X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    And how do you want to address the scheduling issues? No weekday games? More games in January? BU can't get B1G or NCHC teams every season.

NU had the smaller crowd.

Sean
    Yes by about 50 people- Not a fair comparison though as NU students were back in school
    Yes-scheduling needs to be addressed- Two games in January is poor scheduling as is out of conference schedule
    Think the transition between coaches hurt the scheduling- What is AD's role in this process

Two game issues- Initially broke up first line by putting Curry on second line Why? was back by third period
    started overtime with Brink-Quercia- Stevens- virtual non scoring line against admittedly poor team
    Almost cost us as Stevens took quick penalty-
    Thought Wise and DeBoer two underperformers were good on fourth line and had many chances

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      only name mookie can think of is aj greer. anyone else move on to some success?
      Did both Adrian Aucoin and Dan LaCouture play the full year? I recall that Aucoin had a tough year from the start, beginning with an excessive celebration on a goal that cemented like a 10-goal lead. Those are the only ones besides Coyle that come to mind.

John Lilley?

Nick Vachon (one ceremonial game for the NY Islanders)?

I'm sure the number of players who didn't go to class post-December is a much longer list...
      Last edited by SpauldingSmails; 01-09-2020, 02:46 PM.
      "What about my asthma?"
      "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

We actually play 8 games in Jan. 2 at home.

Wouldn’t Hockey East set at least the Hockey East portion of the schedule? (I’m sure there is some conversation with the schools on this), but the away conference games in Jan may be more Hockey East than BU.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          We actually play 8 games in Jan. 2 at home.

Wouldn’t Hockey East set at least the Hockey East portion of the schedule? (I’m sure there is some conversation with the schools on this), but the away conference games in Jan may be more Hockey East than BU.
          The scheduling was about home games, not all games. And as far as I understand it Commissioner Bertagna did indeed do the scheduling for the Hockey East league games, at least in the past. However, once the schools got the schedule they could change the dates of games if both sides approved. The availability of the rink also affects when games can be scheduled.

Here at the home games by month for every Hockey East team this season:
          BC - Oct, 2; Nov, 2; Dec, 1; Jan, 5; Feb, 4, Mar, 1
          BU - Oct, 3; Nov, 5; Dec, 2; Jan, 2; Feb 4, Mar, 1
          CT - Oct, 2; Nov, 6; Dec, 2; Jan, 2; Feb, 3
          ME - Oct, 2; Nov, 4; Dec, 1; Jan, 2; Feb, 6; Mar, 1
          MA - Oct, 4; Nov, 4; Dec, 2; Jan, 3; Feb,3; Mar, 1
          UML - Oct, 5; Nov, 5; Dec, 1; Jan, 3; Feb, 3, Mar, 1
          MC - Oct, 2; Nov, 5; Dec, 3; Jan, 4; Feb, 3
          UNH - Oct, 0; Nov, 5; Dec, 1; Jan, 6; Feb,, 4; Mar, 1
          NU - Oct, 2; Nov, 5; Dec, 1; Jan, 3; Feb, 2; Mar, 1
          PC - Oct, 3; Nov, 6; Dec, 1; Jan, 2; Feb 3
          UVM - Oct, 1; Nov, 4; Dec, 2; Jan, 5; Feb, 4

It appears that UMass has a balanced home schedule, but the other 10 teams all have unbalanced home schedules like BU.

Last season BU had 5 home games in January, but only 2 in February. Which is better, last season or this season?

And how many home games do you want in a season? BU usually tries to schedule 16 or 17 every season, but other Hockey East teams have scheduled as few as 14 and as many as 18 the past several seasons. Notre Dame has scheduled between 18 and 21 home games every season for the past 8 seasons.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

With respect to the schedule, we have had some pretty interesting teams visit. Over the past 3 years we have had home weekends against Minnesota State, Arizona State and Northern Michigan... all interesting teams that we traditionally not seen a lot of.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
              With respect to the schedule, we have had some pretty interesting teams visit. Over the past 3 years we have had home weekends against Minnesota State, Arizona State and Northern Michigan... all interesting teams that we traditionally not seen a lot of.
              maybe interesting names but not teams that attract local casual fans or have any local base of fans to draw to arena
              All seven big ten teams would have an additional fan base to help sagging attendance
              Northern Michigan was scheduled during a panic mode when they were in danger of not having enough home games

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
                maybe interesting names but not teams that attract local casual fans or have any local base of fans to draw to arena
                All seven big ten teams would have an additional fan base to help sagging attendance
                Northern Michigan was scheduled during a panic mode when they were in danger of not having enough home games
                Eh... i like that they mix it up and we see new and different teams. College hockey basically doesn't have local casual fans... true a Michigan would likely bring in a handful of local Michigan alums (moreso than Arizona State etc) but a home weekend against Ohio state or penn st isn’t curing attendance woes. The best thing we can do to help attendance is winning consistently with and exciting brand of hockey.

