This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

A question...what did Angus do to get the misconduct penalty? That was a weird sequence of events.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      A question...what did Angus do to get the misconduct penalty? That was a weird sequence of events.
      That question was asked tonight at the post-game reception in the Skybox Lounge, both Souza and Crookshank were there along with the rest of the sophomore class. Apparently there is a rarely-enforced rule about moving the puck once the ref blows his whistle on a penalty call (?) Crookshank was apparently guilty, the ref decided to enforce the rule. Same thing happened to a Vermont player when less than five minutes left in the game, and he left the ice.

Glad we got four points this weekend, but these were the worst group of zebras that we've had all season IMHO.
      UNH

Comment

They’ve played down to the competition two weeks in a row now. Sure hope they remember how to play up ala ZooMass and earlier BC game.
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

A win is a win is a win. Good weekend for the 'Cats, two must-wins have now righted the ship, but some hard work remains to be done over the next 3 weekends. Also good to see the boys rising to the occasion in the 3rd period on both evenings, when just the slightest misstep could have been a kill-shot to their realistic shot at the playoffs.

Now there are several teams in the same leaky boat, where an unexpected bad weekend could have serious consequences for playoffs qualification. UNH definitely benefitted from facing a team that can't get out of their own way, and self-destructed to some degree. I mean … 15 seconds into the 3rd period, and your guy gets the gate on a totally unnecessary boarding major? Right there, you had to know UVM was going to find a way to lose. And full credit to UNH, they played just well enough to capitalize when the opportunity was gifted to them.

BTW how rare is it that 9 teams in an 11 team league have non-losing records this deep into the season? There is a decent chance that one of the teams that misses the playoffs will not have a losing record. And that may be unprecedented in a setting like this. It takes an awful lot of losing from the bottom two teams, and a whole lot of parity amongst the remaining 9 teams for this to unfold like it has so far. Whomever the #9 team turns out to be - and I still say it's going to be UConn - it's gonna leave a mark. Ouch.

It was fun to catch up and read through the last two pages of discussion and debate on "VSS" (BTW I always support creation of imaginative player tags, or tags for others, just makes things more fun IMO). It's not too often that things unfold this way, and I don't find myself in the midst of debate, so kudos on the spirited and enlightening debate from both sides of the aisle.

Maybe I'll weigh in further on the topic at a later date … but right now, after all this recent winning, I'm just fat and happy, and looking forward to the events of the coming week, where hopefully the winning will continue, to the point where we're begging MS7 … "Mike, we're winning too GD much, so much … we're getting tired of winning" … but we'll never get tired of winning, will we??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1KHLLsZ_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzZggRMiD8
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Power on, check.
            UNH Sweep, check.
            All this winning, check.

Speaking of winning, while Maine fans are talking about Regional seeding, we're talking about whether we'll make the Hockey East playoffs!

Just keep winning baby:-)
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

RECALCULATING!

We are currently 9-8-1 in Hockey East and 15-11-2 overall.

With 6 games left, 2 with BU, UML and BC, 20 wins in the RS is possible but highly improbable! I'm thinking we split with UML and BU and lose and tie BC to go 17-14-3 overall 11-11-2 in Hockey East.

Where 24 points in Hockey East puts the Cats is anybody's guess!
              Last edited by e.cat; 02-09-2020, 05:58 AM.
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Obviously Lekkas was huge last night as expected. Was glad we got the win and was remiss not to mention the PP goal by Max. I watched him with great intent last night. Given the opponent his skating and offensive sense really stood out. We will need that big time in the games to come. All players need to come to play a full 60 to make it into the post season!

Also Engaras has quietly continued to be a great addition to the team. Smart player and I think I we will see more good things from him. Hoping Charlie Chase and Sato will be back in the line up soon!

Couple of things: Darius what's up? Miss your level headed commentary. Keeps me grounded 😀 Like Chuck I think it's fine to debate stuff here. Cant take it personally. And Chuck: why why why did I click on your you tube? (Twice &#128563 Shame on me hahaha. Should have known better...Snowflake that I am....ha!!!

