This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

didn't jackp once say "they shoulda called the game 'goalie'"?
    or was that Mookie?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
      There was a show yesterday with 4 players from the ‘80 team. Three of them looked like they could still skate With their alma maters. Eruzione look bloated. Sort of like Trump.
      been a while since Rizzo was starring in them weight watchers' commercials, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        didn't jackp once say "they shoulda called the game 'goalie'"?
        or was that Mookie?
        https://youtu.be/TX9oUYtiNoo

Comment

Not wanting to get into a discussion about JY on BU's Board, only to say he has not lost it or forgotten how to coach hockey or how to recruit. He may not be right all the time but for 20 years at BC he has more than done the job. BC fans have been spoiled, the last few years have been an aberration, they may not win the prize this year but I think they will be in the mix at the end. The kids who think otherwise don't know as much about hockey or coaching as they think they do.

Comment

Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
            Not wanting to get into a discussion about JY on BU's Board, only to say he has not lost it or forgotten how to coach hockey or how to recruit. He may not be right all the time but for 20 years at BC he has more than done the job. BC fans have been spoiled, the last few years have been an aberration, they may not win the prize this year but I think they will be in the mix at the end. The kids who think otherwise don't know as much about hockey or coaching as they think they do.
            '17-'18 and '18-'19 were understandable. Those were bridge years after the mass exodus. And while they missed the tournament they still won 20 games both years and flirted with making the big dance. But that was supposed to lead to a breakthrough year last year. What happened last year is impossible to explain. They were picked to win the league and it was just a total disaster of a season until the HE tournament. Last year made me think it was time for a coaching change. At the same time, that was York's first losing season since I believe '96-'97. So while I still don't give anyone a pass for last year I suppose in the bigger picture every coach deserves that mulligan (especially Jerry York).

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
              one additional point
              know most USHL/BCHL games are streamed and there are more showcase games but every night when I go a game all coaches are present
              When Quinn, O'Connell, Greeley and others were assistants they were often out scouting on game nights
              There is something to be said for being on site at junior games and talking to coaches and getting a better feel for players
              Also it was usually a younger assistant doing this work
              Since Ct was in last night I would cite Joe Pereira as an example

If Albie survives I would expect to see assistant coaching changes
              I agree and for another reason as well: the coaches need to get to know these kids. Even if not staying all 4 years, is this the kind of kid who is all in? A good teammate? Unselfish? Or is BU just a pit stop along the way? Duluth seems to get the kind of players with skill but also the right attitude. Is BU getting enough of them?

Comment

I understand the frustration of BU's results this past weekend, directing those feelings towards coaching and calling for change. For those who are most critical, is it the results themselves or how they lost both games that is most bothersome? Or is it that a blue-blood program like BU shouldn't be swept in a weekend series by a program like UCONN?

For the Albie critics, I see the concerns based on results and observations. I get that some think BU has too much high-end talent to be a .500 team both last & this season. Despite said talent, the overall roster makeup is still quite flawed between the goaltending situation and youth/inexperience. Some decisions by both Albie and Quinn contributed to it, along with factors beyond their control. I do believe Albie is taking strides towards a more balanced recruiting approach to minimize unexpected roster turnover, thus creating more depth and experience. However, that approach takes time - multiple recruiting classes to fit that bill - before the most positive benefits/results may be seen.

I'm also aware that there's a general perception of Albie's competency as a head coach b/c of his communication, demeanor and decisions made. BU was taking a risk with whichever finalist they named as Quinn's successor; with Albie it was zero experience as a head coach at any level and the learning curve associated with the elevated duties a head coach is responsible for. It seems he's still going thru that learning curve towards the end of his 2nd season; key questions to consider include:

What's the level of awareness regarding the coaching staff's strengths and weaknesses (including Albie's)? Is there a performance/development plan to address shortcomings?

Could following in Jack Parker's legacy and David Quinn's strong personality/charisma have created unrealistic expectations on Albie given he seems to be more reserved and laid-back compared to his predecessors.

Would there be a significant positive difference in BU's play and results the last ~2 seasons if David Quinn was still behind the bench? Same question if Rick Bennett had been hired instead?

I will conclude by reiterating what ericredaxe posted about BU was 8-3-3 (or 9-4-1 depending on how you view the Beanpot results) in its previous 14 games entering the UCONN series. But the way some are conversing in this thread makes it seem like BU's situation after this weekend's results is UVM-bad.

BU Hockey: Be careful what you wish for (re: don't make a change for the sake of doing so)...

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                  How many leads has this team blown this season?
                  Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  Assuming I counted correctly...
                  At the UConn game I mentioned BU's record when having a lead at any point in a game. Another fan said BU's record was poor, so I spent the time to have Excel calculate the record for each team this season when they had a lead. It turns out I made 3 mistakes for the other Hockey East teams. Here are every team's record by winning percentage:

and by losses:

As can be seen, BU is below the median and average for both losses and winning percentage, but so far this season so are most other Hockey East teams.
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

What part of "Albie is in way over his head" are some fans not understanding? If he can't recruit, can't prepare for games, can't figure out his D or goalie, and can't make in game adjustments, what exactly is he here for? BU hockey should not be kissing UConn's a ss in terms of fan interest, or UMass Amherst in terms of quality play. Yet, here we are. I'm well aware that David Quinn was a much better coach when he left here vs when he started but I don't think Albie is going to make the leap that quickly, and we don't have 10 years for him to figure it out. I keep coming back to the Beanpot title game where NU scored on the same play 4 times in one period, and Albie is standing behind the bench looking like he's more concerned about being able to get out in time to hit the All You Can Eat Midnight Pancake Buffet at the IHOP after the game.

Give him one more year. But if its the same muddled sh it as this year, the program doesn't owe him anything. Show him the door.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                      The talent makeup and the big exodus before this season can’t entirely be blamed on him but the “getting team ready to play” can be. Three blowout losses at home to teams that are middle of the road at best. Team
                      not ready to play has been a common theme in the 2 years.
                      You have no idea if that’s the case or not ... regarding early departures

Comment

While technically correct, Mookie would adjust Sean’s chart to show 12 wins and 11 blown leads (barely above .500) after having a lead. A tie is not a reward here. Certainly not a .652 “winning” pct

Comment

Is Albie our Steve Cedorchuk?

The loyal assistant who finally gets the head job, only to not be up to it.
                          Unlike Cedor, Albie does know how to count scholarships and has no baseball scholarships to borrow for hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                            Harry, out of curiosity, how far back do you go with BU hockey?
                            I can remember Jack Kelly going to the New England Whalers, and Leon Abbott getting fired over the Buckton-Marzo Affair (unfair firing, BTW).

Comment

I don't remember the details but I looked Cedorchuk up and BC was actually much improved his 2nd and final year. Must have been canned over the scholarship thing. He did win a Beanpot though!

Comment

Bean pot win over Harvard in OT I think. Tom Mellor (?) from the right point, pretty innocuous shot, everyone including Steve was shocked that it went in. That was the highlight of his coaching career. That led to Milbury, the exposure of the scholarship problem and the hiring of Jerry. Thank God it worked out that way, Milbury would not have lasted long at BC and York was just what the program needed. We still need him.

Comment

Working...
                                X