This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Back to hockey - UNH beats BU (Beanpot hangover) 4-2 tonight, gets a tie tomorrow night at Agganis. 'Cats still in business, someone else will gack it up, and UNH will make the postseason. Nothing but positive thoughts for MS7 and the boys. GO UNH!!!

This didn't age well....

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      I think that's the part some folks on here are missing … unless you live here, it's hard to explain how big a deal it is when the first-in-the-nation primary rolls around every four years. And if you live here and don't really feel the energy level for a month or so, hey - maybe you're intentionally avoiding it (a valid choice) OR you're a hermit and/or just not paying attention. There are just SO many candidates out and around, for weeks if not months in advance (I've crossed paths with Tulsi's campaign at least 4 times in the last year - no exaggeration), it's harder to avoid it than to even accidentally come into contact with it. For me, it's fun. Some folks in our family share my enthusiasm. Others do not. It's all good. But it's almost inescapable, and if it's something you even find remotely compelling, you can't match it.

Example - this past Monday night, we got into Manchester to see the President's rally. Had to get there two-plus hours ahead of time to get in to see it. Many folks waited a long time in the early evening hours to get in. Bars all over downtown were packed not only by the overflow crowd, but also for events by the other candidates (including my last brush with the Tulsi campaign, in the Rex Theatre across from the lot where we parked, about a quarter mile away from SNHU Arena). Got to see the Presidential motorcade, merch vendors everywhere, and still over a thousand folks outside the arena at the end who apparently watched the President's event on a large video board. MPD was saying that thousands more came but couldn't get in. In short, it was an event, and as crazy as it sounds to some of the folks down in the Boston area, for a night, Manchester NH was THE place to be.

It's kind of sad for me when I read how posters put up their thoughts and opinions, and then felt compelled to take them down, for whatever reason. We're all adults, we do what we want, and we make our choices on what to post, and what to hold back. But the reason most folks feel threatened is the pervasive PC "cancel culture", even if they're scared to death to come out and say it. I'm too old (and probably too naive) to care any more, so my default is to post it, and let folks say what they will. I'll live, and if it twerks you, that's your issue - not mine. Sorry.

Back to hockey - UNH beats BU (Beanpot hangover) 4-2 tonight, gets a tie tomorrow night at Agganis. 'Cats still in business, someone else will gack it up, and UNH will make the postseason. Nothing but positive thoughts for MS7 and the boys. GO UNH!!!
      Nothing like a political conversation to take away from a dreadful night of hockey. To each their own on this but I am glad its over for now, less phone calls until August when it starts again. This entire thing is a complete waste of time. There is a gaggle of Dems running with no chance of winning especially on unrealistic platform promises. While I'd love to see the man child and his Twitter disappear its not happening. I'd give UNH a better chance of winning an NC before things change in the next election. Not sure what I missed to spark this wish I had not.

Just glad the next home game I'll be in the middle of the Caribbean realizing only 1 more home game and no expense for playoff or Garden tickets.

Comment

O-8-2 in last 10 games with BU? Think the last time we beat them was in 2015? 'Cats have backs up against the wall.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

To be entirely fair, it didn't look like UNH even belonged on the same ice as BU tonight.

Yes. Gildon gacked up the puck at the most inopportune time on BU's 3rd goal. If there was ever a time in the game where UNH was going to have an opportunity to claw back into this game, it was right after the PK and Stevenson's goal early in the second period, and the play was a totally avoidable one. As both Greg and Norbert pointed out in their earlier comments.

Having said that … even if that giveaway and resulting goal hadn't happened, it felt like BU was in total control throughout, and would have just found another gear whenever they needed to in order to get another one. Felt bad for Robinson, it looked like his defenders were sitting in his lap all night, reminiscent of late Umile-era defending. Seemed like only Crookshank could keep up and pose a consistent threat at the other end. UNH is going to need to be MUCH better, and catch some breaks, to have a shot at anything tomorrow night. And then it's really going to be an uphill struggle to sneak into the playoffs. Such is the price of allowing a mediocre UConn team to sweep them two weekends ago. Now, we really get to find out what UNH is made of ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            I’ll start off by saying that I graduated from UNH is ‘72. My wife, who I met at UNH, is from North Conway. I have very good friends who live in various corners of the state and I vacation in Moultonboro every July. And there was a fairly significant period in my life when I thought I would retire to the Seacoast but just couldn’t make the move. All that being said, there is really no sane reason why New Hampshire (and Iowa) should be the first in the nation primary. I know all the reasons, people get close to the candidates, those running need to deal with people face to face, all the old retail politics arguments. But the demographics of New Hampshire don’t reflect the demographics of the country. It’s old, it’s rural and it’s white. There are states, relative small ones, where retail politics could still be practiced but have the ethnic and generational diversity that New Hampshire, in fact, all of New England lacks.
            (sigh)

Greg, I've always had a ton of respect for you (still do) and a lot of time for your thoughts/opinions. At least as I understand it, you ran your own small business for several decades, did so quite successfully, and you've never shied away from expressing a fiercely-independent viewpoint on here on a wide range of subjects - hockey or otherwise. When you post, I tend to read it.

