This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

We will take the point great weekend 'Cats!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      I'll predict a 3-3 tie tonight at The Whitt. Which would show UNH is continuing to learn.
      Wrong score but correct result. Hard not to be excited about what the team is doing right now. Looks like it was a great turnout at The Whitt tonight.

It's starting to feel like something real is going on here.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Another weekend of very good goaltending. I do not know how involved Ty Conklin is with the team and the goaltenders, but I do know both goalies have improved this season. I believe the UNH Hockey program has been positively influenced by his involvement!

Comment

So what was up with the refs tonight? I can understand why both teams were upset. Started the game calling nothing, then went to calling everything, then back to nothing. It was bad both ways, and very frustrating.

Anybody on the other end of the ice have some insight on why there was nothing called on ACs partial break away?

Finally from my angle it looked like Robinson would want that one back. I think he was just off his angle. Played a fantastic weekend.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Wrong score but correct result. Hard not to be excited about what the team is doing right now. Looks like it was a great turnout at The Whitt tonight.

It's starting to feel like something real is going on here.
            We are coming after you

Comment

Good things are happening in Durham. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                So what was up with the refs tonight? I can understand why both teams were upset. Started the game calling nothing, then went to calling everything, then back to nothing. It was bad both ways, and very frustrating.

Anybody on the other end of the ice have some insight on why there was nothing called on ACs partial break away?

Finally from my angle it looked like Robinson would want that one back. I think he was just off his angle. Played a fantastic weekend.
                Good point on the officiating … at least for the final two periods (I only caught the last few seconds of the first, starting with Joe Sacco's hit/penalty late), it was wildly inconsistent, but bad for both teams. And just when I thought the refs were swallowing their whistles late in regulation, they called UNH (Crookshank?) for a borderline hook, after letting a lot of similar or worse stuff go. Weird. But the equalizer was on even strength, so it's hard to attribute that to the officiating.

My first reaction to Crookshank's partial breakaway in OT was that he hesitated for a split second - looked like indecision - and allowed the defenseman to get a better angle on him from behind. I was mildly surprised it didn't result in a call, but I guess it was back to whistle-swallow mode by then.

Hard to criticize Robinson for a weekend where he allowed one (1) goal against a top 10 team, so let's start there. But yeah, I also thought he might want that one back, too. Albeit it was a high skill move by Suter to push the puck past Verrier and turn the corner on him to create the shot in the first place … but in pushing the puck out ahead of him, he gave Robinson a brief window to come out and either smother the chance OR at least cut out more of the shooting angle. What I think happened in Robinson's defense was that he (1) waited to see if Verrier was going to be able to stick with Suter and push him off he shot; and (2) making that assumption, he did what most goalies these days are apparently taught to do, which is to stay in the blue paint and hug the post. In some ways, similar to the goal Taylor allowed last weekend, where both clung to the near post, and allowed shooting space up top and at the far post.

Having already made an effective skill move, Suter (if MR tried to close him down in a split second reaction) would have been forced to make another high skill move, round the goalie behind the net, and see if there was any business to be made at the far post, either on his own or for a teammate. But I don't think too many goalies are trained to do that aggressive closing down stuff these days. Ironically, Tirone was one of the few goalies in recent times who actually would have probably tried to make a more aggressive play on that one, but he had other flaws. So who's to say he wouldn't have given up a goal elsewhere, y'know?

So it's six of one, half-dozen of the other, and it was still an aggressive, high skill move from a depth scorer that was needed to allow UMass to rescue a single point out of the weekend. In the end, it's hard to come down too much (if at all) on Robinson, who had a great weekend, and got the 'Cats 3 points on a weekend where they scored a total of two (2) goals. On to UConn.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

What about the NOCALL on the Mac Adams hit?

Nice call on the tie Chuck. I'll take 3 points on the weekend.

Go Cats!
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Regardless of how the weekend went you have to give a ton of credit to the PK given the fact we were on it for a ton of minutes all weekend. And of course Mikey stood on his head.

Listened to the post game presser some disappointment about not getting the win but the fact that they didnt repeat the PC weekend is huge...very proud of our team!! Is it Friday yet?!?! Go 'Cats!!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      What about the NOCALL on the Mac Adams hit?

Nice call on the tie Chuck. I'll take 3 points on the weekend.

Go Cats!
                      So glad he returned to the game it did not look good. Inconsistent officiating is an understatement but I digress....🙄
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Good point on the officiating … at least for the final two periods ... it was wildly inconsistent, but bad for both teams. ... But the equalizer was on even strength, so it's hard to attribute that to the officiating.

My first reaction to Crookshank's partial breakaway in OT ... I was mildly surprised it didn't result in a call, but I guess it was back to whistle-swallow mode by then.

Hard to criticize Robinson for a weekend where he allowed one (1) goal against a top 10 team, so let's start there. But yeah, I also thought he might want that one back, too. Albeit it was a high skill move by Suter to push the puck past Verrier and turn the corner on him to create the shot in the first place … On to UConn.
                        I shortened the quote for my reply.

Thanks for the confirming thoughts. The officiating was even in that it was consistently wildly inconsistent. It was a really good game to watch that was unfortunately mildly spoiled by the officiating which is a shame. For awhile I wondered how many from each team were going to get hurt and any injuries were on the refs.

Good details on the partial break away and the goal. Both are at the far end of the ice for me.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Fun fact reported by UNH Insider:

In two games vs. UMass this season, @UNHMHOCKEY has scored four goals. All four have been by defensemen: Will MacKinnon, Ryan Verrier, Max Gildon, Anthony Wyse.

Speaking of Ryan v...he's doing a great job in the blue line and Gildon has been better back there as well in recent games...love the tenacity of Kalle E as well...our blue liners rock!!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            So glad he returned to the game it did not look good. Inconsistent officiating is an understatement but I digress....🙄
                            Me too! He went into the boards hard!
                            Looked like an obvious boarding to me.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

What a rough game last night ! The Cats played their butts off. Both teams had their big boy pants on. Just watching it made me sore as I was walking out of the Whitt after the game.

Comment

Surprising that a win and tie to a top 8 PairWise team only propelled the cats two spots in the PW from 17 -> 15. I understand this has implications from the rest of college hockey (i.e. Maine beating BC twice) but I thought we’d jump a bit more. Let’s hope Yale can take down UConn today, although doesn’t matter too much if we can take advantage of next weekend. More importantly though is HE is becoming more tight for those middle-top standings. Could get interesting in late February. Keep rolling cats

Comment

Working...
                                X