Going to be a wild finish to the HE final standings. One game at a time...Going to have to put on our big boy pants and skates going forward. Anything can happen!!! Go 'Cats!!!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-09-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Obviously Lekkas was huge last night as expected. Was glad we got the win and was remiss not to mention the PP goal by Max. I watched him with great intent last night. Given the opponent his skating and offensive sense really stood out. We will need that big time in the games to come. All players need to come to play a full 60 to make it into the post season!

Also Engaras has quietly continued to be a great addition to the team. Smart player and I think I we will see more good things from him. Hoping Charlie Chase and Sato will be back in the line up soon!

Couple of things: Darius what's up? Miss your level headed commentary. Keeps me grounded �� Like Chuck I think it's fine to debate stuff here. Cant take it personally. And Chuck: why why why did I click on your you tube? (Twice ��) Shame on me hahaha. Should have known better...Snowflake that I am....ha!!!

Going to be a wild finish to the HE final standings. One game at a time...Going to have to put on our big boy pants and skates going forward. Anything can happen!!! Go 'Cats!!!
                  I've been impressed with Engaras as well. Terrific, all around D-1 player, he has been a positive force since getting through his seemingly-forever eligibility issues, and he's been well worth the wait. Should be well-positioned to give the 'Cats two more full seasons at an even more productive level, now that he's established himself this year in mid-season. Kudos to him, considering the crap and the waiting and all, he could have just gone home and moved on. But he didn't, and I think we're all glad he did.

Kudos to Gildon on getting the all-important equalizer last night early in the third. If UNH was chasing the game much longer, it really could have gotten to be a problem, and pressing later and later could have seen frustration and loss of focus result in an error that could have deepened their deficit. Big players are supposed to make big plays, and Gildon was there when needed.

On the issue of "VSS" … uncharacteristically, I'm going to end up kind of on the fence. I've always felt the kid has got the goods and those who have pointed out that with big talent, comes big expectations … yeah, I agree with that 100%. And sometimes it can be frustrating to watch Gildon when he is not on his game, or eschews the easier/simpler play to try a risky exit that blows up in his face. You want to think the kid would know better. But a lot has been asked of Gildon during his time at UNH, and for the most part, I think he's met expectations, if not exceeded them. Recall, he was a highly sought-after player that Wisconsin basically released due to a glut of incoming talent in the position. I've said before, and I'll say again, without speculating on the specifics, but there was a reason it transpired that way. UNH was not his original first choice. And something Wisconsin saw made Gildon not their first choice in the long run either. With that said, it's kind of worked out pretty well for both here.

Would I like to see a more dependable, and more physical player? Sure. But we've gotten three (3) terrific seasons out of Max so far, which is one more season than the likes of JvR and Poturalski gave us. He also came at a time when UNH was starving for puck-moving defensemen. I liken him more to Dan Winnik (another 3 year guy), who I was never quite convinced gave us the physical play his size and stature suggested might be there (and later proved on 3rd and 4th lines across the NHL). Maybe guys like Gildon and Winnik play at 90-95% at this level, because they don't want to hurt their future chances at the next level? Another 3 year guy (TvR) suffered a horrific injury in his time at UNH, and although he's gone on to great NHL success since, he did leave a year early (and no one blamed him for it) to some degree because of that injury. Things happen.

I don't consider myself all that different from most team sports fans, in that I admire the guys who give full commitment to the team, and play the game full-out, like the most important thing in the world is winning that evening's game. And at this level, if one of those guys sticks around for all 4 years, then they've shown their commitment to the cause, and I admire that. Gildon has been here for 3 years now, and that's already one more year than many on here thought we'd get to see, so I do appreciate his commitment, in much the same way I appreciated the commitments of TvR, or Eric Nickulas or Derek Bekar. So I guess I'm more on the "glass half full" side of the debate here. And if the story ends here, I'll probably look back at things that way.

But if Gildon sticks around for all four years, and UNH continues to makes its way back to not only respectability (which is kind of where they are now) but then on to true competitiveness at the top level of the league, we will all look back at his career as a kid who wasn't meant to be here at the outset, but somehow did end up here, gave his all (or pretty darned close to it), and got the UNH program out of the toilet when he started, and back to true relevance by the time he left it. The next three weeks will tell a tale, no doubt, and if it ends well this season, I will wish the guy well if he decides it's time to move on.

