This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

....and that's another multiple point game for Filip E with 3 helpers. SOG amd FO winners too ha!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      The feed by Blackburn to MacKinnon a thing of beauty and the screen by Stevenson huge!
      Wheres the like button!!!!😄
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        What a baby. If you've got an issue with the UNH coaching staff, just come out and say it.

Instead, we get this delusional, self-absorbed tripe ...

“You always want to contribute and help the team win,” said van Riemsdyk, whose older brothers, James and Trevor, also played for UNH and are now in the NHL. “It can get a little frustrating at times. I’m focused on seeing the bigger picture as long as we’re winning and I’m playing the right way. I just want to win trophies in this game. My role is to be a plus player and keep the other team off the scoresheet.”

Gag. Jeezus, he waxes poetic about winning a trophy/tournament in frickin' November in Northern Ireland, and all of a sudden, we're supposed to consider him the next Mark Messier or something. Note to BvB - it's still frickin' November. I give your older brother crap for being a 3rd line winger on a meh NHL team ... but at least he's in the NHL, and he's a multi-millionaire. And your other brother Trevor seems to be the guy to lay claim to being the "trophy winner" in he family so far. You want to stay in hockey after this season, you say? Suggestion - learn how to tape ankles. Or how to operate a Zamboni, maybe. Putz.

I've always - ALWAYS - rooted for the Huskies in the Beanpot. Not this year, though. Nice work, champ ...
        Great rant, Chuck! +1 :-)

Comment

BVR was a great UNH student-athlete. I don't think we should be inferring things from stuff that wasn't said or included in the article. No quote regarding the coaching staff tells me nothing as we don't know what questions were asked, how they were asked or what the author decided to focus on or omit...

He graduated early and wanted to compete in the NCAA Tournament and get a Masters. Who can blame him. He probably doesn't leave if the UNH Program is in better shape. That frustrates me regarding the UNH Program, not BVR...

Additionally, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened again this year and I wont kick that athlete out the door either. The Wildcats got the better of him today, great win - but NU's still 11th in the country and in very good position for a Tournament berth. Good luck to them and BVR from this corner...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

What a baby. If you've got an issue with the UNH coaching staff, just come out and say it.

“You always want to contribute and help the team win,” said van Riemsdyk, whose older brothers, James and Trevor, also played for UNH and are now in the NHL. “It can get a little frustrating at times. I’m focused on seeing the bigger picture as long as we’re winning and I’m playing the right way. I just want to win trophies in this game. My role is to be a plus player and keep the other team off the scoresheet.”

Gag. Jeezus, he waxes poetic about winning a trophy/tournament in frickin' November in Northern Ireland, and all of a sudden, we're supposed to consider him the next Mark Messier or something. Note to BvB - it's still frickin' November. I give your older brother crap for being a 3rd line winger on a meh NHL team ... but at least he's in the NHL, and he's a multi-millionaire. And your other brother Trevor seems to be the guy to lay claim to being the "trophy winner" in he family so far. You want to stay in hockey after this season, you say? Suggestion - learn how to tape ankles. Or how to operate a Zamboni, maybe. Putz.

I've always - ALWAYS - rooted for the Huskies in the Beanpot. Not this year, though. Nice work, champ ...
            He can take his Beanpot and shove it where the sun don't shine!
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Gildon plays big minutes and has still only been on the ice for three of the 12 goals against since the second half began (Wyse and Maass are at four a piece - Wyse in one fewer game - for comparison). He's a +3 dating back to the Army game. Its fair to wish he was scoring more, its fair to worry about the PP and its fair to be critical of specific decisions and plays - but arguing he should be scratched and is the worst player on the ice is completely foolish. He's playing well (as are most all of the D currently), just not exceptional as he was earlier (not to mention over the course of 1-2 games that happens to everyone)...

This game is a perfect example of my theory regarding criticism of the best players. Verrier blows a tire (and gives up a 2 on 1) then immediately turns another puck over and no one says boo. But Gildon doesn't connect on 100% of his passes and isn't perfect and someones arguing to scratch him. Its comical...
              Fair point, and one I've admitted to in the past. Sitting him doesn't make sense, and I didn't see tonight's game, but I did see the Yale game last weekend, and he looked bored out there. And it's not just the "he's so talented he makes it look easy" thing, I get that. There are times he's trying to make difficult plays that didn't appear the least bit necessary (watch the Yale tape, he cuts out in front of Taylor from behind his own goal twice, when easier exit options were there), so I'm guessing Norbert may have seen similar stuff out there tonight.

The kid clearly has huge talent, and has had it since Day One. But it's possibly also instructive to remember that Wisconsin let him decommit a few years ago when they were faced with a glut of other defensemen in the pipeline. Maybe they got that wrong … or maybe there's just something in his DNA that they ID'ed and decided to take a pass on, and *possibly* some of that shows itself once in awhile when this immensely talented kid makes totally avoidable errors, or looks less invested in the game sometimes?

