Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston University 2019-2020

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I can only imagine how cold it's going to be up at Merrimack tomorrow. Who remembers when they had the space heaters hanging from the ceiling?
    Yup.... and the players basically walking through the stands to get to the ice....

Is there still the standing room area at ice level behind the net? That is one of the best places to watch from.

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Re: Boston University 2019-2020

I can only imagine how cold it's going to be up at Merrimack tomorrow. Who remembers when they had the space heaters hanging from the ceiling?
    And they were off first and third periods, as well as intermissions, and on for the entire second period.

Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Yup.... and the players basically walking through the stands to get to the ice....

Is there still the standing room area at ice level behind the net? That is one of the best places to watch from.
    As I recall they walked from the side of the side of the visitor stands around the front a short way to the door on the side of the rink. They had to stop fans from walking when team entered or left the ice. It allowed a decent number of fans to high-five the players.

What is now the near end has the student stands, so I don't think standing is allowed there. There is still space on what is now the far end of the rink for standing, but I haven't been to a men's game there for a long time and don't know if they still allow standing there.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by kbz View Post
    Unfortunately I think our program has become the college hockey equivalent of Georgetown basketball and University of Miami football - once great programs that have become middle of the road. All capable of being championship pretenders every few years (meaning just below elite kind of like Oklahoma football this year vs LSU, Clemson, & OSU) while middling around 500 other years. Jack Eichel year an outlier.
    I don't see why this is acceptable. If Albie can't make the program a perennial contender then he needs to be fired (eventually). When Parker was here you had to put up with bouts of sustained underachieving because he'd earned coach for life status until off ice incidents started snowballing. All present and future coaches have no such protection. Either produce or hit the road.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Cockerill returns to the BU line-up tonight, skating with Curry and Wise. Last played in game #3.
    Abel makes his first start in goal.

So far, an uninspiring effort against statistically the worst defensive team in the league. This is disgusting - no other way to put it.

Saved by some lightning in a bottle and a waived off tying goal (still don't know why). Anyway, it's a win, but not pretty. Hopefully a better effort tomorrow start to finish against a much better team than Merrimack. Congrats to Abel on his first colllegiate win!!

Quote Originally Posted by BU93 View Post
    Saved by some lightning in a bottle and a waived off tying goal (still don't know why). Anyway, it's a win, but not pretty. Hopefully a better effort tomorrow start to finish against a much better team than Merrimack. Congrats to Abel on his first colllegiate win!!
    Only thing is maybe goaltender interference- bad call
    Borek could not believe it
    Good to see Wise score- has been good last two games
    Abel looked good in net

On waived off goal- I thought I saw a replay with the Mack goalie still on the ice when they scored. Not anywhere near his bench. Mack already had six skaters in the o-zone.

Really great explanation from the referee there...
    Go BU!

Opposite Girl

Quote Originally Posted by RoughEmUp View Post
    On waived off goal- I thought I saw a replay with the Mack goalie still on the ice when they scored. Not anywhere near his bench. Mack already had six skaters in the o-zone.

Really great explanation from the referee there...
    It was called no goal on the ice, not sure why the review took forever it was pretty obvious there were six skaters plus the goalie. What I want to know is why they weren’t called for too many men on the ice since that’s why it was a no goal.

Also, the PA at Lawler sounds like Charlie Brown’s teacher. Could not understand half of what he said.

Why was Harper’s goal called off? Did it not go in?

Never went in.
    Go BU!

It was called no goal on the ice, not sure why the review took forever it was pretty obvious there were six skaters plus the goalie. What I want to know is why they weren’t called for too many men on the ice since that’s why it was a no goal.
    Per the NCAA rules book There is no penalty for premature substitution:
    Rule 75 - Premature Substitution
    75.1 Premature Substitution - When a goalkeeper leaves the goal area and proceeds to the players’ bench for the purpose of substituting another player, the skater may not enter the playing surface until the goalkeeper is within five feet of the bench. If the substitution is made prematurely, the official shall stop play immediately unless the non-offending team has possession of the puck, in which event the stoppage will be delayed until the puck changes possession. There shall be no time penalty to the team making the premature substitution, but the resulting face-off will take place at the center ice face-off spot when play is stopped beyond the center red line. When play is stopped prior to the center red line, the resulting face-off shall be conducted at the nearest face-off spot in the zone where the play was stopped. In all other situations not covered in the above, a minor penalty may result for too many players on the ice (see Rule 78).
    75.2 Announcement - The referee shall request that the public address announcer make the following announcement: “Play has been stopped due to premature substitution for the goalkeeper.”

