This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    not for nothing, but perhaps the "tradition" has just changed? who gives a turkey if guys no longer come out in number order.

just because jackpa did it, then quinny...why does that mean albie needs to continue?

beyond someone meaning to count the numbers as they jump on the ice and be able to immediately see, "oh, 16 isn't dressed tonight) where does this matter?
    same if the guys no longer line up in order for the anthem.

or kneel for the anthem
    It’s still the tradition ... and they make themselves out to somehow be better than the rest
    Except no leadership too down so no one says anything

Comment

• Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
      This has been going on all year ... and many have noticed ... it isn’t just zegras .. often it’s Harper curry and zegras .. sometimes just one or two sometimes Curry alone .. it’s awful to see and just shows such a lack of leadership .. I don’t care about currys numbers he has been a super disappointment as a captain
      All season? Wow. It’s hard to imagine some of the past captains allowing such a thing. It also suggests a lack of discipline by the coaching staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
        All season? Wow. It’s hard to imagine some of the past captains allowing such a thing. It also suggests a lack of discipline by the coaching staff.
        Correct ... and since 2 are captains well ..: There is your answer and couldn’t agree more with it being top down and just zero accountability is the story of the team under this regime

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
          This has been going on all year ... and many have noticed ... it isn’t just zegras .. often it’s Harper curry and zegras .. sometimes just one or two sometimes Curry alone .. it’s awful to see and just shows such a lack of leadership .. I don’t care about currys numbers he has been a super disappointment as a captain
          Besides the 'out by the numbers' matter, can you provide other examples of Curry's shortcomings as captain?
          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            Comments like this:

“ Cole hopes that his play has done the talking the rest of the year and he wants to turn pro once the Badgers season ends.

If the Canadiens will have him, he hopes to play in NHL games this season.

“That’s my goal but I mean I can’t focus on it right now,” he says. “I just hope it works out. I talk to them probably once or twice a week and they just want me to focus on day-by-day and when that time comes we’ll think about it a little more. But I definitely want to be there.”
            THis cracks me up. The Canadiens are calling him once or twice a week, but that isn't his focus right now? How can he NOT be focused on the NHL when they are talking to him that frequently? And what the heck are they talking to him about? Are they giving him advice on how he is playing? If I was Granato I would be livid.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              Well that season BU did have 8 players with 10 or more goals; Doug was tied for 9th with Albie O'Connell.

Sean
              That team was an offensive machine, and until the last few games of the season, was looking like a National Champion. Bob Norton used to talk about how they had 6 legitimate All-American forward candidates in Drury, Pandolfo, Grier, O'Sullivan, Bates, and Bob Lachance.

That was also the season of the SHG. I think the team finished with at least 23 of them. They had 7 tin one weekend against Northeastern including 5 in one game (Pandolfo had three of them).

Comment

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
                Sometimes on the 'jumbotron', at the point when the players start coming onto the ice, the camera is in the runway and you see Curry and Harper fist-bumping the players as they go by. Curry is the captain, and I assumed that Harper was there because he's the senior assistant captain. The other two "A"s are in numerical order. Zegras is the exception. As a long time youth coach I know a lot about team building, and allowing someone special status is a cancer that will grow in any team or organization.

Without any more info than what presents on the ice, I think Curry has done just fine as a captain. He plays hard, and while he isn't the most naturally talented player, he gives all that he's got and one can't ask for more than that. He has his teammates' backs and when an opponent runs one of them, he's among the first to respond. Not at all unlike Bobo Carpenter....., and that's pretty good company.

Comment

Curry has certainly developed into a much better player than I expected. His hustle alone gets him some kudos from me on captains duties. I can't speak to anything beyond that.

I would caution on the Zegras number thing, in case there is a solid reason (I'm reminded of the story of when Gilroy asked to wear #97, and Parker said no way, until he heard the reason). But if there isn't a good reason, then I agree that it speaks volumes about leadership.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    Curry has certainly developed into a much better player than I expected. His hustle alone gets him some kudos from me on captains duties. I can't speak to anything beyond that.

I would caution on the Zegras number thing, in case there is a solid reason (I'm reminded of the story of when Gilroy asked to wear #97, and Parker said no way, until he heard the reason). But if there isn't a good reason, then I agree that it speaks volumes about leadership.
                    Or tapper and his 83

No doubt there is some reasoning.
                    Of all the crap to get worked up over with the results this season, this is in the bottom 13th percentile
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

On the Zegras/Caufield with one foot out the door thing, it is easy to blame the system and it's just how things are now. But I would point to Eichel as an example of how it is still about the character of the kid. Eichel was so clearly better than anyone else on his team and pretty much the country, and yet you could see his enthusiasm for playing for BU. He busted his tail to help the team get as far as they did. He always deflected talk about the draft, comparisons with McDavid, etc. Heck, even in Sabres camp, he just talked about hoping to make the team. Compare that with Zegras who was was clear at the draft that he was looking at BU as a one season stopping point. And before the team had even started practicing, he was talking about how he was going to be playing on the first line.

