This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Okay S65 I guess you got me on my fence sitting. I'll will use this repreve to case a vote for 3.... but still fear 2.
    Ok, you are in the contest, ATW. By 3 points, assuming that you are expecting 1 win and 1 tie, or 3 ties. You are even more pessimistic than I am. :-)

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      And, the NESN UNH hockey player of the decade in their Hockey East review is ......,...

Tyler Kelleher!

I cannot argue against that selection.
      Agreed … however, the fact there was very little (legit) competition for the honor speaks volumes about where the UNH program has been during the last decade. The guy who's leading the blueliners these last few seasons may have a legitimate argument at being #2 on that overall list. Good-but-not-great guys like Goumas and DeSmith are probably in the Top 5. Again, not to throw shade at any of these guys for what they did at UNH … but this list pales in comparison to similar lists from the two preceding decades, and may only be on par with a similar list from the '80's, which at least got off to a decent start before heading decidedly downhill. Thoughts?
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Merry Christmas
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Merry Christmas
          Thanks, mookie. Many here are hoping that Santa left a certificate for three W's in the next three OOC games in our Souzacat Christmas stockings, and I will be happy with two W's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Agreed … however, the fact there was very little (legit) competition for the honor speaks volumes about where the UNH program has been during the last decade. The guy who's leading the blueliners these last few seasons may have a legitimate argument at being #2 on that overall list. Good-but-not-great guys like Goumas and DeSmith are probably in the Top 5. Again, not to throw shade at any of these guys for what they did at UNH … but this list pales in comparison to similar lists from the two preceding decades, and may only be on par with a similar list from the '80's, which at least got off to a decent start before heading decidedly downhill. Thoughts?
            TyK was great, but he might not crack top 10 in the aughts.
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Bruins history: what happened 40 years ago tonight, that is 23 December 1979?
              Well? Don’t make me Google

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                You were right!!! Merry Christmas!!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  As Oscar Wilde wrote in his anti-mimesis essay in 1889, "Life imitates art far more than art imitates life." Hint: The movie "Slap Shot" came out two years earlier in February 1977.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    You were right!!! Merry Christmas!!!
                    Well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Truth be told, this would have been my go-to answer irrespective of date.

Comment

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/re...w-Hampshire/38

Food for thought!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        The number that literally jumps off the page is Rod Langway's career +276.

When all's said and done, I'll predict Brett Pesce will pass Langway at the top of the Games Played list.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Tyler Kelleher is the player of the decade? Well I’ll guess it is the first time since the sixties since the player of the decade (if they even had such awards back then) was never named and All American. Who was it in the aughts? Plenty of worthy candidates (Haydar, Hemingway, Conklin, JVR to name just a few). In the nineties? Krog, Mowers, Bogey. Eighties? Brickley would be my choice, maybe Steve Leach. And the seventies? Clark, Miller, C. Cox, Hislop, Miller, R. Cox, Gould. Before that? I’ll defer to Snively. We are going backwards, aren’t we?

As for whoever used the term “garbage science,” this is what it has come to now? You don’t agree with the findings of the 90% of the climate scientists on one side of this issue so you use the lame “both sides” argument and say it is “garbage.” Okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Tyler Kelleher is the player of the decade? Well I’ll guess it is the first time since the sixties since the player of the decade (if they even had such awards back then) was never named and All American. Who was it in the aughts?
                            While your general point remains regarding the depth of competition for player of the decade, Kelleher was an All-American as a senior (second-team) and Id continue to argue he was among the (and perhaps the) best offensive players in the sport that season. His production - and his amazing percentage of team production - was off the charts in spite of very little help...

That said, the only reason TK was the POD is because he played four years to Poturalski’s two. AP was the better player AND a first-team All-American following his sophomore year.

Both players are elite UNH talents in ANY era. UNH has had some nice talent recently - just nothing like the depth they’ve had in the past and never nearly enough at any one time to support any team success...
                            Last edited by Dan; 12-26-2019, 01:17 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              While your general point remains regarding the depth of competition for player of the decade, Kelleher was an All-American as a senior (second-team) and Id continue to argue he was among the (and perhaps the) best offensive players in the sport that season. His production - and his amazing percentage of team production - was off the charts in spite of very little help...

That said, the only reason TK was the POD is because he played four years to Poturalski’s two. AP was the better player AND a first-team All-American following his sophomore year.

Both players are elite UNH talents in ANY era. UNH has had some nice talent recently - just nothing like the depth they’ve had in the past and never nearly enough at any one time to support any team success...
                              ...wasn't AP an All American as well??? Please excuse my LOK on this stuff, but, when I look at those pics in the lobby of other All Americans...why aren't they up there? Again, excuse the lack of knowledge on the subject I have always wondered...and right on to all you said here Dan...(just imagine a team where players like TyK being paired up with guys like AP AND guys like Warren Foegele...oh, wait, that did happen....).

In my short time here have sometimes felt that TyK was always being measured against the past UNH greats, which, is understandable, I guess. But, make no mistake, TyK is one of those UNH hockey greats! Look at his senior year totals!!! Hasn't been a player since to even come close...but I imagine he's out there.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-26-2019, 08:28 PM.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                The number that literally jumps off the page is Rod Langway's career +276.

When all's said and done, I'll predict Brett Pesce will pass Langway at the top of the Games Played list.
                                Yup the +276 is impressive and agree about Brett Pesce.
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X