Sean

NCAA Hockey Financials

Super Serial

Also, the PA at Lawler sounds like Charlie Brown’s teacher. Could not understand half of what he said.

Harper's goal did not go in, went off the crossbar and out.

They actually had 7 skaters and a goalie on the ice. The 7th was coming off after inadvertently coming on pre-puck drop. He was 10-15 feet from the bench when the puck was dropped. So they had the 6 they wanted, the goalie who didn't come off, and the 7th guy all on the ice when the puck was dropped. They scored because the whole BU team was screaming *** is going on.

Absolutely laughable that the linesman didn't see this and dropped the puck. I think they got away with no penalty because technically it was an incomplete line change and the linesman rushed the puck drop without allowing it to complete.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 01-17-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post

They actually had 7 skaters and a goalie on the ice. The 7th was coming off after inadvertently coming on pre-puck drop. He was 10-15 feet from the bench when the puck was dropped. So they had the 6 they wanted, the goalie who didn't come off, and the 7th guy all on the ice when the puck was dropped. They scored because the whole BU team was screaming *** is going on.

Absolutely laughable that the linesman didn't see this and dropped the puck. I think they got away with no penalty because technically it was an incomplete line change and the linesman rushed the puck drop without allowing it to complete.
    Speaking of interesting face-offs, I remember a game vs PC when the whistle blew that the puck was to be dropped but the PC center ignored it and continued to try and set his players so the linesman dropped the puck despite the Friars not being set and ready. The BU center just put a nice shot on net that went in as the goalie wasn't set either. I believe PC complained, but the goal stood.

There was also a game vs Maine where the Black Bears took a peanlty with a few second left and after it was put up Coach Walsh sent five players out on the ice. They were allowed to set themselves and the linesman dropped the puck, so Maine played with too many men for the last few seconds.

Sean

NCAA Hockey Financials

Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post

My take on it was that Borek tried to switch up his defense, but it was too late. One of the refs did the old "no, you have to go back to the bench". But then the puck dropped long before those two guys got back to the bench. Why the ref didn't immediately blow the whistle I don't know. I have never seen play be allowed in that scenario at the college level, unlike say youth hockey. So the play should have been blown dead, but I thought Merirmack got screwed because those two guys being late to get off the ice didn't impact the play at all.

But that was just what I saw, I might have missed an early substitution for the goalie.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Any video of this? Guys scrambling off the ice might not impact the play except if you do have the other team basically not playing because of it and not ready for the faceoff. Sounds like something you'd really have to see to draw a conclusion.

Veteran

There was a quick drop on the faceoff while one MC player was skating off the ice, but I think if that was the only issue the goal would have been allowed.

Ignoring that player, MC still setup in the offensive zone with 6 skaters playing, while the goalie was in the net. No chance the goal was going to count, the call on the ice was no goal because one of the refs knew what had happened the whole time. Why the play wasn't blown dead already for too many men already I don't know.

there's a good buck in that racket.

regardless.

just better win tonight.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Super Serial

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    My take on it was that Borek tried to switch up his defense, but it was too late. One of the refs did the old "no, you have to go back to the bench". But then the puck dropped long before those two guys got back to the bench. Why the ref didn't immediately blow the whistle I don't know. I have never seen play be allowed in that scenario at the college level, unlike say youth hockey. So the play should have been blown dead, but I thought Merirmack got screwed because those two guys being late to get off the ice didn't impact the play at all.

But that was just what I saw, I might have missed an early substitution for the goalie.
    https://twitter.com/BOShockeyblog/st...61844584325120

That video shows 6 MC skaters in the play. In addition to that, the goalie was in net and a 7th skater was scrambling back to the bench. There were 8 MC players on the ice when the puck was dropped.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    regardless.

just better win tonight.
    Yes, yes but will your boys be nervous playing in front of an actual crowd? Just kidding , youze have been .500 or better in Conte ova the years I’m thinkin

Quote Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    Yes, yes but will your boys be nervous playing in front of an actual crowd? Just kidding , youze have been .500 or better in Conte ova the years I’m thinkin
    BU is 19-21-5 all-time at Conte, 17-20-5 in league play, with 3 shutouts for (2 in the past three seasons) and 2 against. BU is 2-0-1 in their last 3 games at Conte, with their last loss on 15 January 2016, so no current Terrier has lost there.

Sean

NCAA Hockey Financials

Thread Information