So I see your comments above, and I wonder to myself, when did you allow your independent thought process to get hijacked by some boilerplate HR policy or consultant-driven group-think? You're entitled to your opinion, not saying otherwise ... but maybe NH and Iowa are first because they want to be first? And because the two parties allow them to be first?? How many more traditions must we tear down in the name of "diversity" and "demographics" before everyone is happy???

Maybe Massachusetts should move their state capital to Worcester, or even Springfield? Boston's not exactly geographically in the middle of the Commonwealth, and gosh, those two other cities sure could use the boost that being state capital might bring, no? Pretty much every other state in the Northeast handles it using a geographic center approach. There's "no sane reason" to keep the capital in Boston, when you look at it that way.

Or maybe, that's just the way things have worked up until now, and there's no real reason to change what ain't broken, no??

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              To be entirely fair, it didn't look like UNH even belonged on the same ice as BU tonight.

Yes. Gildon gacked up the puck at the most inopportune time on BU's 3rd goal. If there was ever a time in the game where UNH was going to have an opportunity to claw back into this game, it was right after the PK and Stevenson's goal early in the second period, and the play was a totally avoidable one. As both Greg and Norbert pointed out in their earlier comments.

Having said that … even if that giveaway and resulting goal hadn't happened, it felt like BU was in total control throughout, and would have just found another gear whenever they needed to in order to get another one. Felt bad for Robinson, it looked like his defenders were sitting in his lap all night, reminiscent of late Umile-era defending. Seemed like only Crookshank could keep up and pose a consistent threat at the other end. UNH is going to need to be MUCH better, and catch some breaks, to have a shot at anything tomorrow night. And then it's really going to be an uphill struggle to sneak into the playoffs. Such is the price of allowing a mediocre UConn team to sweep them two weekends ago. Now, we really get to find out what UNH is made of ...
              Agree after the first BU goal things went in their favor and no doubt their talent is what it is..but someone explain to me why Ryan Verrier gets the gate when there were obvious BU players throwing punches to the head in that skirmish and they get zipp?

Yeah..UNH had their chances early and down the stretch here and there...Tucker came up big. All that said doubt going 4 v 4 in that instance mentioned above would have mattered. Maybe things are different t tonight.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Agree after the first BU goal things went in their favor and no doubt their talent is what it is..but someone explain to me why Ryan Verrier gets the gate when there were obvious BU players throwing punches to the head in that skirmish and they get zipp?
                Didn't see that, was out at the time, saw most of the last two periods. So I can't comment accurately.

Having said that … never forget, it's a Boston-centered league, with most of the officials from that area.

Going back at least to the Parker era, BU has usually gotten the rub of the green on tight calls.

Just sayin' ...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  I’ll start off by saying that I graduated from UNH is ‘72. My wife, who I met at UNH, is from North Conway. I have very good friends who live in various corners of the state and I vacation in Moultonboro every July. And there was a fairly significant period in my life when I thought I would retire to the Seacoast but just couldn’t make the move. All that being said, there is really no sane reason why New Hampshire (and Iowa) should be the first in the nation primary. I know all the reasons, people get close to the candidates, those running need to deal with people face to face, all the old retail politics arguments. But the demographics of New Hampshire don’t reflect the demographics of the country. It’s old, it’s rural and it’s white. There are states, relative small ones, where retail politics could still be practiced but have the ethnic and generational diversity that New Hampshire, in fact, all of New England lacks.

Obligatory hockey content. If UNH is going to split this weekend, it better be tonight. BU may have lost the Beanpot in double OT to NU, but they dominated all but the second period. Better beat their average goalies early.

It's fair question Greg, why New Hampshire should be the first in the nation primary. The demographics as you say lack diversity in some ways but not in others. There is a lack of diversity in terms of color but not in terms of thinking. New Hampshire has had the first in the nation primary since 1920. In many ways, the New Hampshire primary is a New England primary today reflecting the views of the whole region not just New Hampshire IMO. It puts New Hampshire and the region in the spotlight for a brief period it would not otherwise be in. Maybe that's the reason New Hampshire wants to keep it first.

Obligatory hockey comment: UNH better stay disciplined tonight and stay out of the box or they will have no chance at any points. GO CATS!
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Really didn't want to get into it with someone who's probably been my favorite poster on here for a long LONG time, due to his consistent quality and subtle sense of humor. But with a second shot across the bow coming in overnight, I guess I need to at least chime in. Apologies to all in advance …

First of all, you throw around the use of two terms (one pejorative about the previous President, the other on liberals) that I've never used, either here or elsewhere. I'll talk about 44 later. There are also a few other "straw men" you've set up in the space of two relatively tidy posts, and then proceeded to take out. Good for you, I guess. If I were following your lead, I guess this is the point where I'd accuse you of being a granola-munching, MSNBC Maddow devotee? But I don't know that, so I won't go there.

