This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

How many leads has this team blown this season? There have been several 3-0 leads blown.

To give up the tying goal in the last minute, and lose in the first minute -- seconds really -- in overtime, is unconscionable.

They do deserve credit because they fight back when they are down.

But come on? They don't know how to play with a lead. This coming off a game where it took two full periods to make any in-game adjustments.

Where will the accountability come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
      How many leads has this team blown this season? There have been several 3-0 leads blown.
      Assuming I counted correctly, BU is 12-5-6 (really 13-6-4) in games where they held a lead at anytime. Here are the records for the other Hockey East teams (also assuming I counted correctly):
      BC 21-4-1 (actually 21-5-0)
      CT 12-6-3
      MA 18-5-1
      ME 17-5-1
      UML 16-3-4
      MC 8-9-2
      UNH 15-10-2
      NU 17-6-2 (actually 18-6-1)
      PC 15-5-6
      UVM 3-8-2

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

To give up the tying goal in the last minute, and lose in the first minute -- seconds really -- in overtime, is unconscionable.

They do deserve credit because they fight back when they are down.

But come on? They don't know how to play with a lead. This coming off a game where it took two full periods to make any in-game adjustments.

Where will the accountability come from?
        Last night's disaster was a lack of execution:

1. Three BU players were around the puck just inside the BU blueline. Instead of clearing the puck into the UConn zone, the best they could do was chip just outside of the BU zone. UConn brings it right back into the BU d-zone.

2. BU dman (Vlasic?) tries the old "hammer the puck around the boards and hope for the best". As usual, it didn't work. UConn keeps puck in zone, puck in the net.

3. In OT, Curry passed the puck to UConn forward to setup game winner.

4. BU coverage in front of net was awful on all 4 UConn goals. Crotty had a brutal game in this regard.

5. How to make them accountable? They don't have a fleet of guys to serve as replacements.
        Last edited by buoldtimer; 02-22-2020, 06:49 AM.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• [QUOTE=Rover;6904370]Maybe but they're going to get kneecapped by a stupid coach who doesn't have the ability to make in game or next game adjustments.[/QUOTE

Maybe it’s time you accept the sad reality that with all our talent leaving in 1-2 years it is near impossible to build a dynamic team. David Quinn had 1 great year right? With some excellent older talent and a generational player. Stop your whining about the coach. Everybody was whining about Quinn and he seems to be doing fairly well building a young team in the NHL. get out of your basement and maybe enjoy life for a moment

Comment

You're making it sound like BU can never be good again. It's possible to find the right mix of players like BC has right now. I think what we are seeing though is that it's harder and harder for the same teams to be good every year when you have early defections.

What's interesting with you guys this year is you have 3 very good upperclassmen leading the way and a great freshman forward. It's what's in between that is lacking. To me that falls on Quinn. No idea if Albie is your long term answer but the guy deserves more time.

Comment

More horrors in Hartford. Gotta win tonight.
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                This post didn’t age well. 😀
                Nostradamus I am not...

3rd season in a row where they lose in OT @ UCONN on a Friday night in February.

2018: blow 2 goal lead in 3rd, lose in OT
                2019: rally from 2-0 deficit in 3rd, then lose in OT
                Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 02-22-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

While I couldn't help wonder when we were up a goal late if a run all the way to the conference championship game could somehow get them an at-large bid, I'm guessing it wasn't really possible. With that in mind, the optimist in me says - this is an okay team that can play well at times, and they nearly won a road game in an arena they don't do well in. The NCAAs are only possible with a nice run in a couple weeks. Get a W tonight, play well next week against BC (win or lose) then at least split with NU and maybe they can find the right time to get hot...
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                    We try to do our part. 😁. And from our point of view, how do we NOT drag in Jack? The actual games with BU haven’t been relevant since the 2009 Regional.
                    Stop being so grumpy...😁
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-22-2020, 10:50 AM.
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

It may be that Albie is a very good recruiter and not a very good coach!

Comment

Originally posted by boots68 View Post
                        David Quinn had 1 great year right?
                        Except for those other two years when he won a HE RS championship, a HE Championship, and was a stones throw from the Frozen Four both times.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by meauxmo View Post
                          It may be that Albie is a very good recruiter and not a very good coach!
                          Maybe that's why, as some have mentioned, there is a reason a person is a career assistant. Not everyone is destined to climb to the top...many people are much better playing ancillary roles. And there is nothing wrong with that. The issue is, will anyone recognize this and stop the bleeding, or do we have to give him the obligatory "a couple of more years?"

