This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Fantastic win, and another late winner to top things off, on the road against a ranked opponent.

Who are these guys anyway?!?!?
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

There are a lot of positives with the team this season. The penalty kill is not one of them. The pk is a subpar 73.4% so far. An average hockey team's special team units (power play and penalty kill) are around 100.0% when combined. The UNH men's special teams are (pp- 22.2% and pk- 73.4%) a combined - 95.6%. A top hockey team in any league would like to strive for a special teams score of 105.0% or better. One of the goals against tonight was a couple of seconds after the penalty expired. If my memory is correct, I believe the team has given up 3 or 4 goals within a few seconds after penalties against expired so far this season. If you add these goals against to the penalty kill goals against the team is getting scored on over 30% of the time while shorthanded. Not good!
      Last edited by Ray Dorn; 01-17-2020, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Like Snively65 mentioned earlier all three of Providence's goals came while we were shorthanded. I believe the team could do a significantly better job it. We have the players to do it! All coaches have perceptions of their players. They think they know all of their strengths and weaknesses. But they are not always right. They are human just like the rest of us. People have belief systems, bias, perceptions, evaluations, etc. that are not correct. I noticed the weakness of the penalty kill this season a few weeks back. Lately, when ever I see the UNH advertisement on their Master of Science in Analytics I think of the hockey team. Hockey Analytics is getting big in the NHL. The Analytics program, maybe just a student in the program, should do data analytics on the team's penalty kill. I believe if the penalty kill was analyzed in depth that it would be discovered that the players are being misused this season. Some players are getting too much penalty kill time, other players are not getting enough and maybe the players should be used in different pairings or unit of fours. It would be interesting to know how all of the players are doing on the penalty kill. How often has each penalty killer been scored on per minute of penalty kill time on ice so far this season? This information usually surprises people!

There is an acronym in the Data Science world GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out. What skill sets of forwards and of defensemen contribute to being a good penalty killer?
        Last edited by Ray Dorn; 01-17-2020, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gibber View Post
          Any idea why there was no penalty shot or goal on that play that was reviewed? Great win tonight, possibly best or the season so far?
          As a PC fan, I thought it was clearly a penalty shot...he even motioned for one too. Everyone in my section right behind the net saw him cover the puck in the crease but we wondered if he covered it and then brought it over the goal line. When does the play stop/end? No doubt a Penalty shot though
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
            Like Snively65 mentioned earlier all three of Providence's goals came while we were shorthanded. I believe the team could do a significantly better job it. We have the players to do it! All coaches have perceptions of their players. They think they know all of their strengths and weaknesses. But they are not always right. They are human just like the rest of us. People have belief systems, bias, perceptions, evaluations, etc. that are not correct. I noticed the weakness of the penalty kill this season a few weeks back. Lately, when ever I see the UNH advertisement on their Master of Science in Analytics I think of the hockey team. Hockey Analytics is getting big in the NHL. The Analytics program, maybe just a student in the program, should do data analytics on the team's penalty kill. I believe if the penalty kill was analyzed in depth that it would be discovered that the players are being misused this season. Some players are getting too much penalty kill time, other players are not getting enough and maybe the players should be used in different pairings or unit of fours. It would be interesting to know how all of the players are doing on the penalty kill. How often has each penalty killer been scored on per minute of penalty kill time on ice so far this season? This information usually surprises people!

There is an acronym in the Data Science world GIGO - Garbage In Garbage Out. What skill sets of forwards and of defensemen contribute to being a good penalty killer?
            If your PK stinks, maybe it is time to stop taking so many stupid penalties? Bring back the SMT's! :-)

Comment

First time we’ve been 4 games over .500 in the second half of the season since 2013. We were 3 games over in 2017, then proceeded to go 1-10-3 down the stretch.

Huge game tonight. Gotta finish off Snively’s sweep.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post

Analytics has killed baseball let’s see how it can kill hockey too 🤣😂

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  First time we’ve been 4 games over .500 in the second half of the season since 2013. We were 3 games over in 2017, then proceeded to go 1-10-3 down the stretch.

