This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

I don't know why the BU thread has been co-opted by BC fans to become the BC/Coach York thread. Do BU fans co-opt the BC thread to make it about BU/Coach Parker? I really don't know as I tend to not read it; the school specific threads I do read occasionally are those for Maine, UNH and UConn, since they have issues similar to BU. It interests me what their fans (who post here) think about their programs and they tend to be more active here than the remaining BU fans.

As for Coach Cedorchuk, yes, his second season was better than his first and I thought that he had the BC program headed in the right direction. I was shocked by his firing, the scholarship problem and the Coach Milbury hiring/quitting (a bit like the Josh McDaniels/Colts hiring).

And as for the 1994 BC Beanpot win over Harvard, it was the one time I was rooting to BC. Since 1965 BC had won only one Pot a decade and having them win over Harvard and not BU was fine with me. Also one of the Harvard players really ****ed me off after their semifinal final win over BU when he said something like, "BU was the team of the seventies, NU was the team of the eighties, Harvard is the team of the nineties." Not only did he say that before Harvard won against BC, BU had already won the first three Pots of the nineties.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Is Albie the answer? Probably wont know for another year or two. It takes time to come in and put your stamp on a program. Greg Carval was 5-29-2 in his first year - I bet there was a ton of UMass fans wanting him out then. Second season he was 17-20-2 and 3rd season he was 31-10-0. Gotta give it time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        Is Albie the answer? Probably wont know for another year or two. It takes time to come in and put your stamp on a program. Greg Carval was 5-29-2 in his first year - I bet there was a ton of UMass fans wanting him out then. Second season he was 17-20-2 and 3rd season he was 31-10-0. Gotta give it time.
        Which is why I said he's got another year to show improvement. If BU gets to 31-10 next year, all is forgiven and I will pay for one trip to the Golden Corral for Albie out of my own pocket!
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Different circumstances though. Micheletto had run the UMass program 100% into the ditch when Carvel took over. When Albie took over, David Quinn had just gone to the Regional Final and won the Hockey East Championship.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Different circumstances though. Micheletto had run the UMass program 100% into the ditch when Carvel took over. When Albie took over, David Quinn had just gone to the Regional Final and won the Hockey East Championship.
            Totally fair comment. But Albie wasn’t bring back many impact players from that squad either. BU it seems is in a perpetual rebuild mode.

Comment

I think you overstate how many UMass fans wanted Coach Carval gone after one season. It was only slightly worse than that of Coach Micheletto's last season and as you point out his second season saw a 12 win improvement and a first round series win, UMass' first playoff series win in 11 seasons.

Coach O'Connell, on the other hand will only see a slight win improvement at most and it is still possible he could see a slightly worse record. He also won the quarterfinal series last season and BU is still in danger of missing the playoffs this season, or having to go on the road for the quarterfinals again (it would be the first time having to play on the road in back-to-back seasons since 2003 & 2004). Those who didn't want Coach O'Connell in the first place are unlikely to want to give him enough time to see if he will be successful because if he is successful then he will remain and their preferred choice will likely not get the chance to coach BU.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
                Bean pot win over Harvard in OT I think. Tom Mellor (?) from the right point, pretty innocuous shot, everyone including Steve was shocked that it went in. That was the highlight of his coaching career. That led to Milbury, the exposure of the scholarship problem and the hiring of Jerry. Thank God it worked out that way, Milbury would not have lasted long at BC and York was just what the program needed. We still need him.
                Tom Ashe?
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Thanks for the correction old timer, I got the first name right. BTW Sean, take a deep breathe and say OM. You can post on the BC thread anytime. Love to hear from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    Totally fair comment. But Albie wasn’t bring back many impact players from that squad either. BU it seems is in a perpetual rebuild mode.
                    Ask yourself why and it’s not because everyone wants to make the jump early

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
                      Ask yourself why and it’s not because everyone wants to make the jump early
                      Reading between the lines, it seems you're intimating that if Albie wasn't named as Quinn's successor, that Tkachuk would've likely returned last season? And/or that Bowers and/or Farabee, maybe even Krys nor Oettinger wouldn't have left early?

I left Fabbro out b/c it seemed pretty clear he'd leave after last season, regardless head coach.

Comment

Sean, Lemonade brought up York in his defense of Albie.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                          Reading between the lines, it seems you're intimating that if Albie wasn't named as Quinn's successor, that Tkachuk would've likely returned last season? And/or that Bowers and/or Farabee, maybe even Krys nor Oettinger wouldn't have left early?

I left Fabbro out b/c it seemed pretty clear he'd leave after last season, regardless head coach.
                          I can't comment on any of the others, but from a pretty reliable source, yes Farabee left cause of Albie.

Comment

But Mookie told me Albie bought those groceries as the lead recruiter. So if he recruited Farabee why would he then leave because Albie got the job?

Comment

• Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
                              I can't comment on any of the others, but from a pretty reliable source, yes Farabee left cause of Albie.
                              IMO Farabee and Bowers were surprise early departures. Even though Albie was involved in recruiting both, I can see where the relationship/expectations between some players and Albie perhaps shifted as Albie transitioned into his current tole. Or it could be different viewpoints between player-coach from a player development and Xs/Os standpoint.

Farabee was obviously very productive whereas Bowers took a big step back last year, and didn't seem like a player that was ready to turn pro.

Comment

Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
                                Bean pot win over Harvard in OT I think. Tom Mellor (?) from the right point, pretty innocuous shot, everyone including Steve was shocked that it went in. That was the highlight of his coaching career. That led to Milbury, the exposure of the scholarship problem and the hiring of Jerry. Thank God it worked out that way, Milbury would not have lasted long at BC and York was just what the program needed. We still need him.
                                Speaking of Tom Mellor, he was a top notch performer at BC. He was among the first college players to make it to the NHL (Detroit). I guess there won't be many contributors on this site who will remember him. Perhaps, old Spellman grad theprofromdover is one such person.
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X