This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
    What happened to your post HockeyRef? You made some decent points? Political talk, banter, trashing or whatever you want to call it is inescapable in a presidential election cycle. There is PLENTY of hockey talk to go around, if people choose to inject politically charged posts, so be it, doesn't offend or bother me. If political name calling gets your blood pressure up, just gloss over and move along. Personally I find Pocahontas, tRump, Sleepy Joe, etc. a bit amusing, but that's just me. As far as hockey goes, I see a 4-3 win tonight in favor of the Cats! Oh and one more thing, I feel UNH should reconsider the Dollar Dog night as some thin-skinned types might find it is a slight to those having more of an affinity to canines. Just imagine if they offered Dollar Kitty night at BU!
    You just answered the reason why I deleted that post
    It would have been viewed as a typical response to getting offended about political talk. Us thin skinned peeps just will keep it to ourselves. But hey I'm glad you thought I made some decent points.

I wish UNH hockey well. I hope they get into the HE tournamet...they deserve it. Thanks for the good times this season.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      You just answered the reason why I deleted that post
      It would have been viewed as a typical response to getting offended about political talk. Us thin skinned peeps just will keep it to ourselves. But hey I'm glad you thought I made some decent points.

I wish UNH hockey well. I hope they get into the HE tournamet...they deserve it. Thanks for the good times this season.
      I thought that it was your best post ever, HR.

Just wrapping things up here at Stoneface Brewington on my way to the Whitt. Beat BU! The Terriors were our biggest nemesis 1970-1972.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        I would vote for the SNHU arena in Manchvegas becoming the annual site for the HEA tourney. Neutral, the place is essentially deserted now, except for deadbeat politicians, and is mathematically more centrally located than da Gahden, which is so old school.
        Except the place would be 2/3 empty. The place didn’t even come close to a sellout in then last years of the infamous Riverstone Cup. Let’s say it’s BC, PC, BU and Lowell. How many show up?

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
          What happened to your post HockeyRef? You made some decent points? Political talk, banter, trashing or whatever you want to call it is inescapable in a presidential election cycle. There is PLENTY of hockey talk to go around, if people choose to inject politically charged posts, so be it, doesn't offend or bother me. If political name calling gets your blood pressure up, just gloss over and move along. Personally I find Pocahontas, tRump, Sleepy Joe, etc. a bit amusing, but that's just me. As far as hockey goes, I see a 4-3 win tonight in favor of the Cats! Oh and one more thing, I feel UNH should reconsider the Dollar Dog night as some thin-skinned types might find it is a slight to those having more of an affinity to canines. Just imagine if they offered Dollar Kitty night at BU!
          Originally posted by e.cat View Post
          I think what you're missing Watcher is that the New Hampshire primary is a BIGLY deal for New Hampshire and it is the first in the nation primary. Since this is a New Hampshire thread it's only logical to assume that it might engender some banter. I happen to be a proponent of free speech. We do have a right to express our views in this country don't we? I get that you and others do not want to hear political views on this forum but I respectfully disagree. People should be free to express their opinions here or anywhere else they choose. That includes people I disagree with. So let's just let people have their say and move on.
          I think that's the part some folks on here are missing … unless you live here, it's hard to explain how big a deal it is when the first-in-the-nation primary rolls around every four years. And if you live here and don't really feel the energy level for a month or so, hey - maybe you're intentionally avoiding it (a valid choice) OR you're a hermit and/or just not paying attention. There are just SO many candidates out and around, for weeks if not months in advance (I've crossed paths with Tulsi's campaign at least 4 times in the last year - no exaggeration), it's harder to avoid it than to even accidentally come into contact with it. For me, it's fun. Some folks in our family share my enthusiasm. Others do not. It's all good. But it's almost inescapable, and if it's something you even find remotely compelling, you can't match it.