Maybe it's just a rough spot, and who knows what might be going on elsewhere in his life. Heck, today we all learned that Baby van Bandwagon wasn't exactly all-in at UNH last season …

(Transferring) was a little bit on my mind during the (season) last year,” van Riemsdyk said. “I wasn’t necessarily happy with the way things were going.

I'm confident Gildon will rediscover his top form (and focus?) over the coming weeks, but I'm equally confident he'll be playing pro hockey somewhere before his older teammates graduate. C'est la vie.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

he'll be playing pro hockey somewhere before his older teammates graduate. C'est la vie.
                Of this I have little doubt.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

If it makes you feel any better, he's been far and away the worst player who's regularly in the line-up for NU this year. The collegiate Brett Ritchie.
                  2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                  2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

e.cat
                    About your Beanpot suggestion: Your jealousy is showing. Try to take comfort from your victory over NU. It may be a while until you earn another!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      The feed by Blackburn to MacKinnon a thing of beauty and the screen by Stevenson huge!
                      Blackburn also 13-4 in FOWL; better than Patrice Bergeron on a good night! FOW way underrated. :-)

UNH now 22nd in PWR, tied with Bemidji and Army with 38 points.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Blackburn also 13-4 in FOWL; better than Patrice Bergeron on a good night! FOW way underrated. :-)

UNH now 22nd in PWR, tied with Bemidji and Army with 38 points.
                        See FO's matter!! Despite our early 3rd period malaise I think the 'Cats played very well tonight. Nice to get those 2 points and a bump in the PWR. Thrilled for MacKinnon... Another huge series next week (and beyond) Build on this one go 'Cats!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
                          e.cat
                          About your Beanpot suggestion: Your jealousy is showing. Try to take comfort from your victory over NU. It may be a while until you earn another!
                          I could care less about the Beanpot. Never have, never will. To me, it was viewed from afar, as an excuse for the Boston kids to party and get drunk. My animus is more about vR jumping ship than anything else. Can you blame us for that?
                          Last edited by e.cat; 01-12-2020, 08:08 AM.
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Sunday morning musings....I see we are in a tie for 7th place in the HE standings with the win over NU last night. I know there is a ton of hockey left; anything can happen. Every point counts. Hope the MC loss early on doesn't come back to bite us. That all said...anyone got a read on how many games in hand do we have on teams like Maine, UConn? I'd say it's neck and neck but am too lazy to do the work. No matter; every.game.counts. Cool thing about last night is Souza said they had to do better with puck possession and that's what they did. Maybe I'm dreaming but thought that last night UNH seemed the most prepared as I've seen them this year. Go 'Cats!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              UNH Defenseman since Thanksgiving...

Maass +8
                              Gildon +5
                              Wyse +4
                              Erikkson +4
                              McKinnon +1
                              Dawson +1
                              Verrier -1

Gildon 0-4--4
                              Maass 0-4--4
                              Erikkson 0-2--2
                              Verrier 1-0--1
                              McKinnon 1-0--1
                              Wyse 0-1--1
                              Dawson 0-0--0

Gildon plays big minutes and has still only been on the ice for three of the 12 goals against since the second half began (Wyse and Maass are at four a piece - Wyse in one fewer game - for comparison). He's a +3 dating back to the Army game. Its fair to wish he was scoring more, its fair to worry about the PP and its fair to be critical of specific decisions and plays - but arguing he should be scratched and is the worst player on the ice is completely foolish. He's playing well (as are most all of the D currently), just not exceptional as he was earlier (not to mention over the course of 1-2 games that happens to everyone)...

This game is a perfect example of my theory regarding criticism of the best players. Verrier blows a tire (and gives up a 2 on 1) then immediately turns another puck over and no one says boo. But Gildon doesn't connect on 100% of his passes and isn't perfect and someones arguing to scratch him. Its comical...
                              The criticism isn’t about not connection on every pass. It’s on taking a penalty in back to back games early in a power play. Its about repeatedly turning the puck over on your own blue line trying to break out of the zone leading to odd man breaks.

He’s a good hockey player and might be doing too much but in the 3 last home games he has regressed. Compared to last year it is definitely a different player

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                                If it makes you feel any better, he's been far and away the worst player who's regularly in the line-up for NU this year. The collegiate Brett Ritchie.
                                BvR isn't a bad player. I think he has really good hockey sense. The problem is he is s--l--o--w. It makes him look really bad, because he just can't keep up with the pace of play.

His hockey sense makes him a fairly good defensive forward. Only problem is he needs to hang high in the offensive zone or the play just gets away from him.

I am not upset he jumped ship. Particularly on the big ice he had very limited impact.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X