X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    RECALCULATING!

We are currently 9-10-1 in Hockey East and 15-13-2 overall.

With 4 games left, 2 UML and BC, 20 wins in the RS is impossible! I'm thinking we split with UML and lose both to BC to go 16-16-2 overall 10-13-1 in Hockey East.

UNH has 19 points right now and could finish as high as 23 points in the standings. I'm thinking we finish with 21 points going 1-3-0 through this stretch. The 8 spot in the standings is now highly improbable!
    Someone I know is keeping track as well (and thanks for this post e!) Gotta have points this weekend, and, we are ALL BC fans for the game on Thursday and a BU sweep this weekend. Coach Souza sounded despondent in his presser; we played well I thought last night but as he said, can't win without scoring and BU did what they had to do. Thought Robinson had a great game. Don't forget we played this game without Charlie and the Angus ejection (which Souza agreed with) didn't help. I liked the presence of Lucas Herrman...I think a lot of guys stepped up despite the outcome. Stayed out of the box (I think this was the first game in many that our capt. did not get a penalty and for the most part, officials let them play).

Not counting our 'Cats out yet! Let's go!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      RECALCULATING!

We are currently 9-10-1 in Hockey East and 15-13-2 overall.

With 4 games left, 2 UML and BC, 20 wins in the RS is impossible! I'm thinking we split with UML and lose both to BC to go 16-16-2 overall 10-13-1 in Hockey East.

UNH has 19 points right now and could finish as high as 27 points in the standings. I'm thinking we finish with 21 points going 1-3-0 through this stretch. The 8 spot in the standings is now highly improbable!
      FYP. Unfortunately, I think 21 is their ceiling so I’m on board with your final standing. 😕
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
        FYP. Unfortunately, I think 21 is their ceiling so I’m on board with your final standing. 😕
        Sigh...well, what can you say. Going to be a long off season to think about what could have been, should have been, etc. Guess I'll get my head more around it. Not a baseball fan. Bruins, let's do it! Not sure about the history, but, asked about the last time UNH had been shut out of the playoffs...I think I have the answer, but, in true Snively65 style, who knows the answer?
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
          FYP-2=TYP now;-)
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Someone I know is keeping track as well (and thanks for this post e!) Gotta have points this weekend, and, we are ALL BC fans for the game on Thursday and a BU sweep this weekend. Coach Souza sounded despondent in his presser; we played well I thought last night but as he said, can't win without scoring and BU did what they had to do. Thought Robinson had a great game. Don't forget we played this game without Charlie and the Angus ejection (which Souza agreed with) didn't help. I liked the presence of Lucas Herrman...I think a lot of guys stepped up despite the outcome. Stayed out of the box (I think this was the first game in many that our capt. did not get a penalty and for the most part, officials let them play).

Not counting our 'Cats out yet! Let's go!!
            Yes it's going to be a long off season Ref. This was a weird year in Hockey East and the standings reflect that!

Comment

FYP-2=TYP now;-)
              HR doesn't get this post (whoosh) What's TYP??? Just plain bummed out this morning...
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                HR doesn't get this post (whoosh) What's TYP??? Just plain bummed out this morning...
                Five Year Plan/FYP minus two years into Souza's tenor equals Three Year Plan/TYP.

Comment

Five Year Plan/FYP minus two years into Souza's tenor equals Three Year Plan/TYP.
                  Oh...gotcha. Thanks. Like you said, a weird year in HE. Personally I'm not pointing any fingers would like to think it was 'one of those anomalies' that you rarely see/experience. If it turns out that the 'Cats do not make it (which seems likely) I guess all you can do is look ahead, plan for the future. The guys coming back will have this to spur them on. It's not post mortem yet so I will stop at this point. I still have games to attend!

Still, this reminds me of this instance in one of my fav movies 'Field of Dreams' where Doc Graham is reflecting on his one big moment in the big leagues...he didn't realize that it was THAT DAY and only THAT DAY he would experience his dream. There would be other days, of course, but that day brushed by like a 'stranger in a crowd'. Life is like that....at the time, we do not realize the long term impact of short term situations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

Is there enough magic in the moonlight???
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

It's got to be killing Chuck that Luce will be playing with a decent chance of winning the first round, despite having no home arena, while the Wildcats go home.

U.Conn has five of its top 6 scorers as freshmen or sophomores, while working in 4 Freshmen defensemen. It has three first or second round picks on the roster.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-16-2020, 09:48 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      It's got to be killing Chuck that Luce will be playing with a decent chance of winning the first round, despite having no home arena, while the Wildcats go home.