Example - this past Monday night, we got into Manchester to see the President's rally. Had to get there two-plus hours ahead of time to get in to see it. Many folks waited a long time in the early evening hours to get in. Bars all over downtown were packed not only by the overflow crowd, but also for events by the other candidates (including my last brush with the Tulsi campaign, in the Rex Theatre across from the lot where we parked, about a quarter mile away from SNHU Arena). Got to see the Presidential motorcade, merch vendors everywhere, and still over a thousand folks outside the arena at the end who apparently watched the President's event on a large video board. MPD was saying that thousands more came but couldn't get in. In short, it was an event, and as crazy as it sounds to some of the folks down in the Boston area, for a night, Manchester NH was THE place to be.

It's kind of sad for me when I read how posters put up their thoughts and opinions, and then felt compelled to take them down, for whatever reason. We're all adults, we do what we want, and we make our choices on what to post, and what to hold back. But the reason most folks feel threatened is the pervasive PC "cancel culture", even if they're scared to death to come out and say it. I'm too old (and probably too naive) to care any more, so my default is to post it, and let folks say what they will. I'll live, and if it twerks you, that's your issue - not mine. Sorry.

Back to hockey - UNH beats BU (Beanpot hangover) 4-2 tonight, gets a tie tomorrow night at Agganis. 'Cats still in business, someone else will gack it up, and UNH will make the postseason. Nothing but positive thoughts for MS7 and the boys. GO UNH!!!
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            I think what you're missing Watcher is that the New Hampshire primary is a BIGLY deal for New Hampshire and it is the first in the nation primary. Since this is a New Hampshire thread it's only logical to assume that it might engender some banter. I happen to be a proponent of free speech. We do have a right to express our views in this country don't we? I get that you and others do not want to hear political views on this forum but I respectfully disagree. People should be free to express their opinions here or anywhere else they choose. That includes people I disagree with. So let's just let people have their say and move on.

GO CATS!
            I’ll start off by saying that I graduated from UNH is ‘72. My wife, who I met at UNH, is from North Conway. I have very good friends who live in various corners of the state and I vacation in Moultonboro every July. And there was a fairly significant period in my life when I thought I would retire to the Seacoast but just couldn’t make the move. All that being said, there is really no sane reason why New Hampshire (and Iowa) should be the first in the nation primary. I know all the reasons, people get close to the candidates, those running need to deal with people face to face, all the old retail politics arguments. But the demographics of New Hampshire don’t reflect the demographics of the country. It’s old, it’s rural and it’s white. There are states, relative small ones, where retail politics could still be practiced but have the ethnic and generational diversity that New Hampshire, in fact, all of New England lacks.

Obligatory hockey content. If UNH is going to split this weekend, it better be tonight. BU may have lost the Beanpot in double OT to NU, but they dominated all but the second period. Better beat their average goalies early.

Comment

In doing my laps around the concourse pre-game tonight, I noticed that Ty Conklin (not to be confused with Ty Rone) has his name on a media table far side of media booths. And speaking of All-American UNH goalies, over the years on our threads, only Greg has been able to answer this one question: what did Robbie Ftorek say to his goalie Cap Raeder, while poking Cap in the chest, after their Needham High team fell behind 4-2 with less than three minutes to play in the Mass School Boy championship game in 1970?
              Last edited by Snively65; 02-14-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                I think that's the part some folks on here are missing … unless you live here, it's hard to explain how big a deal it is when the first-in-the-nation primary rolls around every four years. And if you live here and don't really feel the energy level for a month or so, hey - maybe you're intentionally avoiding it (a valid choice) OR you're a hermit and/or just not paying attention. There are just SO many candidates out and around, for weeks if not months in advance (I've crossed paths with Tulsi's campaign at least 4 times in the last year - no exaggeration), it's harder to avoid it than to even accidentally come into contact with it. For me, it's fun. Some folks in our family share my enthusiasm. Others do not. It's all good. But it's almost inescapable, and if it's something you even find remotely compelling, you can't match it.

