This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

York is the better coach because he's going head to head with the other two when he's like 95 years old while the other two are in their prime. York in his best stretch blows away anything the other two have accomplished. That's not to take away from what they and Carvel at UMass do with far less resources.

I'd rank them in HE as:

1) York
    2) Leaman
    3) Bezin
    4) Madigan
    5) Carvel
    6) Cavanaugh

(big gap)

7) Albie
    8) Souza
    9) Borek
    10) Gendron
    11) Sneddon.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Some of these concerns, if true, are absurd and the school seriously needs to reconsider them. Who cares if for example Sacco might leave again for the pros? If he can do the job for 4-5 years like Quinn and make the program a contender complete with a few HE titles and a Frozen Four appearance why would you trade that for a clueless fata ss who has the team mired in mediocrity but will stay for 20 years because nobody else wants him?

Also I don't get the recruiting angle. No offense to Albie or anybody in his situation, but a former NHL player and head coach doesn't have the same credibility with the recruits that a career minor leaguer who's never been the head coach on any level has? Maybe there were some other reasons for not hiring Sacco that we're not privy to (including the open question of if he would have actually taken the job), but I hope those weren't the reasons or that's a major F up that needs to be corrected.
      Not arguing for Albie, only arguing for finding a candidate who won't come in and have one foot out the door the whole time.

The recruiting angle is, if you've never done it how good/committed are you to it? In most sports, the biggest challenge for lifetime pro coaches moving to college is the time dedication required for recruiting. You can't sit in the video room and break down film 100% of the offseason. You have to scout junior leagues around the world, travel, deal with families, sit in living rooms and sell your program, etc. If the head coach doesn't have the dedication to do that, they will not succeed. It's reasonable to ask this question of someone with zero collegiate coaching experience.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        Good stuff but I am commenting on the coaching as the total package not just winning %. There is no way that Providence nor UMass Lowell gets near the caliber players that BC does and yet they are right there. Leaman and Bazin get more out of less. Give Bazin and Leaman the talent that BC has and they are dominate.
        But would they be? Would they get as much out of better players? You really can't say. As has been pointed out here many times, when you have very talented players you also have to know how to coach them. What evidence do you have that Coaches Bazin and Leaman are able to do that?

As for the total package, I still think Coach York is better than Coaches Bazin and Leaman.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          But would they be? Would they get as much out of better players? You really can't say. As has been pointed out here many times, when you have very talented players you also have to know how to coach them. What evidence do you have that Coaches Bazin and Leaman are able to do that?

As for the total package, I still think Coach York is better than Coaches Bazin and Leaman.

Sean

Give Coach York Vermonts roster and they still finish at the bottom. A huge part of it is the talent you have. Quinn looked like a genius with Eichel on the team...I look at coaches who get the most out of their teams. BC last year underperformed mightily didnt they? This year they have a senior laden D group and some 1st rounders up front (that will probably leave). Lets see how York does next season...

Comment

however you want to break it down, nobody else could get the recruits mom's wet like quinny would!!!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              however you want to break it down, nobody else could get the recruits mom's wet like quinny would!!!
              Zero debate. Close thread.

Comment

LOL...on a side note who is this years Bob Kullen Coach of the year frontrunner? Red Gendron would be my vote at this point with Cavanaugh 2nd.....
                If you only use league records I think Coach York is in the mix, but Coach Cavanugh would be my front runner when you compare his record vs last season. If you use overall records as well, then Coach Gendron may be the front runner, but I think this season it really is too early to say.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Give Coach York Vermonts roster and they still finish at the bottom. A huge part of it is the talent you have. Quinn looked like a genius with Eichel on the team...I look at coaches who get the most out of their teams. BC last year underperformed mightily didnt they? This year they have a senior laden D group and some 1st rounders up front (that will probably leave). Lets see how York does next season...
                  And in this mythical world how would Coaches Bazin and Leaman do with Vermont's roster?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    And in this mythical world how would Coaches Bazin and Leaman do with Vermont's roster?

Sean
                    Crappy. LOL. But looking at the Hockey East standings the most talented team on paper is BC is it not?

Comment

Crappy. LOL. But looking at the Hockey East standings the most talented team on paper is BC is it not?
                      you could easily argue the last two years, it was BU

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                        I dont think so this year...BC added 3 first round picks including goalie, senior laden defense, Mattila, Hutsko and Cotton all back.

Comment

Good stuff but I am commenting on the coaching as the total package not just winning %. There is no way that Providence nor UMassLowell gets near the caliber players that BC does and yet they are right there. Leaman and Bazin get more out of less. Give Bazin and Leaman the talent that BC has and they are dominate.
                          Funny you left Madigan off this list

327 Games 164-127-35 .551%
                          L5 years 185 games 107-60-18 .641% 3 NCAA app, 2 HE titles, 3 Beanpots

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                            There is no case to be made BU has the most talented roster in the league with our goaltending situation.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              I'm not sure what the UVM point accomplishes. They are so far and away the worst team in the league that point is obvious. But I bet York could have recruited a better roster than Sneddon. He did coach in the North Country at Clarkson and Bowling Green isn't exactly a hot bed for talent. He also had a tremendous pipeline to New York when he first started getting BC going. You're selling him short. You're citing one disastrous year. Every great coach gets a mulligan.

Oh and I wouldn't be so sure about the first rounders leaving. Just look at Makar. Drafted by Avalanche, played two years. Could be same path for Newhook. Knight and Boldy doubtful to leave.

Comment

Being a head coach means at the end of the day, you are in charge of the whole thing. No doubt that schools with better facilities, better academic reputation, and in theory better history will have an easier time recruiting, all things seeing equal. But at the end of the day, if the wins aren't there, the recruiting starts getting harder. Jack Parker got a bump when Agganis was finally built. But when the wins started to fall off, even the having all the other qualifications (facilities, academics, history) couldn't stop the recruiting from falling significantly.

Yes, in theory a school like UML doesn't have the history or the academics that a school like BU has, but they have the facility, and more importantly, they found a coach who came up with a plan to still get wins - recruit older guys that may not be tops in their age group, but are solid players who buy into his system. Schools like NU and PC are sort of a blend in their approach - some older recruits, but lately, getting some to the USNDTP crown previously reserved for the BU/BCs of the world.
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X