH meeting during Souzas first year he said something to the effect that he wouldn't be doing any of that once the game started...that the players would know their assignments and it was up to them to execute..agree this team has given us plenty to be excited about...but boy gotta get over that hump.

Todays huge. Go 'Cats!!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X