The possibility of a Year Four, and completion of a transformative turnaround, could see Gildon elevated in the hearts and minds of the UNH faithful like few before him have been.

And that's what I'm still rooting for. JMHO.

P.S. to HR - thanks as always for being a good sport. We're all fans in our different ways.

Comment

UNH hockey was very fortunate to have not only Gildon come our way but Anthony Wyse as well as Benton Maass (he wasn't a recruit if I have that right?) The more the merrier!

Comment

UNH hockey was very fortunate to have not only Gildon come our way but Anthony Wyse as well as Benton Maass (he wasn't a recruit if I have that right?) The more the merrier!
                      IIRC Wyse was originally a BU commit. Don't recall Maass being a commit elsewhere, but I could well be wrong on that? While both are very good players at this level … with all due respect to both of them, they're not really even all that close to Gildon's talent and impact. And that's coming from me, the self-anointed champion of four year guys who bring it every night.

Going WAY back … one of the most endearing things about a guy like Bobby Orr was that in addition his otherworldly talent, he just never took a shift off, much less a period or a full game. The "smart guys" might look back in retrospect and question why Orr went out there, night after night, shift after shift, with all his injury-induced limitations, and put himself at continual risk of further injury and shortening his career (which he absolutely ended up doing). And the answer was/is … that's just the way the guy was wired, and it's what was at the foundation of his greatness. It cost him big-time on length of career, and on money as well (although as many of you know, that part was a wee bit more complicated).

None of us know (yet) how Gildon is wired, nor do we know what kind of voices are in his ear as far as his plans for the future. I'm certainly not wanting to cast this as "Gildon is the next Bobby Orr" because that's not what I'm trying to say here. But he does have huge talent and potential, and sometimes the way he runs the game when he's out on the ice is reminiscent of Orr. Maybe if he was playing somewhere other than in New England, where folks over 55 or so automatically compare every elite puck-carrying offensive D-man to Orr, some of these questions might not be surfacing. But he's here, and I think it's a factor when some criticism comes his way from time to time. TBF I know it's there in the back of my mind. And I can honestly say, that's never ever been a thought that even came close to crossing my mind watching any other UNH defenseman (or player) over the last 45 or so seasons. I guess I wonder if maybe that's behind what some of my fellow UNH fans see and think here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        IIRC Wyse was originally a BU commit. Don't recall Maass being a commit elsewhere, but I could well be wrong on that? While both are very good players at this level … with all due respect to both of them, they're not really even all that close to Gildon's talent and impact. And that's coming from me, the self-anointed champion of four year guys who bring it every night.

Going WAY back … one of the most endearing things about a guy like Bobby Orr was that in addition his otherworldly talent, he just never took a shift off, much less a period or a full game. The "smart guys" might look back in retrospect and question why Orr went out there, night after night, shift after shift, with all his injury-induced limitations, and put himself at continual risk of further injury and shortening his career (which he absolutely ended up doing). And the answer was/is … that's just the way the guy was wired, and it's what was at the foundation of his greatness. It cost him big-time on length of career, and on money as well (although as many of you know, that part was a wee bit more complicated).

None of us know (yet) how Gildon is wired, nor do we know what kind of voices are in his ear as far as his plans for the future. I'm certainly not wanting to cast this as "Gildon is the next Bobby Orr" because that's not what I'm trying to say here. But he does have huge talent and potential, and sometimes the way he runs the game when he's out on the ice is reminiscent of Orr. Maybe if he was playing somewhere other than in New England, where folks over 55 or so automatically compare every elite puck-carrying offensive D-man to Orr, some of these questions might not be surfacing. But he's here, and I think it's a factor when some criticism comes his way from time to time. TBF I know it's there in the back of my mind. And I can honestly say, that's never ever been a thought that even came close to crossing my mind watching any other UNH defenseman (or player) over the last 45 or so seasons. I guess I wonder if maybe that's behind what some of my fellow UNH fans see and think here?
                        45 or so seasons = Rod Langway!

