This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cridge View Post
    What I am hopeful is I believe that all freshmen forwards will be able to make an impact. Shlaine and Zabaneh are the more of the not as coveted as the other three coming in(including O'brien). Shlaine was the best player on his Shattuck team this season and put up great numbers. He is very good with the puck but his only flaw is his skating. He was supposed to come in 2021, but is coming in a year early (hopefully coaches wanted him to come and make an impact this year). Zabaneh reminds me of a Logan Cockerill 2.0. Small but his skating is amazing. He definitely needs to add more strength, but I believe his skating will not keep him out of the lineup. Also, he is responsible in the defensive zone. We'll find out in the fall but I definitely believe that Boguslavsky, Deboer, and maybe even Armstrong will have to work very hard to get into the lineup because all the freshmen forwards have some skill. Armstrong's physicality may be needed in the lineup, but that is all I saw from him really this year.
    Hadn’t heard that Shlaine is coming a year early - is that definite? Also, Tuch has some good size and skill and could make an immediate impact.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
      Hadn’t heard that Shlaine is coming a year early - is that definite? Also, Tuch has some good size and skill and could make an immediate impact.
      https://***********/DShlaine/status/1219238466086719488

Shlaine signed his NLI 3 months later than the NTDP recruits. Guessing coaches wanted to bring him in early or he wanted to come in next year. Tuch and Peterson will be great additions and make an immediate impact. Tuch is shorter than his brother but plays more of a power forward game. Peterson has a huge ceiling. 6'4 and can fly. He didn't play to his potential at the NTDP, but he has the skills to be a threat. These two will definitely be playing good minutes

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        No, but you implied it was the coaches to blame, at least regarding BU.

Sean
        And what’s wrong with that implication? Ask around amazing what you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by ColinWilsonFan View Post
          Ask around amazing what you can find out
          so...... what happened?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            My concern is that unless O'Brien looks like the furst rounder PC was hoping fro two years ago, we have no really high-end forward that can be the go to. We had two of those guys this past season in Harper and Zegras. I think we have a good group of next level guys (above average talent) in Mastrosimone, Phillips, Tuch, Skoog and hopefully O'Brien. Then I would group Amonte, Wise, Cockerill and Peterson. Quercia, Armstrong and Stevens have some good upside. DeBoer is a 4th liner at best based on what I have seen. I won't try to project the other freshmen, but I think they have some potential.

I'm hoping as much as anyone that Cockerill and Wise can have breakout seasons (point-wise). But until it happens, I'm not counting on it.
            Good assessment on the returning forwards. Would like to see Quercia take a junior year step up as Curry did a year ago. Expectations for O’Brien have to be tempered despite his very strong BCHL season. He talks about the past season and looking ahead in this PentictonVees.ca interview. Tuch and Peterson will have the advantage of having played 18 games against college teams, but that doesn’t always assure a quick and effective transition to D1 hockey.

It’s safe to say balanced scoring by committee will be the M.O. next season. Much better face-off results—leading to increased puck possession at both ends—has to be one of the top goals for the coaching staff.

I wouldn’t assume Shlaine is coming in next season, even after signing his NLI. Right now there are 16 forwards (not counting Copeland) and good, experienced depth at center, which is Shlaine’s position. Unless there’s something unforeseen, I’d expect him to play a season of juniors and come aboard in 2021.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              Good assessment on the returning forwards. Would like to see Quercia take a junior year step up as Curry did a year ago. Expectations for O’Brien have to be tempered despite his very strong BCHL season. He talks about the past season and looking ahead in this PentictonVees.ca interview. Tuch and Peterson will have the advantage of having played 18 games against college teams, but that doesn’t always assure a quick and effective transition to D1 hockey.

It’s safe to say balanced scoring by committee will be the M.O. next season. Much better face-off results—leading to increased puck possession at both ends—has to be one of the top goals for the coaching staff.

I wouldn’t assume Shlaine is coming in next season, even after signing his NLI. Right now there are 16 forwards (not counting Copeland) and good, experienced depth at center, which is Shlaine’s position. Unless there’s something unforeseen, I’d expect him to play a season of juniors and come aboard in 2021.
              I agree it is unusual if we bring in Shlaine (Since Amonte is coming back), and I think he should come in 2021.

I made a list of the current and past 2 recruit classes point totals before coming to BU (including Shlaine). There doesnt seem to be a Zegras of Farabee coming in (which is good imo), so it looks like we'll have everyone 2-4 years. Tuch and Petersons point totals are lower than expected, but as Rogie said, they did play 18 college games. All players coming in look to have produced well in their leagues USHL and BCHL, which are arguably the best two leagues to play before NCAA.