Zegras is highly skilled, and I don't want to dump on an 18 year old, because that is still very young. But I think if we are going to continue to recruit kids that are highly skilled and will probably leave after one year, we need coaching and veteran players to teach them how to be a little more humble and focused on the team.

Alright, I'm off my rambling soap box.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Or tapper and his 83

No doubt there is some reasoning.
                        Of all the crap to get worked up over with the results this season, this is in the bottom 13th percentile
                        Yeah, I thought about Jason as well.

Comment

On the Zegras/Caufield with one foot out the door thing, it is easy to blame the system and it's just how things are now. But I would point to Eichel as an example of how it is still about the character of the kid. Eichel was so clearly better than anyone else on his team and pretty much the country, and yet you could see his enthusiasm for playing for BU. He busted his tail to help the team get as far as they did. He always deflected talk about the draft, comparisons with McDavid, etc. Heck, even in Sabres camp, he just talked about hoping to make the team. Compare that with Zegras who was was clear at the draft that he was looking at BU as a one season stopping point. And before the team had even started practicing, he was talking about how he was going to be playing on the first line.

Zegras is highly skilled, and I don't want to dump on an 18 year old, because that is still very young. But I think if we are going to continue to recruit kids that are highly skilled and will probably leave after one year, we need coaching and veteran players to teach them how to be a little more humble and focused on the team.

Alright, I'm off my rambling soap box.
                          I was reading one of the obits for Henri Richard and it said that when he joined the Canadiens, his brother Maurice warned him to keep a low profile. Here was a kid with much talent and a famous last name but he was told by a veteran he respected (his brother) to keep his mouth shut.
                          Of course, the Habs in the 50’s aren’t the Terriers today but it’s still a good lesson. And it’s one of the many challenges with one-and-dones: guys like Zegras don’t have too many similarly talented veterans they respect who can give them good advice that they will listen to. There was a time when even great players stayed two or more years, but those days are mostly gone.
                          Last edited by srsterrier; 03-08-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

But I think if we are going to continue to recruit kids that are highly skilled and will probably leave after one year, we need coaching and veteran players to teach them how to be a little more humble and focused on the team.
                            Looking at next season's incoming class plus verbal commits for 2021 and beyond, Zegras is likely the last 1-and-done BU will have in the foreseeable future. I think there's a concerted effort to shift the recruiting approach to a more sustainable model w/ emphasis on 3-4 year impact players and minimizing early departures (specifically 1-2 and done).

There was a stretch where players who couldn've left early returned for 1 more year -- Grzelcyk, O'Regan, Somerby, Hickey -- and BU needs to get back to that than guys like Tkachuk, Farabee, Bowers leaving when they did after the coaching change.
                            Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 03-08-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

One of Quinn's most underrated accomplishments was how he handled Jack and the surrounding Eichelmania during that season. Never once did I get the impression Jack was getting special treatment in among the team - instead, he was a freshman like every other player. Of course he got the most playing time, but he earned it. DQ did as good a job as he could keeping the media and Twitter rumors away from Jack and kept the focus on the team as a whole.

That's not to say Trevor is a selfish kid who only cares about himself. I don't know him so that's not fair for me to assume. I do see a kid willingly double-shifting himself in bad spots, looking to make unnecessary highlight plays (between the legs shot in close last night?!) and from the stands appears to receive special status from the coaches. That's all more an indictment on the coaching staff than it is Trevor - he's 18, he's allowed to mature. The coaches don't appear to be driving a team-first mentality into him.

I found some Ducks fans on Twitter who attended an event with their GM in recent days, quoting him:
                              “I had a discussion with Zegras’ agent and he wants to go pro, we just have to figure out what’s best for his development.”

Those in Ducks Twitter, all six of them, found the GM not sold on Trevor being ready right away. Take that for what it's worth.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
                                Would anyone like to offer a thought, opinion, or even an explanation if there is one, as to why Zegras - as a member of a team that traditionally enters the ice to start a game in numerical order - is the last one out of the room, even after the captains who have been fist-bumping their teammates on their way out?

Or, why the coach of this team would permit that? I think that speaks volumes for them both.

I believe Trevor has been here for himself, that his play has been a perplexing mix of intensity and indifference, and that he is not (yet) in the league of our other 'one and done' players (Eichel, Keller, Farabee or Tkachuk).
                                Perhaps he was misinformed that it was alphabetical?

I know that my 14 year old daughter is crushing on him hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X