I'm not sure where "victimhood" comes into play, but if that's the called-for reaction you're sensing through your political lens, who am I to tell you otherwise, 'Watcher? I think others might have already seen it for what it is, which is lamenting that folks of different persuasions used to be able to come on here and enjoy a little bit of harmless give-and-take, no harm, no foul. And it seems like even that has gone away. I'll just have to adjust to the changing winds of the USCHO/UNH world at some point.

Now briefly onto the "meat and potatoes" … I never voted for President Obama (I know, you're shocked), and I wasn't really a big fan of many of his liberal policies. But he was elected (twice) fair and square, so he was the President, and we all have our feelings on how well those 8 years went. So in 2016, President Trump was elected, fair and square, and all we've heard from those of the other political persuasion has been hair-on-fire, end-of-the-world, non-stop whining for almost 4 years now. And ironically, the whining comes in the aftermath of the opposition to President Trump lecturing him (and his supporters) on how dangerous and poisonous it would be to question the legitimacy of elections. I guess that only applies when elections (which President Obama most assuredly told us "have consequences") go the way the entitled folks determine they should go. Which reminds me of this recent take from the Babylon Bee on that very point …

https://babylonbee.com/news/democrat...-next-election

Also, I know it's Page One of the "Resist" playbook to try to cast Fox News in a negative light, since all media should be squarely on the same page, since there's only one right way to think. Dems, liberals, the left, the elite, whatever - when the mainstream media has a very obvious, baked-in bias that runs in your favor, then every game is a home game, and I suppose Fox and the deplorables are supposed to be the Washington Generals to your Harlem Globetrotters, right? Except when MSM supports the blatantly false "Russia" narrative for well over three (3) years. Fox didn't lie to us on that fraud. I don't necessarily subscribe to each and every point Fox backs (I'm a Tucker Carlson guy, not so much for Sean Hannity, and I know e-cat was/is a Bill O'Reilly guy), but if nothing else, the last few years has exposed the MSM as blatantly partisan (which many of us suspected long ago).

But before we put this one to bed for good, 'Watcher (and others, Dan, etc.) rest assured I'm fine with the give-and-take, and yours truly is never going to claim "victimhood" because that's not the way I'm wired. I suppose amassing "victimhood" points on your side of the aisle apparently works the same way you describe your "trolling" points or whatever. And if I'm missing the humorous intent on your part - which BTW I've not entirely ruled out yet - my sincere apologies, you "got" me really good.
                    Who are the "entitled" and the "elite" on this thread to which you refer, Chuck? Most of us actually attended UNH, and many of us on in-state tuition.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Obligatory hockey comment: UNH better stay disciplined tonight and stay out of the box or they will have no chance at any points. GO CATS!
                      Obligatory hockey comment: UNH better win a recruiting battle or they will have no chance at any points in the future.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Obligatory hockey comment: UNH better win a recruiting battle or they will have no chance at any points in the future.
                        Sigh...this keeps me up at night...Wanna say I met Ty Conklin last night and thanked him for his work with our team. Glad hes been on board. Would've liked to have been able to read his mind as he watched...
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-15-2020, 09:58 AM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          O-8-2 in last 10 games with BU? Think the last time we beat them was in 2015? 'Cats have backs up against the wall.
                          Last win 5 years ago last night. Outscored 21-44 since last win

2/14/20 1-4 L @ Home
                          10/26/19 0-3 L @ Away
                          11/10/18 2-3 L @ Home
                          1/1/19 2-5 L @ Away
                          11/11/17 0-4 L @ Away
                          1/12/18 2-3 L @Home
                          2/17/17 2-2 T @ Away
                          2/18/17 4-8 L @ Home
                          2/19/16 3-3 T @ Home
                          2/20/16 2-3 L @ Away
                          2/13/15 3-6 L @ Away
                          2/14/15 4-3 W @ Home

Comment

Sad but true Watcher!
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                              Sad but true Watcher!
                              I'll add more once the season is over, but the lack of top end forwards was noticeable. The D exited the zone pretty decently last night, but have little threat once they get into the zone. The preferred play seems to be for the forwards to pass back to the point. Very little ability to beat the defense with puck skills, quick short passing. And when they get an opportunity, very little sniping ability. And on D they have a couple of weak links. I have a prejudice against some of the D, that I try to seperate out from my watching the game (because its easy to see those things that reinforce the perception), but one D directly led to one of the early goals by an inability to handle a puck and get rid of it when open for a couple of seconds. Led to him being trapped and giving up the puck for the eventual goal. Also made a couple more mistakes that cost team.
                              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-15-2020, 10:18 AM.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

I'll add more once the season is over, but the lack of top end forwards was noticeable. The D exited the zone pretty decently last night, but have little threat once they get into the zone. The preferred play seems to be for the forwards to pass back to the point. Very little ability to beat the defense with puck skills, quick short passing. And when they get an opportunity, very little sniping ability.
                                Sitting behind BU's net for two periods last night, I thought that Tucker played very well, and gave up very few rebounds. Granted, our forwards wiffed on a few, and they got down too low, which made passes into the slot difficult to collect or to make one timers. But, agreed, we do not have any snipers.

Comment

Working...
                                X