This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    Just a couple of observations. First, Gildon is a physically gifted player but it disappoints me no end that, in his third year at UNH,,he is still taking shifts off and, worse, making the wrong play on the PP. Second point. I know Mr. Jeteye and would not doubt his linguistic skills. Third, I am glad someone mentioned Brett Ritchie. Whatever Don Sweeney chose to pay him was way too much. As for UNH’s fortunes down the stretch, they have five two game sets left. Three against the iron- UMass, BU, Lowell - and two against the bottom feeders - a home & home with UConn and two home games vs. UVM. Can we realistically expect a 5-5 or even 6-4 record in those games? I’d like to think so, take the four against the teams below us and steal a couple of home games against, I don’t know, maybe Lowell and BU. Tell me if that is too much to ask.
    Whadabout two-game sets with BC and PC?

Comment

• Re: UNH Hockey: Treading Water or Trending Upward

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Whadabout two-game sets with BC and PC?
      Greg is living life a couple of weeks ahead of the rest of us, Snives. Always has been.

Works great with sports gambling and playing the lottery.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Greg is living life a couple of weeks ahead of the rest of us, Snives. Always has been.

Works great with sports gambling and playing the lottery.
        Thoughts on the passing of Neil Peart? I expected some discussion here with you and Watcher being well-known Rush junkies.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

A great loss, too early (he already had loss from his daughter and wife dying in the 90s). He was the glue to the band -- don't know much about drumming, but his lyrics and thoughtfulness gave Rush its gravitas. I learned my Plato from Peart

Apropos for UNH

And the men who hold high places
          Must be the ones who start
          To mold a new reality
          Closer to the heart
          Closer to the heart
          The blacksmith and the artist
          Reflect it in their art
          They forge their creativity
          Closer to the heart
          Yes closer to the heart
          Philosophers and plowmen
          Each must know his part
          To sow a new mentality
          Closer to the heart

Corresponding to these three elements in human nature there are three classes in the social organism-Philosopher class or the ruling class which is the representative of reason; auxiliaries, a class of warriors and defenders of the country is the representative of spirit; and the appetite instinct of the community which consists of farmers, artisans and are the lowest rung of the ladder. Thus, weaving a web between the human organism and the social organism, Plato asserts that functional specialization demands from every social class to specialize itself in the station of life allotted to it. Justice, therefore to Plato is like a manuscript which exists in two copies, and one of these is larger than the other. It exists both in the individual and the society. But it exists on a larger scale and in more visible form in the society. Individually "justice is a 'human virtue' that makes a man self consistent and good: Socially, justice is a social consciousness that makes a society internally harmonious and good."

Justice is thus a sort of specialization. It is simply the will to fulfill the duties of one's station and not to meddle with the duties of another station, and its habitation is, therefore, in the mind of every citizen who does his duties in his appointed place. It is the original principle, laid down at the foundation of the State, "that one man should practice one thing only and that the thing to which his nature was best adopted". True justice to Plato, therefore, consists in the principle of non-interference. The State has been considered by Plato as a perfect whole in which each individual which is its element, functions not for itself but for the health of the whole. Every element fulfils its appropriate function. Justice in the platonic state would, therefore, be like that harmony of relationship where the Planets are held together in the orderly movement. Plato was convinced that a society which is so organized is fit for survival. Where man are out of their natural places, there the co-ordination of parts is destroyed, the society disintegrates and dissolves. Justice, therefore, is the citizen sense of duties.
          Who knew that putting unthoughtful people in charge would result in injustice
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-13-2020, 09:04 AM.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Thoughts on the passing of Neil Peart? I expected some discussion here with you and Watcher being well-known Rush junkies.
            I think 'Watcher covered Peart's run of family tragedies, and to my thinking, anything we've gotten from Rush since the dawn of the '90's has been somewhat of a bonus. I never really felt their recorded stuff after Moving Pictures ever measured up, with a few isolated exceptions (parts of Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows). And by the time they dug out from chasing some of the '80's trends later on, then stuff started happening to Peart. But the live stuff was always the constant, at least to me. And the recorded stuff between 2112 and Moving Pictures inclusive, all speaks for itself.

