This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Yeah, my whole thing with this run is that the team has proven they can go into Mullins or Schneider and get a win so it had me feeling better about what I anticipated to be a 5-8 finish for them. The fact that they are pumping up the current 7th,8th, and 10th place teams with a lot of points makes it harder for them to get into one of those road positions. It's still wide open and they have plenty of games to get themselves back into a top 8 slot, I'm guessing they need to win at least 5 of the last 8 to get in.
    Last edited by deltabravo62; 02-01-2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Good teams are consistent teams. That’s what differentiates a group from middle of the pack to above average. UNH proved, in one dreadful weekend, they’re still a middle of the pack team with a ways to go. That was as bad a result as one could have imagined...

At large bids and home ice opportunities take a massive hit, if not out the window...
      Yes and yes. Or YES and YES. Lots of very good work, now starting to look like a mirage. Bummed.

As an aside … what are the odds, in this low scoring era, of getting back-to-back 7-4 games???
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
        Yeah, my whole thing with this run is that the team has proven they can go into Mullins or Schneider and get a win so it had me feeling better about what I anticipated to be a 5-8 finish for them. The fact that they are pumping up the current 7th,8th, and 10th place teams with a lot of points makes it harder for them to get into one of those road positions.
        Agreed. It’s hard to reconcile. I think you’re right about their tenuous position, too...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
          Yeah, my whole thing with this run is that the team has proven they can go into Mullins or Schneider and get a win so it had me feeling better about what I anticipated to be a 5-8 finish for them. The fact that they are pumping up the current 7th,8th, and 10th place teams with a lot of points makes it harder for them to get into one of those road positions. It's still wide open and they have plenty of games to get themselves back into a top 8 slot, I'm guessing they need to win at least 5 of the last 8 to get in.
          That's a tall order...
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Doh! 🤣

Comment

Not to be negative, but while I agree that there is still a lot of hockey left to be played, UNH pretty much dug themselves into a deep hole this weekend. A #8 spot is going to be a real reach especially if it comes down to a tiebreaker between all three teams. UNH is going to have a steal a lot of games down the stretch and hope the Maine and UCONN falter. I....man.....I just can't see it. Sorry.

This team is a MUCH better team than we've had in previous seasons. Unfortunately, the parity of the league this year and a losing record to the lower echelon of teams I'm afraid has doomed them from going to post-season play. Not quite saying it's over....but the fat lady is standing at stage left IMHO.
              Last edited by Scott; 02-01-2020, 08:54 PM.
              UNH

Comment

Exactly, you are waiting on someone to falter ahead of you while keeping your head above water. As a team they need to refocus on their game and their game only. My minimum expectation for what a playoff entry would require is a sweep of VT and a split of all of the other 3 series left. And yes, it is a tall order but this is the position they put themselves into by giving up points to the teams they are going to be fighting with for those last few spots. On the good side, teams in front of them will have to lose by virtue of them having to play each other. It comes down to can they take care of business on their own to overcome the fact that teams in front of them will have to lose. This season has been a toss up of great wins and w/t/f losses, as stated above the parity in the league is amazing this year. It leaves the window wide open to climb out of this mess and it also leaves them open to being left behind after a strong improvement on the season, it will be interesting to see how this chapter ends over the next 5 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Not to be negative, but while I agree that there is still a lot of hockey left to be played, UNH pretty much dug themselves into a deep hole this weekend. A #8 spot is going to be a real reach especially if it comes down to a tiebreaker between all three teams. UNH is going to have a steal a lot of games down the stretch and hope the Maine and UCONN falter. I....man.....I just can't see it. Sorry.

This team is a MUCH better team than we've had in previous seasons. Unfortunately, the parity of the league this year and a losing record to the lower echelon of teams I'm afraid has doomed them from going to post-season play. Not quite saying it's over....but the fat lady is standing at stage left IMHO.
                  Scott this is what that fan was saying to me last night. Welp...it is what it is I guess.

Comment

Entirely agree. Worst weekend in at least six seasons. Gave up 6 goals in each of two games to NU at the Whitt 22+23 February 2019, 6-3 and 6-0 losses (Robinson 5 GA + ENG in first; Taylor 4 GA and Lazzaro 2 GA in second).

Lost 8-0 @ NU 23 Feb 2018 (Robinson 5 GA, Tirone 3 GA).

Gave up 8 goals three times in 2016-17 season (8-2 loss to UML, 4 Feb 2017, Tirone 6 GA, Clark 2 GA; 8-4 loss to BU at Whitt on 18 Feb 2017, Tirone 8 GA; 8-2 loss at UML on 12 March 2017, Tirone, 8 GA).

Lost 7-4 at Michigan State on 7 Nov 2015 (Tirone 7 GA) and lost 6-2 to NU at Whitt on 16 Jan 2016 (Tirone 6 GA).

Lost 8-2 @ UML 1 Nov 2014 (Clark 6 GA, Regan 2 GA).

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      As an aside … what are the odds, in this low scoring era, of getting back-to-back 7-4 games???
                      It is the first time it has happened this season in 785 games, so pretty low.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Dear 'Cats...

So you had a bad weekend. It happens. You've come a long way this season! What happens down the stretch is what matters..it will not be easy. Nothing comes easy at this point but you have shown you can play with and win with the best of them! Time to reset and focus. Play your game; the game you were meant to play.

Eyes forward and no looking back...promise your loyal fans you will do whatever it takes to be in every game you have left...

See you at the finish line!!
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-02-2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Remember what Darius said about those 2 MC points.....🙄

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Dear 'Cats...

So you had a bad weekend. It happens. You've come a long way this season
                            Not as far as we'd hoped, or at least not as far as it may have appeared only a few short days ago.

It's definitely feeling a little more "treading water" than "trending upwards" at this moment TBH.

A sweep next weekend is now an absolute MUST to set the stage for the final 6 games ...
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Kelleher..did he get hurt last night? Left in the first did he come back?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Not as far as we'd hoped, or at least not as far as it may have appeared only a few short days ago.

It's definitely feeling a little more "treading water" than "trending upwards" at this moment TBH.

A sweep next weekend is now an absolute MUST to set the stage for the final 6 games ...
                                Yeah...I get that (the need to sweep). I knew UConn would be tougher than most people thought. Despite the goal thing happening they were far.more motivated and prepared than UNH it seemed. They skate well, have decent goal tending. Oh well onto UVM and hopefully the fact that they have no HE points is not lost on the 'Cats.

Comment

Working...
                                X