X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Has the PA system at The Whitt gotten worse or has it always been this bad?
    It is in desperate need of replacement. The scorekeeper is usually clear enough, but I struggle to make out anything said on secondary microphones. Per the website it was last updated in 2010 to the tune of $40,000.
    I'm by no means an expert, but one would think that ideally a new sound system would have speakers over the seating bowl as opposed to over center ice.
    Last edited by ClOuD 9; 02-15-2020, 01:25 PM.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      Okay i saw some positive play last night. Stop the stupid and untimely penalties! I am willing to say UNH 3 Bu2. And a shout out to Liam who is so much fun to watch 1 on 1 in the dirty spots with these big palukas, drives them crazy.
      There most definitely were positives esp in the first period early on but ohhhh those penalties as we know! Love your vibes will be pulling for them from home! Love to see Li get some points tonight! Go 'Cats!!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Maybe its because I now have two kids at that age and know a couple of college players, including one who scored on UNH last nite, and one heading to Providence next year (and also in other sports), but I have less interest in bashing their lack of skills. To me, the UNH talent is a sympton of a failure by the top guy (Marty) for whom I've shovled lots of criticism, secondarily to MS7, who bears a great deal of responsibility for the current situation, albeit because he was put in over his head by Marty, and at least could grow into the job (we'll see), and of course, the guys supposed to bring in the groceries who have done a sub par job at this for a while.

Complaining about the groceries themselves seems pointless, and to the pont of Greg's comments, a bit unfair. Gildon sacrified to come to UNH to buy into a rebuilding vision. Turns out he was one of the few to take that plunge (see comments below), and his game is suffering from the lack of complementary skilled players able to finish his plays. As a result, he does too much, and gets more minuses.

If we want to critiise, but without inside info, I'm curious why UNH is unable to land players on whom they have an inside track. See Gildon's brother, Mike, Ty Taylor's brother, Trey, Stewart's teammate's kid, Scott Morrow, BVR. That's a lot of voting with feet. Let's see how UNH does with John Evans.

Of course, the beauty of sports is that everything we fans "know" can be proven wrong (I hate the Bruins' team building, and keep awaiting their fall, but seems my "knowledge" is just wrong). If MS7 gets a BC pipeline from Ardanaz with some buy-in by Evans, and that leads to Y, that leads to Z, then Marty will have been shown to be right. But if MS7 continues to pursue the Lou Finnaoccio comfortable recruiting network (Austin Prep/Malden Catholic guys) or the Boston Advantage/South Shore guys, we'll end up with a lot of bottom 6 wingers.
        “Bashing” is a word that does not apply to what I said. “Bashing” to me would be criticizing a player for personal habits, a crummy work ethic, mouthing off to officials, not paying attention to his studies, all things that I have never assigned to Gildon. If I say that I am disappointed that he is still making the same errors in judgment that he did two years ago, a reasonable proposition, and couch it by saying the reason I am disappointed is because he has tremendous skills, I won’t concede that is bashing. IMO it is a reasoned criticism. You can disagree with my take on the player, but don’t assign a loaded perjorative to what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          “Bashing” is a word that does not apply to what I said. “Bashing” to me would be criticizing a player for personal habits, a crummy work ethic, mouthing off to officials, not paying attention to his studies, all things that I have never assigned to Gildon. If I say that I am disappointed that he is still making the same errors in judgment that he did two years ago, a reasonable proposition, and couch it by saying the reason I am disappointed is because he has tremendous skills, I won’t concede that is bashing. IMO it is a reasoned criticism. You can disagree with my take on the player, but don’t assign a loaded perjorative to what I said.
          Fair enough
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Blackburn!!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

If UNH, PC, and NU win and Yukon and Maine tie tonight, six teams will be tied for fourth (or ninth?) with 21 HEA points. :-)

Comment

OMG...Deja Vu....
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

What is AC's major penalty?
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

From the sounds of it, a Mark Messier elbow defending from a late check. Of course, if the puck carrier has time to get his elbow up, I'd bet the "finishing the check" winger was making a late hit/interference.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-15-2020, 06:58 PM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

BU would never hit a player late.... said nobody EVER
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

How exactly does UNH and BU end up with Shea two nights in a row?

I don't think that UNH lost last night because of the refs... HOWEVER the refs were just bad and you get one of those two geniuses again.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

I don't think that UNH lost last night because of the refs... HOWEVER the refs were just bad and you get one of those two geniuses again.
                          That's the million dollar question....
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Apparently HEA HQ was pleased with their work last night … asking for more of the same tonight?
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Got some pre-game video from Agganis Arena tonight, showing the HEA Commish accompanied by the former BU Hockey head coach, sending subliminal pre-game instructions to Head Official Shea ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUjjzwIrebQ
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Apparently HEA HQ was pleased with their work last night … asking for more of the same tonight?
                                Pregame, Souza said the Refs actually saved UNH from a second 5 minute penalty (was he referring to the Wyse hit?) so no complaints by him.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X