They seemed to avoid the infighting that scuttled my all-time faves ELP for long stretches. There always seemed to be a genuine affinity between Lee, Lifeson & Peart, whereas ELP eventually eroded into Emerson and Lake taking turns falling out, and ironically their drummer (Palmer would usually be the one to patch up early differences) eventually tired of it, found other settings where he could enjoy success with less strain, and as a result, it always felt like they were more like amiable business associates. Whereas with Rush, the pressure was from things happening to Peart, and the other two would give him his space to heal, and if/when he was ready to return, they would just be there for him. And just as Zeppelin ended with Bonzo's untimely (so avoidable) passing, I don't think there's any question Rush has closed the book now on their legendary career.

I read the Rolling Stone obit that HR linked earlier with some ambivalence, if only because they (and others in the so-called music press) have taken a revisionist's approach to all things Rush. The stuff the band did in the '70's was routinely savaged by the critics, and only when Peart moved away from the sci-fi and philosophy of the earlier stuff, and wrote more everyday stuff (at least by his high standards) did the mainstream music press start to give them a second look. So I loved it when, after they clearly stopped writing (critic-friendly) new stuff that fell short of the standards of the old stuff, the band was true to its fans, and went back on the road to play that great old stuff in their shows. They never forgot who they were, nor where they came from.

There are so many bits and pieces of Rush that I still love. And although I'm not a "lyrics guy", I've always like The Trees, and it's something that carries an important message in these times of division and so-called "social justice", when the four-letter F-word turns out to be "fair", and not the usual one …

There is unrest in the Forest
            There is trouble with the trees
            For the Maples want more sunlight
            And the Oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the Maples
            (And they’re quite convinced they’re right)
            They say the Oaks are just too lofty
            And they grab up all the light
            But the Oaks can’t help their feelings
            If they like the way they’re made
            And they wonder why the Maples
            Can’t be happy in their shade?

There is trouble in the Forest
            And the creatures all have fled
            As the Maples scream ‘Oppression!’
            And the Oaks, just shake their heads

So the Maples formed a Union
            And demanded equal rights
            ‘The Oaks are just too greedy
            We will make them give us light’
            Now there’s no more Oak oppression
            For they passed a noble law
            And the trees are all kept equal
            By hatchet, axe, and saw…

Comment

Never a Rush fan, but great respect for exceptional drummers, jazz and rock alike. Like Bobby Orr, Neil Peart another example of Canadian Exceptionalism? Thanks for the reflections, watcher and Chuck. I find irony in Peart losing his libertarian Ayn Rand streak in later years and filing a cease and desist order to Rand Paul for using Rush lyrics on his campaign trail.

And, reflecting on rock drummers, Carl Palmer turns 70 on March 20th; will our Cats still be playing on the ice then, or hitting the links.

Comment

Is it weird that one of the first things I thought of when I heard about Neil Peart was USCHO? Probably?

Speaking of series that Dares Not Speak It's Name, the one thing I learned from briefly watching NU/UNH on Saturday is the Goons needs to stay the hell out of overtime.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Never a Rush fan, but great respect for exceptional drummers, jazz and rock alike. Like Bobby Orr, Neil Peart another example of Canadian Exceptionalism?
                  When you look back, it's hard not to argue that the period of the first generation-plus after World War Two was indeed a time of Canadian Exceptionalism, Snives. After gradually emerging out from under English control (I think Newfoundland was the last of Canada to have still been a British-controlled colony), Canada had a huge coming-out party which included the completion of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the late '50's, Bobby Orr and the 1967 first expansion of the NHL (and then the emergence of the WHA, which landed in several future NHL cities first), the World's Fair in the same year in Montreal ("Expo '67"), the arrival of MLB in Montreal ('69) and then Toronto ('76), the Canada Cup events, hosting the Olympics in Montreal in 1976, the race to build landmark towers (the CN Tower beat the tilted "Tour" at Stade Olympique by about a decade) and arguably capped off by the landmark construction of Skydome in Toronto in the early '90's … there was a long run of almost a half-century when Canada dreamed big, and the guys in Rush all grew up surrounded by this era of Canadian optimism and pride.

Cutting in the other direction … I think the Quebec separatist movement put the brakes on some of the idealistic big-thinking of that era, and tilted the country towards Toronto and away from Montreal. And something we sports fans remember, but may even underplay as a bigger event, was the Gretzky-to-LA trade in the late '80's, which in the long run pretty much made the expansion of the current NHL … but came at the cost of Canada's perception of being the home to unrivaled excellence in hockey. At least in the course of my lifetime, it's fair to say Toronto ruled the pre-expansion NHL of the '60's, and Montreal dominated the decade or so after the original expansion, while Edmonton was probably the last true NHL dynasty in the late '80's - with the only break in their five year run ironically coming from neighboring rivals Calgary. In the 30+ years after The Trade, Canada's many teams have combined to win all of one (1) Stanley Cup during that run. Quebec and Winnipeg lost their hockey teams (the 'Peg eventually regained theirs), Vancouver lost its NBA team, and (of course) Les Expos - the first non-NHL entry from Canada - left in 2004.

