This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    All four could were dangerous and none were related to a 'tough situation' - they were the same, except one guy made three and another made one and added two assists on offense...
    Honest question, real assists or I happen to handle the puck at the right time assist?

Example last night on Grasso's goal, it was I happen to handle the puck at the right time for Gildon and really that situation for Pierson.

Another example is Crookshank's goal. He did all the work the other two touched it at the right time. (Neither named Gildon)
    Last edited by JB; 02-08-2020, 03:16 PM.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by JB View Post
      Honest question, real assists or I happen to handle the puck at the right time assist?

Example last night on Grasso's goal, it was I happen to handle the puck at the right time for Gildon and really that situation for Pierson.
      Certainly not all assists are created equal, but everyone has the opportunity to 'handle the puck at the right time' and Gildon's assist totals are elite, particularly on the power play, because he's really good when he handles the puck. If assists were only a product of getting in the way then totals would be far more even across the board. Gildon is tied for the team lead in assists, has ten more than his next closest D counterpart and four times as many as the other defenseman in question. MacKinnon skates a regular shift and only has one apple. He is either never handling the puck at the right time or doesn't come close to matching Gildon's skill-set in terms of impacting and creating offense...

Gildon has had some assists this season where he did little and a number where he's put the puck on someone's tape in scoring position, including a couple he has almost seemingly banked in off of a teammates stick (tap ins).

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCnoC_C7WA

This is the game I'm talking about so you can draw your own conclusions. He shoots a pass up the middle to CK who finds Crookshank on the wing for a goal off the opening face off and then springs the Sato/Engaras 2-on-1.

Also, ironically enough, if you watch the highlights you'll catch a bad PP turnover leading to a Yale scoring chance. Gildon - not on the ice. The play - never mentioned. What would have happened on the board if Gildon had turned that puck over?
      Last edited by Dan; 02-08-2020, 03:28 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Be critical all you want. Just be critical like an adult. I mean how many times today have I said criticism is fair, just that your original posts were off-base and out of bounds. Also, If you don't mind, I'd love to see your work regarding six penalties costing UNH a power-play...

As for the +1, he has also contributed 19 PP points which brings him to +20 in actual GF/GA (additional PP-pluses and there have been at least a few are likely cancelled out by a few GA on the PK). That's a massive contribution, considering UNH only has 24 PP goals total (Your top D shouldn't be accounting for nearly 84% of your PPG and yet, without any real appreciation from the fan base, he does it). Again, be honest in your criticism, especially if you're going to cite +/- as a way of insinuating he's hurting the team by allowing too many goals against relative to what he produces...

He's cost them a few PPs - would you trade that for an entirely dismal PP by pulling him off the unit?

---

Gildon is an offensively gifted defenseman, who still needs to improve in his own end and could stand to make simpler decisions when the play calls for simplicity. He's only 20 but he's been here for three years and UNH needs him to be great every night if they want to maximize team results.

^ That is a heavy is the crown, fair criticism of a team's best player. Not this drivel about benching him, calling him soft or calling him names. If you want to be critical of certain plays be critical, but be fair. And if you're only calling him out because he's the best guy and needs to be better than pretending he's the worst D on the team is just going to make you look foolish when apparently you don't even believe it to be true...

He is still UNH's best player/talent by far and contributes far more to the team than he costs them - even on his worst days. Certainly far more than some of the defensemen being lauded on this very thread today. If Gildon turned as many pucks over in dangerous situations as one in particular, people would want him cut and forced to walk back to Texas...

All turnovers hurt the same regardless of the size of the players' crowns. We all understand the psychology of the best player getting an unfair proportion of the blame, but Gildon is not the reason why an entire team melted down against a more physical UConn team*. That is an illegitimate criticism. There are plenty of ways to point out that Gildon made a mistake, took a bad penalty or made a complicated play without resorting to what you have consistently resorted to the past few weeks...

---

* They've been the SMT's for decades, have zero truly physical defenseman and five of their top-six offensive forwards are all under 5-10 and 180 lbs (in reality, if not quite by roster standards) but when they get out-sized by UConn its all on Max?

Didn’t realize sensitivity levels were so high. The 6 was minutes my bad. So he has cost them 3 PP. 19 points is great but that means 90% of his offense is on the PP.

Even strength is where he suffers and that’s also where contact happens

Comment

Originally posted by norbert View Post
          Didn’t realize sensitivity levels were so high. The 6 was minutes my bad. So he has cost them 3 PP. 19 points is great but that means 90% of his offense is on the PP.

Even strength is where he suffers and that’s also where contact happens
          As usual, when someone mentions sensitivity it is THEY who have had their feelings hurt.

There is nothing sensitive about my post. Some people live by the golden rule. I treat people the way they treat people. So if you're going to behave the way you have I'm going to treat you kind. And if you post misleading stats as fact I'm going to call you out...