55 or so seasons = Brad Houston. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          (BTW I always support creation of imaginative player tags, or tags for others, just makes things more fun IMO).
                          I'd go with infantile (coaches, staff), occasionally amusing (NICC or whatever), completely uncalled for and inappropriate (players).

Darius what's up? Miss your level headed commentary. Keeps me grounded ??
                          Just busy and avoiding bringing a crappy attitude to the board after the UConn weekend, but thanks! So...

Grasso is playing as well as ever. Has a good shot at 100 career points and being next season's captain.

Compared to the UMA weekend, the Whitt atmosphere is blah. The UConn weekend still disappoints. We squandered our games in hand advantage. It (((seemed))) we had turned a corner. UVM is absofreakinglutely wretched. The next three game weekends (((should))) be fun? Of course I am rooting for the 'cats as hard as ever, but have started watching UML in the standings. Plan B for extending the local in person NCAA Division One hockey viewing season.

What up with Gildon chatter? Does anyone seriously think we would be better off with:
                          him having less special teams time?
                          him having less possession time?
                          him having diminished ice time?
                          out him?

I figured he would leave after one year, failing to account for his age, which now gives slight hope he may stay one more year.

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Maybe guys like Gildon and Winnik play at 90-95% at this level, because they don't want to hurt their future chances at the next level? Another 3 year guy (TvR) suffered a horrific injury in his time at UNH, and although he's gone on to great NHL success since, he did leave a year early (and no one blamed him for it) to some degree because of that injury. Things happen.
                          Maybe if they played all out all the time teammates would be unable to keep up, be less involved and less effective? Maybe if they played all out all the time they'd be unable to log the minutes that apparently the coaches deem them worthy of?
                          Last edited by Darius; 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Wasn't really trying to compare Wyse and Maass to Max per se...we will miss Anthony next year and couple that with Max leaving (I'd be shocked if he stayed but hoping he does!) filling that void will be tough. Of course Ryan V and Mac along with Kaille are showing great strides on the blue line.

Wow..imagine a team full of Bobby Orr's work ethic...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              45 or so seasons = Rod Langway!

55 or so seasons = Brad Houston. :-)
                              Can't speak to Houston, Snives … but Langway's style was completely different to Orr's. Like comparing (really great) apples to (really great) oranges. On the other hand, Gildon plays a very similar style game to Orr. Not as dominant, and at a lower level, but heavy emphasis on puck carrying, speed through the neutral zone, and showing up in unusual places in the attacking zone. Plus a sneaky fast/heavy shot - not as accurate - but the similarities (at least to me) are there.

Gildon scored more goals in his first two years at UNH than Langway did, and as you and other long-timers will recall, the D-1 game back then was way more wide open than the one we see these days. Again - not a shot at Langway, who I still consider the greatest player in the program's history - or trying to create unrealistic expectations or comparisons for Gildon. Just a style of play, and whether it increases expectations on him from some on here (while confessing it's probably colored my thinking to some degree). I want to see how the story ends … but if he left tomorrow, I'd still hold Gildon in higher esteem than I do JvR.

JMHO.

Comment

I did not post my thoughts about the UConn weekend earlier because I did not want to be too negative, but I am going to share my main thoughts about it now. I will get to Gildon later.

My main thoughts on the UConn games:
                                1. The whole team was not prepared to play. I think the team under rated them and thought they could just show up and win.
                                2. The goaltending was no where close to the goaltending level of the previous weekend.
                                3. The team did not execute their defensive responsibilities very well. There were two goals against UNH on the Friday night game where two of our players went to check their player with the puck. The second goal against on the Friday night two of our forwards went out to the same point man. The third goal against was a pass below the goal line to a wide open player in the mid-slot, etc.
                                4. The team seemed slow transitioning from defense to offense and from offensive to defense.
                                5. The UConn team is considerably bigger than UNH forwards. They were beating us to the puck and winning the vast majority of the puck battles. UNH does not match up well with the bigger, more physical opponents (UConn and Maine). I am sure Dan could do the statistics on the size of our average forward versus the size of the average UConn player!

Comment

Working...
                                X