Example - this past Monday night, we got into Manchester to see the President's rally. Had to get there two-plus hours ahead of time to get in to see it. Many folks waited a long time in the early evening hours to get in. Bars all over downtown were packed not only by the overflow crowd, but also for events by the other candidates (including my last brush with the Tulsi campaign, in the Rex Theatre across from the lot where we parked, about a quarter mile away from SNHU Arena). Got to see the Presidential motorcade, merch vendors everywhere, and still over a thousand folks outside the arena at the end who apparently watched the President's event on a large video board. MPD was saying that thousands more came but couldn't get in. In short, it was an event, and as crazy as it sounds to some of the folks down in the Boston area, for a night, Manchester NH was THE place to be.

It's kind of sad for me when I read how posters put up their thoughts and opinions, and then felt compelled to take them down, for whatever reason. We're all adults, we do what we want, and we make our choices on what to post, and what to hold back. But the reason most folks feel threatened is the pervasive PC "cancel culture", even if they're scared to death to come out and say it. I'm too old (and probably too naive) to care any more, so my default is to post it, and let folks say what they will. I'll live, and if it twerks you, that's your issue - not mine. Sorry.

Back to hockey - UNH beats BU (Beanpot hangover) 4-2 tonight, gets a tie tomorrow night at Agganis. 'Cats still in business, someone else will gack it up, and UNH will make the postseason. Nothing but positive thoughts for MS7 and the boys. GO UNH!!!
                For the record I am NOT afraid to say what I think...
                and I regret taking down that post. Too late now. If we are all adults here then you dont need to whine when being confronted...Take it like an adult and dont tell others to lighten up...
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Has the PA system at The Whitt gotten worse or has it always been this bad?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Has the PA system at The Whitt gotten worse or has it always been this bad?
                    Sounds fine to me; are you in house or watching on NESN+?

Comment

Will Dan bite my head off if I note that the third BU goal was a set up by an end zone giveaway by Gildon? That’s two games in a row.

Now 4-1. UNH just can’t compete at this level if they get behind and are going to the kind of mistakes they are making tonight.
                      Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 02-14-2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Two UNH PP opportunities dreadful tonight with 0 SOG. I agree with the PP assessment a couple pages back, too predictable, no skate movement, as if their skates cemented in concrete. Contrast BU PP with more motion and immediate and continuous SOG bombardment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Sounds fine to me; are you in house or watching on NESN+?
                          I’m here. You could not hear the guy in the first intermission when they honored the sled hockey guy. Maybe it’s the corner I’m sitting in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

William Loeb is rolling over in his grave and I think he just blew out his old black and white television set with a shotgun blast!:-):-)

Not looking too good for the not so SMTs right now.
                            Last edited by e.cat; 02-14-2020, 08:02 PM.
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              I’m here. You could not hear the guy in the first intermission when they honored the sled hockey guy. Maybe it’s the corner I’m sitting in?
                              You sitting with our UNH Super Fans?

Comment

You have just opened Pandora's box. He's a talented offensive defensemen who is only 20 and if you mention what you did future recruits may not come to UNH. It has nothing to do with failing to compete, just this board.

With that aside pretty sure this was not the effort the team had in mind. I need to watch the replay of Verrier getting dumped in the corner (did not look clean) and also the 5 minute major. I think the biggest hits of the night were Robinson hitting guys with his stick while he was screened on the first to goals (penalty kill = brutal). Do the D not know you can push the guy and not let him sit alone in front?

Any the Wyse per game penalty came at a great time, 15 seconds or so into a major. Undisciplined.

That could be the word of the game. While VSS only had the one mistake this team played like 20 of them tonight.

The stat I think I saw on NESN is 0-8-2 in the last 10 against BU. A team that just lost in 2OT (well kind of) on Monday to get pounded is just awful

Comment

Working...
                                X