---

And if he didn't have those 19 PP points (and more than 20% of the team's PP goals) where would the PP and this season be right now? You've solidified your lack of objectivity at this point. If all his production and (on ice GF) come on the PP than how bad has he really been 5-on-5? He's only scored four points at even strength and he's just a -2, so how many goals against has he actually given up? That's the question you should be asking. But instead you spend UNH games watching him like a hawk waiting for the slightest mistake so you can come to the board and call him names and question his character in public...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

So honest reaction... The clip makes it hard to tell. Example the first assist, did Gildon pass to a CK who was wearing a Yale guy as a jersey... It is hard to see. If yes it is a I played the puck at the right time assist.

This (previous and next comments) are not doubting Gildon's offensive talent. How many of those assists are PP? PP QBs get lots of points.

His development "issues" are not with that part of his game. It is with D zone work, and decision making - particularly in physical games.

Side note on the PP they get stuck at times and I wonder if Crookshank QBing from the half wing would help. He moves his feet, attacks AND can make solid crisp passes. It is a different look, makes the "box" move and would take pressure off the D at the blue line.

I have seen this a couple times as a non set... Stale PP and Crookshank just takes it.
            Last edited by JB; 02-08-2020, 03:54 PM.
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

As usual, when someone mentions sensitivity it is THEY who have had their feelings hurt.
              He isn't sensitive and does not have feelings that he is aware of to get hurt...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Well...you do make a point there. We've been down this road since his arrival. The talent is obvious just wish the gaffes were not so potentially costly...but, no one beats his skating ability and his work on the PP. We'll miss it when he's gone. hey snives, are you going to be at the 'Whitt tonight? I hear the power's back on
                Will not be able to see the Cats again until the 29th, which will be my last Cats game this season, unless we make it into the relatively new non--MBPBEGAM HEA post-season, and do not travel to Orono. :-)

Comment

I checked the thread this afternoon. I am a little surprised by what has been posted over the last 24 hours. I should have some time later this evening and tomorrow to do some posting and sharing of my thoughts. Lets hope the Cats have a good game and a good result this evening!

Comment

There is nothing sensitive about my post. Some people live by the golden rule. I treat people the way they treat people. So if you're going to behave the way you have I'm going to treat you kind. And if you post misleading stats as fact I'm going to call you out...

---

And if he didn't have those 19 PP points (and more than 20% of the team's PP goals) where would the PP and this season be right now? You've solidified your lack of objectivity at this point. If all his production and (on ice GF) come on the PP than how bad has he really been 5-on-5? He's only scored four points at even strength and he's just a -2, so how many goals against has he actually given up? That's the question you should be asking. But instead you spend UNH games watching him like a hawk waiting for the slightest mistake so you can come to the board and call him names and question his character in public...
                    What stat was misleading? I admitted that it should have been 3 PP not 6 as that was minutes.

I watch everyone at every game. As for how bad has he been? 2 points and -1 on even strength. That is not a superior star line.

As for the PP yes 19 points are good but without convictions you can say they would not score on those without him

Maybe my view from not as high a perch is different.

Comment

5 on 3 coming for UVM...
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        5 on 3 coming for UVM...
                        From live stats it appears that the Cats killed 90 seconds of 5-3; not bad. But, I prefer the olden days of the SMT's.

EDIT: honest question, who was on ice for UNH on UVM SHG? CHN no longer allows me access to play by play, just stats.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 02-08-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Filip gets a beauty 2-1 'Cats
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            From live stats it appears that the Cats killed 90 seconds of 5-3; not bad. But, I prefer the olden days of the SMT's.

EDIT: honest question, who was on ice for UNH on UVM SHG? CHN no longer allows me access to play by play, just stats.
                            The 5 were Grasso, Pierson, Crookshank, MacAdams, and one more guy from UNH that I can’t mention cause I don’t want to be accused of picking on a guy who made a bad pass that led to a 2 on 1 short handed and to the tying goal.

#highperch
                            Last edited by norbert; 02-08-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Way to get those much needed points "Cats!!! Hard earned.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post
                                The 5 were Grasso, Pierson, Crookshank, MacAdams, and one more guy from UNH that I can’t mention cause I don’t want to be accused of picking on a guy who made a bad pass that led to a 2 on 1 short handed and to the tying goal.

#highperch
                                That is what I feared. FWIIW, CHN advanced metrics had Crookshank and Gildon leading UNH in total shot attempts (11, 10; team total 62), with 5 and 2 at even strength, 6 and 8 on PP, and 5 and 2 when the game was close (within a goal, which does not make sense).

Apparently no SMT's tonight, with 6 minors and one 10-min misconduct (compared to UVM's 7 minors, one 5-min major, and two 10-min misconducts).

UNH now all alone in 6th, but only 1 point up over PC and Yukon, the latter with a game in hand, and 2 points up on NU, which has 2 games in hand. So, basically within 3 points of ninth place.
                                Last edited by Snively65; 02-08-2020, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X