X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    I think the instability in goal will do you in at some point.
    I've said that from the start of the season. I was hoping for a better W-L record in the regular season, but I don't expect BU to go anywhere but home come the playoffs.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Fire the clueless fatass of a coach.
      I place some of this season's goaltending problems on Coach O'Connell: he saw that there would an issue this season and I think he should have brought in Tucker and an unrecruited/overlooked goalie at the start of the season (and not mid-season). Still, it can take time: look at Coach Madigan. It took him three seasons to have a winning season and six seasons to have a winning overall record. Coach O'Connell is only in his second season and disappointing as it has been I think he gets another season to right the ship.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Before defkit comments I'll point out that BU lost* after scoring the first goal in the first 3 minutes last night. In fact the team that scored first in all four games lost* and three of those scored within the first 3 minutes, with the fourth (Harvard vs NU) scoring at 5:17. The two games last night make the winning percentage for teams scoring first, scoring in the first 5 minutes and scoring after 5 minutes all the same: 0.704.

Sean

*stupid, stupid rat creatures

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Fire the clueless fatass of a coach.
          I can’t stop laughing at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            I place some of this season's goaltending problems on Coach O'Connell: he saw that there would an issue this season and I think he should have brought in Tucker and an unrecruited/overlooked goalie at the start of the season (and not mid-season). Still, it can take time: look at Coach Madigan. It took him three seasons to have a winning season and six seasons to have a winning overall record. Coach O'Connell is only in his second season and disappointing as it has been I think he gets another season to right the ship.

Sean
            If you want to give him another year that's fine, but the program needs to be scouting out potential coaches now for who else they might be able to bring in here.

Watching the two teams play last night, I was impressed with how NU played down low near the goalie and set up for high quality shots. BU on the other hand seems to rely too much on slap shots from the point with the hope that it bounces in off a few people. That worked once last night but it reminds me of Parker's constipated offense of the past which I fear Albie took to heart.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Sean
              It was interesting to watch the political battle for Quinn's job two years ago. In the real world, very few companies would decide to take their top salesman, (recruiter, rainmaker) out of fulltime sales and hand him the title of Chief Executive officer - for which he had practically no management training and experience. That's a recipe for disaster or [at the very least - serious problemas). Albie was a terrific recruiter at NU and then at BU. He should always be able to make a good living selling something!He has been very good at selling an intangible, like a free education, lots of hockey and plenty of pampering (would "preferential treatment" be more PC?).

If Albie is like most coaches, who are alumni of the school where they coach, he views his position as a long term stop on his career. Hang on to him. He absolutely deserves more than two seasons to learn the ropes and the tricks of the trade.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                It was interesting to watch the political battle for Quinn's job two years ago. In the real world, very few companies would decide to take their top salesman, (recruiter, rainmaker) out of fulltime sales and hand him the title of Chief Executive officer - for which he had practically no management training and experience. That's a recipe for disaster or [at the very least - serious problemas). Albie was a terrific recruiter at NU and then at BU. He should always be able to make a good living selling something!He has been very good at selling an intangible, like a free education, lots of hockey and plenty of pampering (would "preferential treatment" be more PC?).

If Albie is like most coaches, who are alumni of the school where they coach, he views his position as a long term stop on his career. Hang on to him. He absolutely deserves more than two seasons to learn the ropes and the tricks of the trade.
                Is this just cuz he can't beat you at the Gahden??? Methinks you have your own interests in mind!

BU Alum '07

Comment

I have my doubts about Albie but in his defense BU has gone through a tremendous roster turnover in recent years, no? He has his goalie lined up for next year and I would assume Farrance will be only early departure on defense.

Looking at your roster, I have no idea where the goals would come from next year. Your season might hinge on Zegras. Is he expected to return?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    If you want to give him another year that's fine, but the program needs to be scouting out potential coaches now for who else they might be able to bring in here.

Watching the two teams play last night, I was impressed with how NU played down low near the goalie and set up for high quality shots. BU on the other hand seems to rely too much on slap shots from the point with the hope that it bounces in off a few people. That worked once last night but it reminds me of Parker's constipated offense of the past which I fear Albie took to heart.
                    What I want is irrelevant, but thanks for thinking I have such clout. . I'm not sure BU needs to scout out potential replacements as I think that they would again have a lot of interest in the job should it become open. What I would like to see is a change in assistant coaches. I think Paul Pearl was a good hire, but I've never been sold on Len Quesnelle and would like to see him replaced.

I wouldn't say BU relies too much on slap shots from the point, but they do seem stay on the perimeter and don't setup low or drive the net as often as I would like. I also think they have skill players who try to do too much by themselves. Sometimes they do it during a line change and that is fine (except it would be nice to see the oncoming players try to support him in the zone), but other times they ignore the support they have and try to do it all themselves.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Your season might hinge on Zegras. Is he expected to return?
                      Based on his reaction to the loss last night I don't think he thinks he'll return.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

As someone who is an Individual Contributor at work (no direct reports) and having several recent conversations with my manager recently about manager support and what I need to do, I'm curious what you all think - what do you think was said between periods 1 and 2 and between periods 2 and 3 last night? The team owned the first. They go into the locker room feeling really good. What should a coach say to his team in that moment? What maybe was not said during that intermission that caused the team to pretty much melt down in the 2nd. I hate to put this all on BU as Northeastern obviously re-grouped. But still, what must that atmosphere like after the 2nd period.

Comment

What I want is irrelevant, but thanks for thinking I have such clout. . I'm not sure BU needs to scout out potential replacements as I think that they would again have a lot of interest in the job should it become open. What I would like to see is a change in assistant coaches. I think Paul Pearl was a good hire, but I've never been sold on Len Quesnelle and would like to see him replaced.

I wouldn't say BU relies too much on slap shots from the point, but they do seem stay on the perimeter and don't setup low or drive the net as often as I would like. I also think they have skill players who try to do too much by themselves. Sometimes they do it during a line change and that is fine (except it would be nice to see the oncoming players try to support him in the zone), but other times they ignore the support they have and try to do it all themselves.

Sean

Agreed on Quesnelle.

A lot of BU's current offense is predicated on 1) east<->west puck movement just inside the attacking blue line; 2) low->high puck movement back to the points after establishing possession below the dots/in the corners. Although at points last night they were able to cycle the puck effectively, but were ineffective at converting those into grade-A scoring changes.

Agreed I'd like to see them play a bit more north-south hockey at times with forwards driving the net and just a stronger net-front presence as a whole. I think a big part of their current offensive system is based the personnel (many smaller forwards) especially compared to 2 seasons ago when Greenway & Tkachuk were on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                            I think a big part of their current offensive system is based the personnel (many smaller forwards) especially compared to 2 seasons ago when Greenway & Tkachuk were on the roster.
                            I agree. At the end of regulation Quercia was out there for net presence. It says something when you put the fourth line left winger out on ice the when you need a tying goal.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              As someone who is an Individual Contributor at work (no direct reports) and having several recent conversations with my manager recently about manager support and what I need to do, I'm curious what you all think - what do you think was said between periods 1 and 2 and between periods 2 and 3 last night? The team owned the first. They go into the locker room feeling really good. What should a coach say to his team in that moment? What maybe was not said during that intermission that caused the team to pretty much melt down in the 2nd. I hate to put this all on BU as Northeastern obviously re-grouped. But still, what must that atmosphere like after the 2nd period.
                              Check out the interview with Ryan Shea after the 1st and I think you’ll get your answer.
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Based on his reaction to the loss last night I don't think he thinks he'll return.

Sean
                                What did Zegras do? This was postgame?
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X