This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Lets not forget in these cases its the NHL teams that has 100% control of these players. If the NHL doesnt think they are ready they arent going to cut a check and sign the kid. A kid may want to become pro but if the NHL doesnt think its ready and not in their best interest they arent going to sign him. Its becoming standard operating procedure for 1st round picks to play one year of NCAA then sign so the players mentioned were probably expected to leave. Zegras is a 1st rounder and by most accounts will leave after this season too. Not sure you can blame the coach for that....

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Those who didn't want Coach O'Connell in the first place are unlikely to want to give him enough time to see if he will be successful because if he is successful then he will remain and their preferred choice will likely not get the chance to coach BU.

Sean
      I don't think this is a fair statement. I was indifferent to Albie's hiring given his lack of head coaching experience balanced with the perception that he was a master recruiter. Having said that I would hope he ends up as BU's answer to Jerry York. BUT, he doesn't get lifetime employment just because he came up through the program. No improvement next year = no job for Albie. Its a results driven league and he's being paid handsomely to deliver the success that the coaches of UMass and Northeastern are already banking to name two nearby examples.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Having one and done guys can work. Kobasew and Eichel great examples. It's when you stack up 2-3 early departure at a time where it is difficult to maintain a consistent winning program. So if a coach recruits guys like that they need to do a better job identifying and developing the 3-4 year players they bring in.

Comment

Coaches would also be wise to find older freshmen to compliment the one and done types. Lesser programs have had great success with that. Minnesota State might be the best example.

Mike Hardman is a good example for BC. Turned 21 recently and has had a tremendous impact as a freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            I think you overstate how many UMass fans wanted Coach Carval gone after one season. It was only slightly worse than that of Coach Micheletto's last season and as you point out his second season saw a 12 win improvement and a first round series win, UMass' first playoff series win in 11 seasons.

Coach O'Connell, on the other hand will only see a slight win improvement at most and it is still possible he could see a slightly worse record. He also won the quarterfinal series last season and BU is still in danger of missing the playoffs this season, or having to go on the road for the quarterfinals again (it would be the first time having to play on the road in back-to-back seasons since 2003 & 2004). Those who didn't want Coach O'Connell in the first place are unlikely to want to give him enough time to see if he will be successful because if he is successful then he will remain and their preferred choice will likely not get the chance to coach BU.

Sean
            Carvel had done pretty well as a head coach at St. Lawrence, which has completely tanked since he left. That is some history that Albie doesn't have. And UMass was in the cellar before Carvel got there.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
              Speaking of Tom Mellor, he was a top notch performer at BC. He was among the first college players to make it to the NHL (Detroit). I guess there won't be many contributors on this site who will remember him. Perhaps, old Spellman grad theprofromdover is one such person.
              He played my last two years at BC. You knew he had it, much like when you saw Tim Sheehy, who was in my class.
              Originally posted by mookie1995
              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

With the choices of Albie and Bennett, I wanted Albie, and I am still glad they went that way. That being said, as I've noted before, I'm not convinced Albie is the answer.

Just because Albie may have recruited someone like Farabee or Bowers doesn't mean they can't leave because of him. Again, not everyone that coaches in hockey is cut out to be a HC.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  Just because Albie may have recruited someone like Farabee or Bowers doesn't mean they can't leave because of him. Again, not everyone that coaches in hockey is cut out to be a HC.
                  Good points...A player may have a positive relationship with a head coach (i.e. they like the coach as a person), but if they or their family/advisors have concerns over what's best for hockey development, they may seek other options such as turning pro early. Such "business" decisions go both ways between coaches, players.

If one looks at the progress of BU's returning players to try to gauge the current coaching staff's aptitude from a player development standpoint, obviously Curry and Farrance have improved significantly. Some have shown moderate improvement (i.e. Crotty, Quercia), but I feel the rest have mostly stagnated with their hockey development the last ~2 years.

As for the Freshman class, McCarthy might be the only one whom, IMO, has definitely improved since the start of the season. We all knew how good Zegras was coming in and he certainly has lived up to the billing, but he hasn't necessarily shown he's much better than he was back in October. The progression of this class will be crucial towards whatever success the next 3 BU teams may have.

Comment

I agree McCarthy has come a long way. He was a mess in the early going.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                      Speaking of Tom Mellor, he was a top notch performer at BC. He was among the first college players to make it to the NHL (Detroit). I guess there won't be many contributors on this site who will remember him. Perhaps, old Spellman grad theprofromdover is one such person.
                      I remember Tom Mellor

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        With the choices of Albie and Bennett, I wanted Albie, and I am still glad they went that way. That being said, as I've noted before, I'm not convinced Albie is the answer.
                        Union has gone belly up, so that bullet was dodged. Bennett is rumored for every open job. Maybe Vermont will bite.

I too was happy for Albie to get a chance. But Jay Pandolfo and Joe Sacco would have been more than acceptable, too. Shawn McEachern, maybe as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                          Union has gone belly up, so that bullet was dodged. Bennett is rumored for every open job. Maybe Vermont will bite.

I too was happy for Albie to get a chance. But Jay Pandolfo and Joe Sacco would have been more than acceptable, too. Shawn McEachern, maybe as well.
                          But this is where I blame BU. Those alums you list were better options but none of them were interested. Sop you default to Albie cause he was the best BU ALUM available at the time. You cut your field by only really considering BU alums. Bennett was never getting that job and you all know it. BU is one of the most prestigious college hockey programs in the country, and they hired a guy who has never been a head coach anywhere in his life. I'm glad they did, I;m not a BU fan, but if I was I would say hire the best guy. Not the best alum.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
                            But this is where I blame BU. Those alums you list were better options but none of them were interested. Sop you default to Albie cause he was the best BU ALUM available at the time. You cut your field by only really considering BU alums. Bennett was never getting that job and you all know it. BU is one of the most prestigious college hockey programs in the country, and they hired a guy who has never been a head coach anywhere in his life. I'm glad they did, I;m not a BU fan, but if I was I would say hire the best guy. Not the best alum.
                            Agree completely. You can't run the program like its 1970 anymore. Get the best person here, regardless of where they went to school.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

Wasn’t part of it that none of those three had finished their degree?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                                Wasn’t part of it that none of those three had finished their degree?
                                I believe so; my understanding is that this requirement came from Bob Brown. It's unclear whether there was any consideration towards hiring any of those candidates with a stipulation that they complete their degree within a certain time period while on the job (like Tony Granato @ Wisconsin). I do know from a trusted source that one rumored candidate for the BU job from when Albie was hired is working towards completing his degree; however it's unknown if that's with an eye towards positioning himself to be a candidate again if the BU job opens up again.
                                Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 02-26-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X