X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Strongly disagree. An 18 year old isn't going to have the maturity to figure all that out. They need some rules and guidance set down by the coach. There's a reason some teams are good every year despite constant turnover. The kids are buying into the coach and the program. What is the school paying Albie all that money for if part of the job isn't to get the team to play at the best of their abilities? I'll never understand the mindset behind your statement but we used to hear it when Parker was coaching too. YES, it is the coaches job to motivate and inspire as well as recruit and game plan.
    Do you see Jerry York as motivating anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Yes. I think those players would skate through a brick wall for Jerry York.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        It’s not just motivating, it’s getting them to “buy in” as Rover put it. Sandelin seems to have that just about every year at UMD. Guys come in knowing what’s expected of them in their system and they play like it.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
          It’s not just motivating, it’s getting them to “buy in” as Rover put it. Sandelin seems to have that just about every year at UMD. Guys come in knowing what’s expected of them in their system and they play like it.
          Very fair point. Thats more of a culture thing than coaching motivation thing to me. Motivating to me is the pregame speech to get fired up. The culture aspect is absolutely a discussion point. UMD and Minnesota State recruits a lot of Minnesota players and that pride to play for their state school is a huge motivational factor. I believe 15/24 players on UMD are from Minnesota....Minnesota State has 13/24 from Minnesota. North Dakota recruits a certain type of player - big tough defenseman, gritty, etc. Providence recruits a certain type of player - scrappy, physical......does BU have an identity? To me BU players are high skill and flashy and I am not sure that is ideal type for long term success nowadays.

Comment

Strongly disagree. An 18 year old isn't going to have the maturity to figure all that out. They need some rules and guidance set down by the coach. There's a reason some teams are good every year despite constant turnover. The kids are buying into the coach and the program. What is the school paying Albie all that money for if part of the job isn't to get the team to play at the best of their abilities? I'll never understand the mindset behind your statement but we used to hear it when Parker was coaching too. YES, it is the coaches job to motivate and inspire as well as recruit and game plan.
            +1

Comment

Yes. I think those players would skate through a brick wall for Jerry York.
              Motivating players has always been one of his greatest strengths.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                Motivating players has always been one of his greatest strengths.
                Yes, but that kind of stuff comes with yrs of ..(especially yrs of HC experience).. experience!

As example - I did not know (reading the Eruzione book), that Jack Parker was a ref at one point. All the experiences (as player, ref, coach) made him the Coach he ended up being. Jerry won a title at Bowling Green before the BC gig. Had learned a bit on the way, I bet. Albie is going to get it going. He was excellent at NU , then Harvard?(although by standards of many on this thread, he may just run out of time). Hope it doesn’t come to that, but it may..
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                  Yes, but that kind of stuff comes with yrs of ..(especially yrs of HC experience).. experience!

As example - I did not know (reading the Eruzione book), that Jack Parker was a ref at one point. All the experiences (as player, ref, coach) made him the Coach he ended up being. Jerry won a title at Bowling Green before the BC gig. Had learned a bit on the way, I bet. Albie is going to get it going. He was excellent at NU , then Harvard?(although by standards of many on this thread, he may just run out of time). Hope it doesn’t come to that, but it may..
                  Fair or not, the demands/expectations on the BU hockey program doesn't necessarily foster an environment that allows a head coach to grow into the role. I think there was a general assumption that based on his extensive experience as an assistant at 6 programs across 3 conferences over 14 years, Albie had climbed his way up the ranks, paid his dues, and was ready to take command over BU hockey.

Perhaps a takeaway is that for some coaches, getting head coaching experience -- whether if it's at a lower-profile D1 program, D3 or even Juniors -- has significant value.

Might BU's performance and results the past 2 seasons been different (re: better) if Albie had developed HC experience elsewhere? Also, does anyone recall if Albie was a candidate for the UMASS and/or Merrimack HC openings in recent years?
                  Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 03-10-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    You're completely lost if you think the coach primarily motivates his players in public on the bench.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      Farrance - I can see him leaving; probably, he's reached the point at which he at which he'd benefit from playing at a higher level. The only reason he'd stay I can see is if he really wants to be the captain and is interested in becoming a free agent.
                      Zegras - I think he needs another year of college hockey, but who knows what he/Anaheim feel. Based on recent comments by the Anaheim GM, Trevor wants to go pro. Seems Anaheim isn't 100% bought in on doing that right away, but it still remains the most likely path.
                      Crotty - I've been disappointed in his play this season. My observation is that he's been on the ice in many situations in which BU has been hemmed into its D-zone. Maybe that's due to his role as the lead d-man, so he's plays against the opponent's top line? Still seems like he should be a 4 year guy. Agreed. I also wonder whether the coaching staff will make changes literally or strategically on the defensive side given how poor we've been there. I think Crotty's best path to success is staying. This hasn't been a banner year for him to translate to a pro career.
                      Farrance needs to improve defensively. The offense is there, and he can skate. But he's not particularly big, and he needs to improve on D.
                      Grzelcyk stayed four years, and it helped him. Krys left after three, and where is he?
                      Be like Grzelcyk.

