Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    if the boys reach 10 losses before 10 wins, that all goes to pot however
    heck next 6 games could prove difficult
    Swept ice tonight. Want your ice

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      I was impressed with how he played vs Concordia (although Nico Lynch stole that show) and last night vs UML when was was called on to make several tough saves. While it's a small sample size, his number for 2 2/3 games are excellent: 4 ga, 64 svs, 0.941 sv%, 1.48 gaa. Tucker's numbers, on the other hand are quite poor: 0.908 sv%, 2.79 gaa. I would make Abel the starter immediately and see it he can continue to play at the level he has so far.

Sean
      I'd expect Abel will be given every chance to prove he can handle a co-starter role. Should be interesting to see who gets the start in the Beanpot opener. Meanwhile, Drew Commesso (ranked #2 among N.American goalies by Central Scouting) produced another strong win (4-1) over a Big 10 school last night, blanking Michigan until yielding a power-play goal in the final minute. Last week he backboned a 2-1 win against Minnesota. I don't think it's premature to say goaltending should be a strength for BU next season.

Commesso finished the game with 32 stops on 33 shots, including two highlight-reel saves early in the game. He made a no-look spinning save with his stick to keep the Wolverines off the board early in the opening period and then made a glove save on a point-blank shot from Emil Ohrwall alone in front of the net in the second.
      https://***********/USAHockeyNTDP/st...666169345?s=20

https://***********/USAHockeyNTDP/st...932438529?s=20
      Last edited by Rogie21; 01-26-2020, 08:04 AM.
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

If this new guy plays well for you and then is supplanted by Commesso, will be interesting to see what happens. Nowadays that usually ends in a transfer.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          If this new guy plays well for you and then is supplanted by Commesso, will be interesting to see what happens. Nowadays that usually ends in a transfer.
          Tucker will be gone as he is a graduate transfer anyways. That will leave Abel and Commesso. Commesso will be starter and Abel will be a suitable backup. As mentioned before this is a bridge year for BU. Next year they should be really really good if everyone comes back which may happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            I'd expect Abel will be given every chance to prove he can handle a co-starter role. Should be interesting to see who gets the start in the Beanpot opener.
            I disagree. I think it's Abel's job to lose now and expect that Tucker will only get a few spot starts down the stretch (Maybe 2) unless Abel falls apart.

A few other fun things on a Sunday morning....

Did anyone else see the "This date in history" post on the scoreboard Friday night. February 24, 2004. A 1-0 win against Maine with.... (Wait for it) .... 268 penalty minutes and 48 penalties called. I remember that blood bath in the old barn. Shawn Walsh at his best. . Good times.

Skoog and Abel were two strong deadline deals. I think the jury is still out on Albie, but I gotta give him props, where props are due. Well done.

Decent crowd on Friday night. Will the BC game actually sell out? (And will it be their only sell-out of the year?)

And finally, how come the "original" home jersey's are a V-neck and the "original" road jerseys' have a lace-up collar? I don't remember that oddness. It's dumb.

BU Hockey: Fighting Like Hell to be Relevant in 2020
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
              Tucker will be gone as he is a graduate transfer anyways. That will leave Abel and Commesso. Commesso will be starter and Abel will be a suitable backup. As mentioned before this is a bridge year for BU. Next year they should be really really good if everyone comes back which may happen.
              I meant Abel will be looking to transfer if he gets supplanted by Commesso. That is, if he proves down the stretch he's capable of being a #1 goalie.

Comment

Bomber, your memory is fuzzy. Walsh has passed away by then...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  What goalie(s) are you thinking of that transferred after being supplanted? I can think of a few who did so after they earned their degree, but not any before then.

As for Abel, I have no knowledge what Coach O'Connell said to him to get him to come to BU, but I would expect him to honor it. Maybe he said Abel would be the backup next season and maybe he said he would get a shot to be a co-starter, or maybe get 1/3 of the games. When Coach O'Connell arrived at BU Coach Parker was still using a two goalie system, although he started going with one during the postseason and then just with one Coach O'Connell's senior season. So maybe Coach O'Connell will go with a two goalie system next season and decide who gets to play based on practice and game performance. At the least he might want to give Commesso regular rest. Look at Knight: since he returned from the game he didn't play his number haven;t been as good as before.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    And finally, how come the "original" home jersey's are a V-neck and the "original" road jerseys' have a lace-up collar? I don't remember that oddness. It's dumb.
                    It's been this way for almost a decade. They added laces to the standard away jerseys around 2011, I hoped/figured the standard home jerseys would be following shortly after. I was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      I meant Abel will be looking to transfer if he gets supplanted by Commesso. That is, if he proves down the stretch he's capable of being a #1 goalie.
                      Gotcha. I don’t think Abel is anywhere near the caliber of Commesso so that will work it’s way out. In fact Commesso has better stats than Knight had playing on a stacked usntp team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                        You raise a good point. Even if the two goalies are about the same level - IF - might as well give more time to the guy who’s coming back next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          Did anyone else see the "This date in history" post on the scoreboard Friday night. February 24, 2004. A 1-0 win against Maine with.... (Wait for it) .... 268 penalty minutes and 48 penalties called. I remember that blood bath in the old barn. Shawn Walsh at his best. . Good times.
                          I noticed that message, too. I know I attended that game, but my memory fails me; I can't recall the details. I've looked for a box score, but can't find one. Can anyone (Sean?) assist, please? Was the game a slugfest throughout? Or was there a serious dustup at some point? Who were the prime combatants?