Huge game tonight. Gotta finish off Snively’s sweep.
                  Let's Go 'Cats!!! Big, big road win for the boys in blue. Going to be a big one in DHam tonight folks; prob the biggest game of the regular season for this team since, well, I don't know when. No question gotta stay our of that box and maximize our chances against Lackey. Crookshank's game winner was just incredible; what a game he had. Prob going with MR tonight in net? The elephant in the room of course is special teams; this has to be the number 1 priority (and I'm sure it is). Still they showed a ton of resilience staving off PC and it would be huge to do it again...Hope the 'Whitt is packed!!!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Meh....Tom Caron did an OK job.
                    Agreed. Quite good, actually, with some balance. Light years better than whoever the dynamic duo of the UNH v Maine game I suffered thru...
                    Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

Comment

I know I haven't been on here much (other than lurking) and this is kind of a tangent that I'm sure had been discussed, but... On what planet do we not get a home game vs Maine? 😂🤦*♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                        I know I haven't been on here much (other than lurking) and this is kind of a tangent that I'm sure had been discussed, but... On what planet do we not get a home game vs Maine? 😂🤦*♂️
                        Hey Gibber well keep coming back!! Anyway the way it was explained to me...HE scheduling yada yada (I'm sure there's more to how it works most likely has to do with the 11 HE teams etc...) and this was on the horizon I guess from awhile back that we would not have a home game with them this season...all the more reason to UNH fans to pack the 'Whitt tonight if ya ask me! Go 'Cats!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Fantastic win, and another late winner to top things off, on the road against a ranked opponent.

Who are these guys anyway?!?!?
                          Who'da thunk it?!?!:-)
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

That NOGOAL/NOCALL was baffling!!
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Fun theoretical thoughts:

1. The past four games UNH is 4-0-0. The first two games they beat bottom-mid feeders in Yale and Brown. Let’s say this is equivalent to UNH beating a BU or Maine in the HE first round to send them to the garden. Then, in the next two games they hypothetically beat NU and PC at the garden to win some hardware and play with the last 16 teams in the NCAAs

2. The past two games UNH has beat two NCAA tournament teams (both ranked 11th in PW at the start of the games I believe) - this lends those teams being likely 3 seeds. Say the cats found a way to get into the tournament. I realize they can’t play back to back 3 seeds in the regionals but hypothetically they just beat two qualified teams to progress to the frozen four. I understand this is a stretch but a positive takeaway nonetheless

I recognize these high quality wins are great momentum, I just hope this team doesn’t get complacent and continues to show up with a chip on the shoulder. Game in and game out they need to play hard and collective - especially entering a third period with a lead. Keep the foot on the gas UNH

Comment

Analytics has killed baseball let’s see how it can kill hockey too 🤣😂
                                ... and there I was, readying for my usual bombastic attack against analytics ...

… then Josh steps in, and in a brief sentence, saves me 15 minutes of productive time. Bravo!!

I think it's still a kind of long-time HE scheduling holdover, Josh. Even with the unbalanced schedule these days that HE alludes to, with some programs playing each other twice, and others three times per season, HE looks to have left their long-standing "Thou shalt not schedule home-and-aways with UMaine nor UVM" policy in place. I checked their schedules for this season, and without exception, all HE weekends in which either UMaine or UVM are playing twice on the same weekend, they're either doing both of those games at home OR both on the road.

We know those two schools are the furthest removed from most of the other programs in Boston-centric HE, and it's probably important to keep in mind that (as with almost everything else concerning HE) there is a Boston mindset baked into the cake when it comes to scheduling. What's so terrible about a home-and-away between the likes of UNH, UMaine and UVM? And if the three hour drive after the game to settle down for the night at the site of the next day's game is onerous (and maybe it is), play the back end of the weekend on Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday night. It's not that complicated, is it?

If you look out to the other end of the league, you can probably craft a similar argument for UVM, UMass and UConn along the Interstate 91 corridor. IIRC, before UConn and UVM were in the league, UMass weekends were treated the same way UMaine and UVM continue to be treated. That got dropped at some point. And probably rightly so. But the league still holds onto some of these other scheduling precepts, and while I get it that a UMaine-UConn (or UMass or PC even) probably makes sense to just do them at a single site … those are NOT geographic or traditional rivalries. UMaine and UNH is.

And it's hard to get the necessary traction to build up (or maintain) those rivalries when home fans don't see that rival team in its home rink for 2 years in-between. Yes, a lot of us have (and many continue) to follow the team on the road, but that's not even close to a majority of fans. But … who's really thinking about this from a fan's standpoint anyway? Certainly not the guy who is playing out the string down by Lake Quannapowitt, and from the looks of it, neither of the AD's in Durham nor Orono have pushed back in the interests of their top revenue-generating sports. Everyone is all kind of "fat and happy" and "What, me worry?" about it. Not a lot of critical thinking involved … except of course when it comes to adding a team to the league from East Chicago IN.

The good news is, there will be a new HE commish next season. The less-encouraging news is that neither of the AD's in question seem in any hurry to pursue the next chapters in their pseudo-stellar administrative careers. So expect more of the same, with our best past rivalry in semi-mothballs, because three guys can't pick up their I-Phones and actually do something positive that makes a ton of sense for the league, both programs, and college hockey fans in general.

I guess the current "legendary" commish's initials arguably stand for "Just Because".
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X