Zegras is highly skilled, but lacks maturity. That is likely an issue for Anaheim. He is not Eichel or Keller. More like a Farabee, and better than Bowers.
                      He would be better with another year of college, just to be allowed to grow up. Two years and he should be ready.

Crotty, jeez, it is tough to say. I don't think he gets any better by staying another year. He has kind of stagnated. Staying another year just might mean one year less riding the buses in the minors. Which itself might be worthwhile if he enjoys college.

Does Len Quesnelle handle the defense? He was a pretty good defenseman at Princeton.

I'm still disappointed in the coaching, and how slow it is to make adjustments. Don't see any fire on the bench. I was really pleased when Paul Pearl was brought on board. He has a very good reputation and a lot of experience as a head coach.
                      Are there too many nice guys on the staff, if there is such a thing? Who plays bad/tough cop when it is needed? It is certainly not Albie.

Comment

Grizz had no knee to stand on after his JR year. Really no choice but to stay for sr year and heal. He played mostly 2nd semester as a sr.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          You're completely lost if you think the coach primarily motivates his players in public on the bench.
                          We got used to seeing Parker do it. He had fire, especially prior to his heart problems. Quinn was not a fiery guy, although his pregame speeches that were seen on video were to the point. Albie definitely is not fiery. Neither is Jerry, Donato or Madigan. Keefe seems to be one of the few assistants who can get fired up.

If your primary motivation comes from behind the bench, it is too late. But breathing some fire when necessary is also not a bad thing.

Comment

Odds that we're allowed to attend the games this weekend? I think it's 50/50 at this point.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              Odds that we're allowed to attend the games this weekend? I think it's 50/50 at this point.
                              Hmmm....watch underachieving team led by clueless coach put out lackluster effort in exchange for possibly catching a deadly virus.

Yeah, that's tough one, even if we are allowed to attend!
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                                Farrance needs to improve defensively. The offense is there, and he can skate. But he's not particularly big, and he needs to improve on D.
                                Grzelcyk stayed four years, and it helped him. Krys left after three, and where is he?
                                Be like Grzelcyk.

Zegras is highly skilled, but lacks maturity. That is likely an issue for Anaheim. He is not Eichel or Keller. More like a Farabee, and better than Bowers.
                                He would be better with another year of college, just to be allowed to grow up. Two years and he should be ready.

Crotty, jeez, it is tough to say. I don't think he gets any better by staying another year. He has kind of stagnated. Staying another year just might mean one year less riding the buses in the minors. Which itself might be worthwhile if he enjoys college.

Does Len Quesnelle handle the defense? He was a pretty good defenseman at Princeton.

I'm still disappointed in the coaching, and how slow it is to make adjustments. Don't see any fire on the bench. I was really pleased when Paul Pearl was brought on board. He has a very good reputation and a lot of experience as a head coach.
                                Are there too many nice guys on the staff, if there is such a thing? Who plays bad/tough cop when it is needed? It is certainly not Albie.
                                In the Albie era, Farrance is the one player whose performance has significantly improved. Agree he still has a ways to go defensively and it's a major reason why returning for his Senior year might be beneficial.

Would Zegras' maturity have developed more under Quinn? I've heard Keller wasn't always the most mature Freshman, but definitely grew in that area under Quinn's tutelage.

I think both Crotty and Kotkansalo haven't developed the way they probably could/should have. Kotkansalo was good enough to make a stacked Finnish WJC team 2 years ago and on many nights this season he seems like not much more than BU's 4th/5th best d-man. I also feel due to the inexperience of the D, Crotty has been pushed into roles perhaps better suited for someone like Fabbro, McAvoy. And yes, Quesnelle handles the defense.

Not sure if there is a "bad cop" on the coaching staff. From what I gathered, Albie was the "good cop" under Quinn. I'm concerned that as a whole, there isn't the necessary level of player-to-coach respect there should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X