X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    At a FOH meeting during Souzas first year he said something to the effect that he wouldn't be doing any of that once the game started...that the players would know their assignments and it was up to them to execute. agree this team has given us plenty to be excited about...but boy gotta get over that hump.
    I get that point … but wow, that sounds a little too close for comfort to his predecessor's approach (for me anyway). These are still college-age kids, not established pros. And you see a steady stream of dialogue in the NHL between assistant coaches and players between shifts. I don't think you have to have information overload, and I understand that constant yapping can lead to some "tuning out" and possibly even mixed messages. But if you see something that's not right - or even if you see something right that you want to reinforce throughout the team - a TV timeout gives you a brief gift to say/do something. Why not use it?

Anyone who wants to take a quick trip down "Memory Lane" … I always go back to Buffalo in April 2003 when UNH was tied 1-1 with defending national champs Minnesota midway into the 3rd period, when suddenly guys like Vanek and Tallackson took over the game by force. Vanek rounded a very-overmatched Mick Mounsey first for the go-ahead goal, then Waibel wandered alone into the slot area a few minutes later for 3-1, and finally Tallackson was left unchecked at the far post for 4-1. UNH goalie Mike Ayers went ballistic, having played a tremendous game up to that point (2003 FF highlights linked below), but was hung out to dry on all 3 of those goals. He had to have been frustrated by Coach Umile's refusal to take a time out and regroup the team, if not after Vanek's goal, then certainly after the 3rd goal anyway, when the game was arguably still within UNH's reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja7Ni6JJddQ

In-game coaching is a "thing". It might not be to the level it is in other sports (especially hoops and football), and it's more like in soccer, where there is an established flow and limited stoppage opportunities, so there's no doubt a hockey coach has to trust his guys (or gals) a little bit more to manage themselves out there. But with line changes (unlimited substitutions) you do have a chance to adjust on the fly explicitly through evolving instructions from behind the bench. To willingly ignore that is (frankly) nuts, and I'm sure MS7 understands that.

If we want someone to stand there, fold his arms, and whistle for line changes, then we already had that guy. He did pretty well, but we want this guy to go him one better. JMHO.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

D coverage....
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

....doesn't look too good.

Comment

• Oh My......
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

no shortage of chances

Comment

Two goals with seconds to go....
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

12 goals and counting. Impressive effort....
                GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                  12 goals and counting. Impressive effort....
                  Terrible
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Vermont is licking their lips!
                    GO BLUE!

Comment

Make that 13....
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Luce does it again folks...
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Make that 14 HR out....
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Pay no attention to the Poles. PWR rules now. :-)

I predicted sweeps the past two weekends, and will do so again against Luce's Yukon. And, a sweep this weekend means that I lose the pre-season over/under 14.5 wins contest. I would be ok with that. :-)
                            I really would have been ok with losing the 14.5 W's over/under contest, and maybe I will still lose it, I hope.

Comment

Most ****ing stat of the season in my opinion, 1-5-1 against UConn, Maine, and Merrimack. For all the good things this team has done they are undoing it by giving all kinds of points to the teams they are directly competing for in the standings.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                                Most ****ing stat of the season in my opinion, 1-5-1 against UConn, Maine, and Merrimack. For all the good things this team has done they are undoing it by giving all kinds of points to the teams they are directly competing for in the standings.
                                Last season UNH was all but winless against teams above them in the PWR, while essentially flawless against teams below them. This season they have some very nice wins, but a lot of awful losses. Bentley and Army in addition to those you mention...

Good teams are consistent teams. That’s what differentiates a group from middle of the pack to above average. UNH proved, in one dreadful weekend, they’re still a middle of the pack team with a ways to go. That was as bad a result as one could have imagined...

At large bids and home ice opportunities take a massive hit, if not out the window...

PWR down 14 to 24, pending further results.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X