X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    When UNH got off to a hot start, the special teams played a significant role. In their past nine games (dating back to the start of the Maine series) they're 3-6-0, with a 10.0% Power-Play and a 70.2% Penalty Kill...
    THAT is a definite cause for concern.

Wonder how much of that coincides with Pierson's injury?
    UNH

Comment

Not surprised by today's outcome...more concerned that we're down yet another key forward at the start of second half of the season.
      UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        When UNH got off to a hot start, the special teams played a significant role. In their past nine games (dating back to the start of the Maine series) they're 3-6-0, with a 10.0% Power-Play and a 70.2% Penalty Kill...
        Well that was certainly evident tonight...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Not surprised by today's outcome...more concerned that we're down yet another key forward at the start of second half of the season.
          With any luck we get JP back soon maybe even sooner given tonight's injury but wouldn't count on that. Next man up 'Cats!!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• One final comment from me about this game; they took care of their goalie and we did not.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              I am with Chuck at 4 points, but I think that our nemesis will be the U.S. Army on their standard narrow sheet. It has been a while since the AHC has had an earned NCAA spot and it could be the Cadets this season.
              Had to go back a few pages to find this one, but looks like I was right; Army is a good team, although Bentley has beat them two of three so far this season. Army now 18th in PWR, so beating UNH did not help them much. Bring on the EZAC cupcakes Vlae and Brown!

But, back to the game tonight, which I did not pay to watch. The difference appears to have been two Army PPGs. But, I thought that we had the best player on the ice to anchor our PK? Oh, wait ...... now I see the problem. But, I am a positive person, so maybe our best player will return to Durham for his senior season, you know, for a little more seasoning on our wide sheet?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                One final comment from me about this game; they took care of their goalie and we did not.
                Maybe … and maybe our goalies aren't playing that well right now? Neither Robinson (.899) nor Taylor (.877) is maintaining even a .900 save percentage this season as I write this. Not good enough, certainly not for the D-1 level. Tirone got crucified by some on here for posting numbers superior to these (his best season was a .924 save percentage, and his worst was at .907).

If Robinson was playing consistently like he was last season (.915) this isn't a discussion, as Taylor has disappointed overall in his year-and-a-half in the program. Ty's gotten credit for 3 wins this season only because the team in front of him played better than he did. But with Robinson slumping … shouldn't Taylor at least get a start in one of next weekend's games? I think so.

And if he (Taylor) spits the bit - as guys like Clark and Robinson typically did during Tirone's up-and-down UNH career - then it's back to Robinson … but with some valuable insight that perhaps another goalie should be higher up on MS7's shopping list than it might currently be?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Maybe … and maybe our goalies aren't playing that well right now? Neither Robinson (.899) nor Taylor (.877) is maintaining even a .900 save percentage this season as I write this. Not good enough, certainly not for the D-1 level. Tirone got crucified by some on here for posting numbers superior to these (his best season was a .924 save percentage, and his worst was at .907).

If Robinson was playing consistently like he was last season (.915) this isn't a discussion, as Taylor has disappointed overall in his year-and-a-half in the program. Ty's gotten credit for 3 wins this season only because the team in front of him played better than he did. But with Robinson slumping … shouldn't Taylor at least get a start in one of next weekend's games? I think so.

And if he (Taylor) spits the bit - as guys like Clark and Robinson typically did during Tirone's up-and-down UNH career - then it's back to Robinson … but with some valuable insight that perhaps another goalie should be higher up on MS7's shopping list than it might currently be?
                  Well those are good points Chuck when you post the numbers (they dont lie) but trust me when I say the D struggled tonight to get out of the zone. We thought Robinson kept it close but others might see it differently.

If I was a betting gal (which I am haha) I'd say depending on this weeks practices Taylor gets one of the games. Like Scott tho I'm concerned about how Souza fills that void with 2 top forwards out of the line up...big opportunities for Griffin and Hermann..or Cippolone?
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Robinson is my guy, but facts are facts. He hasn’t seized the role like he did last year, though I’ll defer to Ref for tonight’s scouting report. Next weekend is a great spot for a Taylor start - early second half, non-conference game - and then they go from there...

I’ve always been a fan of the rotation of no goalie is forcing the coaches hand. Keep everyone involved and everyone sharp until someone emerges...

Four tonight is nice, but the struggle all year has been goal scoring. If they’re down two first-liners for an extended period of time than things get much more difficult even with good goaltending.

The second half schedule - after next weekend - is a bear, too. Things will have to turn around quickly if there is success to be had...
                    Last edited by Dan; 12-29-2019, 09:10 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Well those are good points Chuck when you post the numbers (they dont lie) but trust me when I say the D struggled tonight to get out of the zone. We thought Robinson kept it close but others might see it differently.
                      It's the same D that's been out there all season long. Everyone has a bad night here and there. Sometimes it's collectively the defense, sometimes it's one or two of those guys (think Wyse vs. UMaine), and other times it's the guys playing behind them.

This year's defense is pretty much the same as last year's defense, plus an additional year's worth of experience. They and the goalie(s) were almost unanimously agreed (including by myself) to be a pre-season strength, but for all of the (accurate) talk of a lack of scoring depth, the back end has also underperformed. The defensemen were assessed by pre-season consensus to be the best group UNH has had in recent memory, going back to at least Tirone's frosh half-season. Too often, it hasn't looked that way.

Scary thought … if the team hadn't developed an uncanny knack for scoring late goals and saving points from losing positions, the defensive/goalie shortcomings might be more obvious/pronounced?

Lots of hockey still left to be played, and lots of time to tweak areas of underperformance. I was expecting the usual post-break letdown at some point this weekend and next, but just surprised it turned out to be Army. You score 4 goals, and you should win.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Theee AHC teams now ahead of UNH in PWR. No longer automatic cupcakes in AHC. But, EZAC? We will see next weekend, in which I am counting on 4 points.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Theee AHC teams now ahead of UNH in PWR. No longer automatic cupcakes in AHC. But, EZAC? We will see next weekend, in which I am counting on 4 points.
                          Seriously? Sigh. Well I hope you are right. (About the 4 pts) let me know if you are going to be in town next week!!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Seriously? Sigh. Well I hope you are right. (About the 4 pts) let me know if you are going to be in town next week!!
                            We are talking two of EZAC's yummiest cupcakes, are we not?

We cashed in our tickets for the Mac game in which we got strung on until 8:30 pm for tickets to the Brown and UMass-Flagship Saturday night games. Good for our State U making amends for our inconvenience. Dig it up! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              We are talking two of EZAC's yummiest cupcakes, are we not?

We cashed in our tickets for the Mac game in which we got strung on until 8:30 pm for tickets to the Brown and UMass-Flagship Saturday night games. Good for our State U making amends for our inconvenience. Dig it up! :-)
                              The 'seriously' part was about those teams being ahead of us in PWR....I believe we can, and should, win both games this weekend. If you are hitting Libby's let me know will be there most likely for both nights...Happy New Year 'Cats fans!!!!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The 'seriously' part was about those teams being ahead of us in PWR....I believe we can, and should, win both games this weekend. If you are hitting Libby's let me know will be there most likely for both nights...Happy New Year 'Cats fans!!!!
                                Little off topic but has Libby's been crazy busy before the games? And do they still have the policy that a party cannot be seated until everyone is present? Looking for pregame eats and libation.

Comment

Working...
                                X