2020-2021

Luke Tuch NTDP 47 GP 15-15-30pts .63pt/g
              Dylan Peterson NTDP 45 GP 8-17-25pts .55pt/g
              Jay O’Brien BCHL 44 GP 25-41-66pts 1.5pt/g
              Nicholas Zabaneh USHL 48 GP 13-21-34pts .70pt/g
              Artem Shlaine PREP 46 GP 26-52-78pts 1.7 pt/g and 6 GP in USHL 2-1-3pts .5pt/g

2019-2020

Trevor Zegras NTDP 60GP 26-61-87pts 1.45pt/g
              Robert Mastrosimone USHL 54GP 31-29-60pts 1.1pt/g
              Ethan Phillips USHL 50Gp 16-27-43pts .86pt/g
              Jamie Armstrong NCDC 28GP 8-3-21pts .75pt/g and 13USHL games for 1 goal total
              Markus Boguslavsky AJHL 57 GP 16-16-32pts .56pt/g
              Sam Stevens USHL 62 GP 10-25-25pts .40PT/G
              Wilmer Skoog NAHL 18-19 57 GP 18-29-47pts .82 pt/g
              19-20 24 GP 15-18-33pts 1.375pt/g

2018-2019

Joel Farrabee NTDP 62 GP 33-46-76pts 1.18pt/g
              Jake Wise NTDP 38 GP 11-32-43pts 1.13pt/g
              Jack Deboer NTDP 61 GP 7-15-22pts .36 pt/g
              Mark Cheremeta NCDC 50 GP 18-41-59pts 1.18pt/g
              Matt Quercia USHL 59 GP 5-13-18pts .30pt/g
              Last edited by cridge; 03-31-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

I think this is a big year for Albie to adjust to the roster and their skill set. This doesn't seem to be a high scoring team on paper. A more conservative, puck possession, sound defense structure would be my thinking to get better results.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  I think this is a big year for Albie to adjust to the roster and their skill set. This doesn't seem to be a high scoring team on paper. A more conservative, puck possession, sound defense structure would be my thinking to get better results.
                  Definitely. Especially with Commesso coming in. I believe BU can win more games this year, but will not win by more than 2 goals at all. Offense is going to be decreased, but I definitely believe we will allow less goals/avg. I do believe that the high level skill had lowered, but the overall skill lines 3-4 has absolutely increased. Two years ago our fourth line was Deboer, Chabot, Quercia, Witkowski, and Cheremeta combined for 12 points. This season the fourth line was better, but the only game they played well was Union. Successful teams have 4 lines that have the ability to score, and I think Albie is trying to make that change

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    Did you see our defense play this year? The only puck possession they can do is giving the puck to the other team for gold plated scoring chances. If that's our plan for next year we are screwed, although if it gets Albie out the door quicker maybe its worth it.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Did you see our defense play this year? The only puck possession they can do is giving the puck to the other team for gold plated scoring chances. If that's our plan for next year we are screwed, although if it gets Albie out the door quicker maybe its worth it.
                      You have to make adjustments based on your personnel. Looking at returners and who they lost it seems like BU is going to have make up a big chunk of the scoring. Now add in if Ferrance leaves then you lost a massive % of scoring - gone are Ferrance?, Harper, Curry, Zegras who in total made up a ridiculous 80% of the teams point production. So who is going to pick up that huge chunk of scoring? Any four players on the roster look like they ar going double or triple their last year points - because that would be would it would take just to get to last years team production. I doubt that happens. Maybe a few guys improve but that big of a jump would be incredible.

A wide open run and gun offense isn't what this roster jumps out to me. To be successful I would think they need balanced scoring from all lines, play SOUND defensive first hockey with structure and rely on winning close games. They arent going to be able to go toe to toe with high scoring teams day in and day out. They need to play more like PC than BC. BC strength is up front next season when it was in the back end last season. Dont forget they lost 4 senior defenseman and only return 2 freshman d. That means they are going to be very raw in their back end so they are more apt to run and gun and try to outscore opponents and hope Knight keeps them in it. Part of coaching is realizing what you have and putting them in the best positon to succeed.
                      Last edited by Lemonade; 03-31-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
                        I think O'brien will do alright here. I would prefer him than other recent grad transfer skaters we've had. Brink and Willman were both invisible on the ice. The only grad transfer skater in recent memory to my knowledge that was good was Drew Melanson. We'll see how O'brien does, but I think he will be a good addition if he plays like how he did this season.
                        O'Brien will be a sophomore, not a grad transfer.

Comment

Working...
                        X