We will assuredly see Big 10 teams again but with the limited number of ooc games available it isn’t going to happen every year.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                  Sean:
                  How many times has a Terrier scored an OT goal in his first game? Couldn’t have been too often.
                  My complete records only go back to the start of Hockey East (1984-85) and from 1918 through 1947-48. I have no record of a rookie scoring the game-winning goal in his first game for either of those time periods. I do show 19 OT game winners scored by 15 rookies in the Hockey East era (Mike Sullivan and Tony Amonte both did it twice and Jack Eichel did it three times), but none did so in their first game. Tony Amonte did it in this 5th game and Shane Bowers did it in his second game.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
                    Did both Adrian Aucoin and Dan LaCouture play the full year? I recall that Aucoin had a tough year from the start, beginning with an excessive celebration on a goal that cemented like a 10-goal lead. Those are the only ones besides Coyle that come to mind.

John Lilley?

Nick Vachon (one ceremonial game for the NY Islanders)?

I'm sure the number of players who didn't go to class post-December is a much longer list...
                    Aucoin played his entire freshman season, as did LaCouture (I believe he took incompletes for his first semester). Lilley left after playing in 5 games his sophomore season and Vachon left after playing in 15 games his sophomore season. Scott King played 18 games his freshman season before becoming academically ineligible, but as I recall he stayed at BU and attempted to get his grades up the second semester before leaving the team. And Brendan Walsh played most of his sophomore season before being kicked off the team.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Welll, that was disappointing. On a win streak, 3 goal lead after 15 minutes....loss. Another 3 goal lead blown. It seems the games whrere we have had the best offensive flow turn into these kinds of losses or ties. Can't figure it out.

Comment

Is there a record for blown 3 goal leads in a season? If so, something to shoot for.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

Well that’s that.

What does the 2020-21 schedule look like?

Line projections?

Geeez already. This sucks
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

“We just need more buy-in in the locker room, that’s the reality. We’ve got enough good players. We’ve got enough competitors. We just need more buy-in, and it comes from the top.” - The Coach

Buy or sell this statement? And what does it say about the coaching staff on January 11th?
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Well that’s that.

What does the 2020-21 schedule look like?

Line projections?

Geeez already. This sucks
                              Hail to the Almighty PWR Guru! ..........................you have already figured it out?

Comment

Originally posted by BU93 View Post
                                Welll, that was disappointing. On a win streak, 3 goal lead after 15 minutes....loss. Another 3 goal lead blown. It seems the games whrere we have had the best offensive flow turn into these kinds of losses or ties. Can't figure it out.
                                3-4 goals should be enough to win most hockey games. On the offensive end of the ice we’re OK, but we can’t defend. We set up in our d-zone like we’re defending a power play, box out and try to keep the opponents on the perimeter. But we don’t pursue or pressure the puck – we try to get in the shot line, and wave our sticks around. Sooner or late someone gets a clear shot, or an unattended forward pounces on a loose puck or rebound and up it goes on the scoreboard.

Backchecking (a la Bergeron) seems to be a lost part of the game, or maybe it’s beneath high end players.

This is the weakest defensive corps I can recall. Aside from Crotty, we’re thin. McCarthy is a huge disappointment; Vlasic =may develop into something good, but he’s got a long way to go – he looks clueless for most of the time in the d-zone; Fensore should be a center or a pesky BC-like winger; Farrance loves to rush the puck and play offense, but this leaves us naked at the back too often; Kotkansalo is OK but uninspired.

Maybe we need to move one or more of our excess of forwards back and give them a shot at defense? They’d rather have a shot at playing than just watching as a healthy scratch. We moved Ahti Oksanen up to forward – maybe we try the reverse? Maybe we need to see more of Driscoll or Blixt? Or (gasp) , try Copeland back there?

Who runs the defense? Paul Pearl? Does anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X