U.Conn has five of its top 6 scorers as freshmen or sophomores, while working in 4 Freshmen defensemen. It has three first or second round picks on the roster.
                      I saw UConn play on a few occasions this season; twice with us and then, here and there. Watched them last night when our game was over in their Maine game. They are not a team I'd take lightly, especially now. We brought zilch to that weekend; if we looked past them, shame on us. If other teams do, shame on them. They have decent goal tending, big guys who get to the puck and make things happen. I sure wouldn't want to play them in the first round....Obviously...he gets the groceries and they do well enough to be relevant....
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        Pregame, Souza said the Refs actually saved UNH from a second 5 minute penalty (was he referring to the Wyse hit?) so no complaints by him.
                        Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Serious question here: is MS7 trying to lead his team through a fiercely competitive field into the fringes of the HEA playoffs, or is he stumping for the HEA Officials' Benevolent Association's "Hip-Hip-Hurrah, May I Have Another, What a Swell Understanding Guy" award?

I mean … can any of you imagine Jack Parker - heck, Dick Umile - slumping all hangdog in to a pre-game or post-game presser, lamenting about how the refs not only nailed it on the two majors they called against your guys, but complimenting them on not calling a 3rd, and not saying a GD word about Verrier getting mugged, or the slew-foot incident last night?!?

If that happens up in Orono ME to Walshy and his boys circa 1991, match officials' car tires would be mysteriously slashed for their long ride back to Everett civilization. Or worse …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1_tdnZq1A

Instead, we get the despondent, beaten, self-pitying "we didn't deserve it" after last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idP5-vtkhBE

Man up, MS7. Sure, Friday night was a poor showing, BU wanted it more, your guys weren't ready, and that's on YOU and on them as well. But by all indications, your guys were ready and up for it last night, grabbed an early lead, got sandbagged by the one you insisted the refs "owed" you from being swell understanding nice guys to Wyse the night before, costing you your most dangerous attacking player (and the equalizer), then took away a go-ahead goal, saw you fall behind shortly after, and then predictably swallowed their whistles when it was convenient for them (and inconvenient for you and your team) to do so.

Even if in your heart of hearts you think the refs got mostly everything right, you've got to be the leader, and you've got to let the players know you have their backs. It's not "clever" to figure you're amassing referee "brownie points" by going nice when (right or wrong) their calls have contributed to you losing the most important game of the season. Look at what happened to BU after Monday night. EVERYONE in the building - including the same officiating crew, both nights - had heard all week about just how hard-done-by BU was with the call in double OT. So guess what - things "evened up" a little bit for BU this weekend.

Unfortunately, it came at the expense of your team and your program numb-nuts. So you go out and blow a gasket, and maybe - just maybe - some of that comes back to you next weekend against Lowell? Instead, it's another "well, my guys played better, but not good enough, and BTW yeah, they deservedly got Angus. No, I don't remember no slew-foot?!?"

Say what you will about Coach Umile, but he never would have thrown any of his guys (including Wyse) under the bus, and he ****ed sure would never have let the officials off the hook. Then it would be set up for an "us against the world" thing for the next two weekends - and I think we all agree 5-6 points out of 8 is the minimum required - and you'd like to think you'd have your guys breathing fire next weekend - which they're most assuredly going to need.

Back before Walshy was Walshy, and Grant was drawing in the more talented classes that got them over the top, Walshy was the master motivator, and he gradually brought his program up to the level where they could realistically start to chase top talent to get them to come to Orono to do something special. MS7 has gotten his program out of the competitive ditch his predecessor had left it in, yes, but as folks like 'Watcher and others have pointed out, it's not there where you can point to top-half of HEA finishes or regular trips to the Garden yet to top-end recruits. So, unless you're incredibly good at coaching players up, then you've got to scratch and claw for every last bit you can get out of your current guys, and grow incrementally through getting improved recruits, continue to coach them up, repeat, etc. etc. etc.

BU is a more talented program than UNH right now, FACT. BU won deservedly and easily on Friday night. UNH had a shot to win last night. UNH needed that win - or at least a tie - and it should have looked that way and felt that way. And it didn't.

If I'm grading MS7 on this past weekend, he gets a straight D. It's only not an F, since his guys showed up and competed hard last night after a disheartening loss on Friday. To be clear, I like MS7 and I want him to do well. But this weekend was proof to me that there is still a long way to go, and in answering the question at the top of this thread, right now, UNH is treading water.

JMHO.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                        X