Sorry for the rant, but I've always been a raging Canada-phile. Safe to say, the twin US & Canadian flags flying outside of the WIS Estate have been at half-staff since last week.

Anyway, here's a link to Peart's obit in the Washington Post, which a pal forwarded, knowing there'd be no other chance of me seeing it. Worth checking out, if you've got the time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...-we-loved-him/
                  Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-13-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

When my college-age uncle found out that I was starting to get serious about drums, he popped a cassette into his “boom box”. A Farewell to Kings on one side, 2112 on the other. I stole that tape from him, and thus began a 40-year infatuation with the instrument, the band, and the Professor. Friday was a hard **** day around my household. Trying (and failing) to match, note-for-note, fill-for-fill, is how I learned to play. I think all drummers thank God for “The Camera Eye”, ensuring we have one song to fall back on after butchering “La Villa Strangiato”. I confessed to my lovely bride how bad the day was for me, and she shared that it must be how she felt when Salinger was gone. Neil was my childhood hero, multiple steps ahead of Larry and Yaz.

Went for a long bike ride Saturday morning, with 3 hours to listen to Rush on shuffle. The song that really socked me in the gut was “Losing It”, from Signals. You can look up the lyrics - you’ll get it.

Just so glad that I went overboard to get tickets to the final tour. It was in Bristow, VA, and Neil got off by a few bars during “Distant Early Warning”. It was shocking (and is out there on YouTube), but of course he recovered and the show was just magical. It included a change in drum kits as they went back in time. He may have felt human to me for the first time in my life. Until last week.
                    Last edited by wildcatdc; 01-13-2020, 07:44 PM.
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Nice mention for us on the front page....

Another program I will give a cap to as they look to return to prominence is New Hampshire. The Wildcats are 8-1 at home after last Saturday’s 5-4 overtime win in Durham against Northeastern. They still need to find a way to get things going on the road, but the magic in Durham seems to have returned, and that’s something very positive for UNH and college hockey.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

If Yukon ties Maine tomorrow night in Bridgeport, UNH will be all alone in ninth place, without MBPBEGAM postseason games. Fortunately, we will still have some games in hand over both those teams, so all is not lost.

Comment

If Yukon ties Maine tomorrow night in Bridgeport, UNH will be all alone in ninth place, without MBPBEGAM postseason games. Fortunately, we will still have some games in hand over both those teams, so all is not lost.
                          A tie arguably would be the best result from a UNH perspective. Temporarily one point behind two mediocre teams (not to say UNH isn't necessarily in that category too), but with an additional game in hand on both. I crunched the numbers on standings over the weekend at HR's direction, and I think UNH already has about 2-3 HE games in hand on both UMaine & Luce Canaan AC before tomorrow's game. And while UNH will need to finish ahead of at least one of them to make the playoffs, they'll want/expect to finish ahead of both (and others?) to maximize their chances of a favorable seeding, and then to get to Boston in mid-March.

Added WIS bonus would be for Luce to get lost in *beautiful* downtown Bridgeport while looking for a post-game haunt. The place makes Lowell look like frickin' Beverly Hills by comparison …

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            When my college-age uncle found out that I was starting to get serious about drums, he popped a cassette into his “boom box”. A Farewell to Kings on one side, 2112 on the other.
                            Not white haired?
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              A tie arguably would be the best result from a UNH perspective. Temporarily one point behind two mediocre teams (not to say UNH isn't necessarily in that category too), but with an additional game in hand on both. I crunched the numbers on standings over the weekend at HR's direction, and I think UNH already has about 2-3 HE games in hand on both UMaine & Luce Canaan AC before tomorrow's game. And while UNH will need to finish ahead of at least one of them to make the playoffs, they'll want/expect to finish ahead of both (and others?) to maximize their chances of a favorable seeding, and then to get to Boston in mid-March.

Added WIS bonus would be for Luce to get lost in *beautiful* downtown Bridgeport while looking for a post-game haunt. The place makes Lowell look like frickin' Beverly Hills by comparison …
                              Would LG have said "I would rather be stabbed in Bridgeport than a black bear in Maine"?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                Not white haired?
                                Nice reference! One day I will have a gleaming alloy air car.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X