X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    One of Quinn's most underrated accomplishments was how he handled Jack and the surrounding Eichelmania during that season. Never once did I get the impression Jack was getting special treatment in among the team - instead, he was a freshman like every other player. Of course he got the most playing time, but he earned it. DQ did as good a job as he could keeping the media and Twitter rumors away from Jack and kept the focus on the team as a whole.

That's not to say Trevor is a selfish kid who only cares about himself. I don't know him so that's not fair for me to assume. I do see a kid willingly double-shifting himself in bad spots, looking to make unnecessary highlight plays (between the legs shot in close last night?!) and from the stands appears to receive special status from the coaches. That's all more an indictment on the coaching staff than it is Trevor - he's 18, he's allowed to mature. The coaches don't appear to be driving a team-first mentality into him.

I found some Ducks fans on Twitter who attended an event with their GM in recent days, quoting him:
    “I had a discussion with Zegras’ agent and he wants to go pro, we just have to figure out what’s best for his development.”

Those in Ducks Twitter, all six of them, found the GM not sold on Trevor being ready right away. Take that for what it's worth.
    In team sports, it all flows from the coach. He/she sets the standards, the tone, the expectations, and then sees that they are followed. And these are team wide standards. And the coach also needs to, judiciously, work with those who may stray from them. That's what leadership is all about. And if the coach lapses into double standards, it's over as far as his/her authority.

I don't necessarily think Zegras is selfish, maybe a little self-important, and certainly a showboat, but that's correctable. That's the coach's responsibility. And, after two years, I'm wondering if we are missing that critical piece behind the BU bench.

Comment

Disgraceful effort.

Albie putting DeBoer out on the 6x4 is inexcusable.
      VERY easily explainable. He wanted a big body in front of the net. You don't need a skilled player to that, just a big, strong body.

Comment

Curry's improvement during his four-seasons has been tremendous. He went from a fourth-liner to a legit first-line winger. He is the hardest worker on the team in off-ice conditioning. He plays hard. And he doesn't back down against bigger opponents.

Even if he didn't say a word -- and he does -- the example that he sets makes him a good captain.

The criticism he is receiving on here is totally unwarranted, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
          VERY easily explainable. He wanted a big body in front of the net. You don't need a skilled player to that, just a big, strong body.
          Disagree, especially since that big body has not proven to be an offensively adept. If you just want a large human there, may as well tell Vlasic to go stand in front of the goalie. Skoog was already out there as a large body, as was Curry. Both are skilled net-front presences. DeBoer is a borderline 4th-liner and does not skate on a power play line. To have him out there on an extra attacker power play is incorrect.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I’m assuming it’s the standard “Plenty of seats available” situation this weekend at Tsongas. #SpringBreakHockey
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              I’m assuming it’s the standard “Plenty of seats available” situation this weekend at Tsongas. #SpringBreakHockey
              I think that is likely. Unfortunately despite the games being pretty close to home - I am doubtful. Knee surgery is on Tuesday, so mobility will be limited.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                Looking at next season's incoming class plus verbal commits for 2021 and beyond, Zegras is likely the last 1-and-done BU will have in the foreseeable future. I think there's a concerted effort to shift the recruiting approach to a more sustainable model w/ emphasis on 3-4 year impact players and minimizing early departures (specifically 1-2 and done).

There was a stretch where players who couldn've left early returned for 1 more year -- Grzelcyk, O'Regan, Somerby, Hickey -- and BU needs to get back to that than guys like Tkachuk, Farabee, Bowers leaving when they did after the coaching change.
                Add Carpenter to the list of four-year guys who could've left earlier. And getting a third year from Fabbro was very unexpected. The recent rule change delaying the dates for contact and commitments in the recruiting cycle should play into the "concerted shift" you noted.

Zegras committed to BU the summer before he was a sophomore at Avon and well before he joined the NTDP program. He was a highly regarded Bantam but there was no way to know he'd become a first-rounder, let alone a likely one-and-done.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

For those who didn't see it, here's video of the penalty during warmups. https://twitter.com/twolinepass/stat...15410901340161 The backup goalie clearly shoots the puck towards the BU end of the ice and hits Curry (kneeling by blue line) in the head.

Another *** moment from this - to start the game, Albie didn't put the first PP unit on the ice, instead 11/17/9 with 4/5. The 1st PP unit is 9/11/13/21 and 4. At no point during that opening PP was the first unit on the ice in full.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    I heard that UML was on break this past week so their students will be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      I heard that UML was on break this past week so their students will be back.
                      Lowell is on break this week, classes will resume on 3/16/20.

Comment

For those who didn't see it, here's video of the penalty during warmups. https://twitter.com/twolinepass/stat...15410901340161 The backup goalie clearly shoots the puck towards the BU end of the ice and hits Curry (kneeling by blue line) in the head.
                        WOW. What a dick.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Another *** moment from this - to start the game, Albie didn't put the first PP unit on the ice, instead 11/17/9 with 4/5. The 1st PP unit is 9/11/13/21 and 4. At no point during that opening PP was the first unit on the ice in full.
                          Does starting lineup protocol have something to do with this? Was Albie's lineup submitted prior to knowing of this PP coming?

Rule 7 - Starting Lineup 7.1 Eligible Players/Player List - Fifteen minutes before the start of the game, a list of names and numbers of all eligible players and goalkeepers, including starting lineups, shall be submitted to the official scorer or referee. The coach of the home team, having been advised by the official scorer or referee of the names of eligible players and starting lineup of the visiting team, shall name the eligible players and starting lineup of the home team; this information shall be conveyed by the official scorer or the referee to the coach of the visiting team. Changes or additions may not be made to the submitted player eligibility lists (82.2). PENALTY—Bench minor whether deliberate or unintentional. Forfeiture if, after the completion of the game, it is determined by the proper administrative authorities that the violation was deliberate. Changes in the starting lineup of either team, as given to the referee or official scorer, or in the playing lineup on the ice, shall not be made until the game is actually in progress unless a penalty changes the on-ice strength or an injury occurs before the first faceoff. PENALTY—Bench minor if brought to the attention of the referee before the second faceoff in the first period.
                          EDIT whoops forget it, the 2nd to last sentence seems to allow a change for Albie if there is a pregame penalty.

WILD.
                          Last edited by Carmine Scarpaglia; 03-08-2020, 05:20 PM.
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            Does starting lineup protocol have something to do with this? Was Albie's lineup submitted prior to knowing of this PP coming?

EDIT whoops forget it, the 2nd to last sentence seems to allow a change for Albie if there is a pregame penalty.

WILD.
                            Even if that rule did apply, all he had to do was skate everyone out and immediately change on the first opportunity. Win the faceoff, skate back into your own zone and the 2-3 guys quickly switch.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

I don’t t think he (Frye) meant to hit anybody with the clear (he just isn’t that good ); just clearing the puck while skating like they do a thousand times.

Having said that; glad he did serve the penalty as he could have done it another way, seeing there was traffic in the neutral zone.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Even if that rule did apply, all he had to do was skate everyone out and immediately change on the first opportunity. Win the faceoff, skate back into your own zone and the 2-3 guys quickly switch.
                                Well, that never happens starting off a power play.

Comment

Working...
                                X