EDIT: Although it may seem that way, this post does not contradict what I posted beneath it. The two things are mutually exclusive. The evaluation of whether a coach is the right choice is a completely separate issue from the strategy that the school chooses to employ regarding who they bring in.
                          Last edited by chickod; 02-22-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            While I couldn't help wonder when we were up a goal late if a run all the way to the conference championship game could somehow get them an at-large bid, I'm guessing it wasn't really possible. With that in mind, the optimist in me says - this is an okay team that can play well at times, and they nearly won a road game in an arena they don't do well in. The NCAAs are only possible with a nice run in a couple weeks. Get a W tonight, play well next week against BC (win or lose) then at least split with NU and maybe they can find the right time to get hot...
                            IMO, this is the double-edged sword you get with high profile (high draft picks) players. They seem to play better when the lights are turned way up. Just to name a few examples...the NCAA regionals win over North Dakota (McEvoy to Keller), the HE Championship that they had to win to get in, the Beanpot win over BC, the "almost" win vs NU. But then look at the losses to Sacred Heart and Merrimack (no disrespect to their TEAMS, but this team seems to go through the motions when they play a game such as, oh, what the heck, "Some throwaway game up in Rochester.") Might as well use that reference since this is the 40th anniversary of the Miracle on Ice!

I don't know the answer to this, and I'm not sure there is one. This is the path (as has been discussed seemingly forever on this board) that BU has chosen. Stock up on one and dones and try to catch lighting in a bottle. Other schools take a different approach. Try to build the program from the ground up and then win with older, experienced players who stay three or four years. Not saying which is right, but just pointing out the pitfalls of the first approach. A good analogy is an organization like the Red Sox, who seem to "decide" when they want to "load up" with free agents and stars so they can win, and then the next year dump salaries and perform terribly. There's no middle ground with that strategy, because there is no continuity from year to year. So you hope they jell so they can win one, but then you understand that it's probably not going to happen again for a few years. And, realistically it DID work. 2015 was won until [we all know what]. Then Eichel left and we had to start over. But "start over" is still hit or miss. You won't win every year, regardless of what "stars" you might bring in, because they are basically mercenaries and you don't know how they are going to fit in. Right or wrong, this is the strategy that BU has pursued for YEARS now, so we might as well get used to it. The world has changed and we are no longer going to be "perennial" contenders, so if anyone has that expectation, they need an attitude adjustment.

But the BIG question is, "Is this the right strategy given the heightened emphasis on the PWR the last few years?" Because the PWR rewards consistency. We could make the case that, on a good day, BU is BETTER than many of the teams above it in the rankings, but it doesn't matter. It's tough to HAVE TO win the HE tournament every year just to get to the NCAA's because they squandered opportunities throughout the season. It's nice to be able to play well in big games, but you have to GET TO the big games first, and they don't leave themselves any margin for error. Many contend that is the coach's fault. Although I am sure that is a factor, my personal belief is this is what you get with high-profile players that have their hearts set on loftier goals. They can't maintain that edge every game like the grinders do. Don't forget that the Beanpot was televised all over North America (NESN, NHL Network, TSN). Some may think it's a coincidence that they played well in both games - both in prime time all over the continent - I don't.

Some also say it could be a "leadership" issue. Yes, I agree. The 2009 team won because of its senior leadership. But that's the point. How is a one and done freshman going to come in and be a leader? First of all, you need credibility, and it takes time to earn respect. Second of all (and this is not assigning blame - again, it's just the way it is), how engaged is that guy going to be when he's out of here at the end of the season?

I think we have discussed ALL of these things for years now, but many just don't seem to want to accept the new reality. This is not the BU hockey powerhouse that we are used to seeing contend for a national title every year. It just isn't. That fact is NOT disputable. They is WAY too much talent spread out all over the country for that to happen. I think what people are afraid of, though, is that in addition, we are dangerously close to dropping out of "blue blood" status. And that is NOT acceptable to many people. But I'm not sure we can control that either. When you have giant state schools (for those of you who remember the comic strip "Tank McNamara" - "Enormous State U") with HUGE fan bases and endowments, particularly for sports, such as Penn State, and even UMass and UConn more recently, it's tough to compete if they are going to commit to spending those resources to win. UConn had 5,653 there last night (I wasn't there, but from TV it sure looked that was a pretty accurate count). We haven't had that in years at Agganis (OK, Sean, I'm putting you to work here...but even if we have, it's once in a blue moon. )
                            Last edited by chickod; 02-22-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              UConn isn't a bad team, thought they'd get something out of this weekend. The chaos continues.
                              Agreed. They have snuck up on people. But also, because of their apparent failure at attempting to become relevant in Division 1 football, I don't think some people are taking them seriously enough. They have size, speed and talent. And you don't need a 50-man roster to succeed in hockey. I have been to three or four games down there and they are on the upswing. They have done some great recruiting and they have the resources to succeed. There is a TON of money available at UConn. Connecticut is a VERY wealthy state. I rented a place for a year when I was working down there and I moved back because the expenses just overwhelmed the salary increase I was getting.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                There is a TON of money available at UConn. Connecticut is a VERY wealthy state.
                                Yukon is hurting financially on the athletics side of things. Conference realignment/football didn't exactly work out well for them. Maybe suing everyone was a bad idea.
                                Originally posted by reBlur
                                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X