However, you refer to the game being played on February 24, 2004. If the feature was "This Date in Terrier History", it would've been played on January 24th, which was this past Friday's date, right?
                          Last edited by buoldtimer; 01-26-2020, 12:48 PM.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            Unrelated but relevant, T's Pub is apparently closing. Likely because Albie has no personality.

https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.c...ed-by.html?m=1
                            Well, that's depressing. I watched a hell of a lot of away games there back in the day (including our 1991 Final loss).
                            Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                              I noticed that message, too. I know I attended that game, but my memory fails me; I can't recall the details. I've looked for a box score, but can't find one. Can anyone (Sean?) assist, please? Was the game a slugfest throughout? Or was there a serious dustup at some point? Who were the prime combatants?

However, you refer to the game being played on February 24, 2004. If the feature was "This Date in Terrier History", it would've been played on January 24th, which was this past Friday's date, right?
                              Yes, the game was on Saturday, 24 January 2004, the second game of a two game series. Maine came into the weekend ranked #3 with a 16-5-1 record, while BU was 6-8-6. The Black Bears won Friday's shootout, 8-4, a game with 14 penalties/39 minutes. On Saturday BU took a 1-0 lead midway through the game (12:10 of the second period) when Bryan Miller scored the winner against Jimmy Howard (he was Maine's backup goalie to Frank Doyle to that point in the season). The game remained pretty much under control (11 penalties/22 minutes) until there was 1 second left in the game and tempers exploded. As I recall it happened in the corner behind the BU net. All 11 skaters on the ice received roughing minors, 10- misconducts and game misconducts (Dustin Penner and Ryan Whitney received double minors). All told only 6 penalties/12 minutes were not for roughing out of the 46 (not 48) penalties/268 minutes called for the game:
                              1st period
                              10:17 Gregg Johnson, BU, 2, hooking
                              17:22 Bryan Miller, BU, 2, roughing
                              17:22 Jimmy Howard, ME, 2, hitting after the whistle
                              19:44 Tom Morrow, BU, 2, unsportsmanlike conduct
                              19:58 Dustin Penner, ME, 2, obstruction - interference
                              2nd period
                              10:36 Prestin Ryan, ME, 2, holding
                              3rd period
                              02:22 Jon Jankus, ME, 2, roughing
                              02:22 Brian McConnell, BU, 2, roughing
                              03:27 Jekabs Redlihs, BU, 2, holding
                              05:30 Derek Damon, ME, 2, roughing
                              05:30 Brad Zancanaro, BU, 2, roughing
                              all at 19:59
                              Dustin Penner, ME, 24, roughing double minor, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Ryan Whitney, BU, 24, roughing double minor, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Colin Shields, ME, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Prestin Ryan, ME, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Jon Jankus, ME, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Mike Lundin, ME, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Greg Moore, ME, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              David Van der Gulik, BU, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Brian McConnell, BU, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Mark Mullem, BU, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts
                              Jekabs Redlihs, BU, 22, roughing, 10-minute and game misconducts

That was BU's only win against Maine that season, as they lost at Alfond, 2-1, and at the Garden in the HE semifinals 1-0.

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 01-26-2020, 03:40 PM.
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                Yes, the game was on Saturday, 24 January 2004, the second game of a two game series. Maine came into the weekend ranked #3 with a 16-5-1 record, while BU was 6-8-6. The Black Bears won Friday's shootout, 8-4, a game with 14 penalties/39 minutes. On Saturday BU took a 1-0 lead midway through the game (12:10 of the second period) when Bryan Miller scored the winner against Jimmy Howard (he was Maine's backup goalie to Frank Doyle to that point in the season). The game remained pretty much under control (11 penalties/22 minutes) until there was 1 second left in the game and tempers exploded. As I recall it happened in the corner behind the BU net. All 11 skaters on the ice received roughing minors, 10- misconducts and game misconducts (Dustin Penner and Ryan Whitney received double minors). All told only 6 penalties/12 minutes were not for roughing out of the 46 (not 48) penalties/268 minutes called for the game:
                                Sean
                                Thanks, Sean.
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X