This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Thanks. And yes Jan. (Sunday brain.). I forgot the Shawn Walsh time line. That was Timmy Time, correct?
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      What goalie(s) are you thinking of that transferred after being supplanted? I can think of a few who did so after they earned their degree, but not any before then.

As for Abel, I have no knowledge what Coach O'Connell said to him to get him to come to BU, but I would expect him to honor it. Maybe he said Abel would be the backup next season and maybe he said he would get a shot to be a co-starter, or maybe get 1/3 of the games. When Coach O'Connell arrived at BU Coach Parker was still using a two goalie system, although he started going with one during the postseason and then just with one Coach O'Connell's senior season. So maybe Coach O'Connell will go with a two goalie system next season and decide who gets to play based on practice and game performance. At the least he might want to give Commesso regular rest. Look at Knight: since he returned from the game he didn't play his number haven;t been as good as before.

Sean
      Brett Bennett wasn't anywhere near good as billed, and left for Wisconsin.

Purpura hasn't dressed since the end of the first semester. Abel was brought in for the second semester.
      Perhaps it is an academic or a health/injury issue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
        ... and as best I can tell, he didn’t do much at Wisconsin and was done with competive hockey after that. Pretty amazing when you compare him and Curry in terms of advanced billing and actual results.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
          ... and Curry
          "i don't know if he is a #1 goalie, but he is our #1 goalie"

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

Purpura hasn't dressed since the end of the first semester. Abel was brought in for the second semester.
            Perhaps it is an academic or a health/injury issue?
            I don't think J.D. was thinking of either Bennett (to long ago - does he even remember Bennett?) or Purpura, which is why I asked.

As for Bennett, the situation was somewhat different, as I believe he was recruited with the expectation of taking over from John Curry his sophomore season, which he did. However, his play was poor so BU went out and recruited two goalies for the following season. I believe Coach Parker cut him, but it was obvious he was not part of BU's plans for the 2008-09 season.

Back then it was rare for a goalie to transfer as I recall. The two goalies Curry beat out to win the starting job stayed at BU all four seasons; Karson Gillespie, the goalie recruited to replace Sean Fields and Stephen Siwiec, who came to BU as the backup to Fields. And Grant Rollheiser also stayed all four seasons as well, despite quickly being regulated to backup. Matt O'Connor was the next goalie to leave BU with eligibility remaining, followed by Sean Maguire and then Connor LaCouvee the following two seasons, however only LaCouvee transferred.

As for Purpura, he is still listed on the roster. In the past when players have left the team they have been removed from it immediately, so I don't think he has left the team at this time. I also don't think it would be an academic issue as he was on the 2018-19 Hockey East All-Academic Team. So that only leaves an injury or Coach O'Connell letting him know where he is on the depth chart.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Sean, I didn't scour every transfer that has ever happened. It was a general point that if Abel is your guy down the stretch and plays well I highly doubt he'll be happy backing up Commesso for three years and that there's probably a good chance he looks for more PT elsewhere. I meant nowadays as in college sports in general.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Sean, I didn't scour every transfer that has ever happened. It was a general point that if Abel is your guy down the stretch and plays well I highly doubt he'll be happy backing up Commesso for three years and that there's probably a good chance he looks for more PT elsewhere. I meant nowadays as in college sports in general.
                I was having similar thoughts. The possible counters would be 1) if you keep playing well, you'll get some time, maybe not 50/50, but maybe 70/30 and 2) if Commesso is THAT good that you aren't seeing much time, he could be gone after a year (though goalies admittedly rarely leave that early for the NHL).
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  https://twitter.com/BOShockeyblog/st...61844584325120

That video shows 6 MC skaters in the play. In addition to that, the goalie was in net and a 7th skater was scrambling back to the bench. There were 8 MC players on the ice when the puck was dropped.
                  I finally got around to watching the game replay on CBS All-Access. At 2:24:50 they show a replay of the non-goal where you can clearly see the six skaters in the offensive zone and then they immediately show a replay from behind the Merrimack end. Just after the non-goal you see Kobryn (Merrimack's goalie) skate into view as he skates from the net towards the bench. So, he wasn't even trying to get to the bench until after the non-goal. There is no way the puck should have been dropped and in fact the clock was reset (and in yet another mistake it was rest by 10 seconds and not 4, as it should have been: it's a good thing Merrimack didn't scored in those extra 6 seconds). I'm not sure what the officials saw that led to the goal being disallowed, but at least they (barely) got it right.

And while I agree that the reason for disallowing the goal should have been announced, the Merrimack announcers were pretty clueless and gave no indication that Merrimack had too many players on the ice with Kobryn still in the net. I also tried listen to Bernie's broadcast, but shortly after the non-goal the audio jumps to the end of the game. However, just before the puck drop Mark Linehan did say he was surprised Coach Borek hadn't pulled his goalie. However, neither he nor Bernie mentioned the six Merrimack players in the offensive zone.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    I was having similar thoughts. The possible counters would be 1) if you keep playing well, you'll get some time, maybe not 50/50, but maybe 70/30 and 2) if Commesso is THAT good that you aren't seeing much time, he could be gone after a year (though goalies admittedly rarely leave that early for the NHL).
                    I have been told it is likely Commesso will leave after his sophomore season, so maybe Abel leaves BU for a season and then returns so he will still have 2 seasons of eligibility after Commesso leaves.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                      Yes. 3 points on the weekend and 5-2-1 over the last 8. Not bad.
                      We played with less speed Saturday than we did Friday night, and that resulted in the play coming to us rather than our dictating the flow. Still, I'll take 3 points for the weekend. That, coupled with UMass Amherst getting 1 point and BC getting none, the Hockey East standings are very tight and top spots are up for the taking.

I'd still rather see Fensore playing up front. Almost 70% of the UML players were over 6' and many also over 200lbs. At 5'7" and 150, Fensore just can't play the body against that size. he just gets shoved aside or bodied off the puck. He's so talented a skater and slick as a puck handler, he could be very dangerous as a forward. Harper-esque, I'd say.

Comment

• Good. We are coming for you. We have never lost sight of our true enemy’s.
                        Last edited by BlackI; 01-27-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          I have been told it is likely Commesso will leave after his sophomore season, so maybe Abel leaves BU for a season and then returns so he will still have 2 seasons of eligibility after Commesso leaves.

Sean
                          Very doubtful a goalie would leave after just two seasons. Oettinger/Woll etc left after 3 seasons.

Comment

Spencer Knight could prove to be the exception there. I would think he might leave after two years. But overall I agree with you. Where is Commesso expected to be drafted? Rounds 2-3?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Spencer Knight could prove to be the exception there. I would think he might leave after two years. But overall I agree with you. Where is Commesso expected to be drafted? Rounds 2-3?
                              I would say 2-3 rounds is about right - normally where goalies get drafted. I am not sure Knight leaves that early. Lets not forget he is a true freshman and is only 18. Florida has goalie position locked up with Bobrosky for the next 8 years or so with the deal he signed. I could see Florida not rushing him and wanting him to play a few more years at BC. Commesso will be the same situation and a true freshman. Then again Primeau left after 2 seasons....

Comment

until the kid is drafted it's all a wag

whomever gets his rights will help the estimations
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X