This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
    But they did finish 6th in Hockey East and are in the playoffs and made the beanpot final.
    These are not positives. What that should say is that a second class has now graduated without a beanpot title and they are again on the road in the first round.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2019-2020

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      2. The next year optimism comes down to how many of Farrance, Zegras, and Crotty go pro, and whether there are any other unexpected roster moves. If you forced me to answer, our best case scenario is only Crotty returns. That plus a solid goalie maens marginal improvement over this year is realistic. Not exactly reason for optimism.
      The optimist in me thinks they could finish in top-4 in HE if... (in priority order IMO)
      + Commesso is as good as advertised
      + Improvement from returning players, esp. Cockerill, Wise, and the "core" of the current Freshmen class (minus Zegras)
      + Zero unexpected offseason departures
      + Amonte returns to / O'Brien enters the lineup as impact players

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      I don't see Albie having the ability to inspire the team to play above their talent level.
      I think this is a legit concern. Haven't seen enough of this the past 2 seasons. Developing/motivating players to consistently play at or above their talent level has been an outlier.

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
      These are not positives. What that should say is that a second class has now graduated without a beanpot title and they are again on the road in the first round.
      Albie is 29-30-13 going into this year's HE tourney. Sometimes being medicore can be more frustrating than being downright bad.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        Two things here:

1. As I understand it, final say on the hiring and firing of the hockey coach goes to President Brown, not the AD. (This isn't a good thing.)
        2. The next year optimism comes down to how many of Farrance, Zegras, and Crotty go pro, and whether there are any other unexpected roster moves. If you forced me to answer, our best case scenario is only Crotty returns. That plus a solid goalie maens marginal improvement over this year is realistic. Not exactly reason for optimism.
        Farrance - I can see him leaving; probably, he's reached the point at which he at which he'd benefit from playing at a higher level
        Zegras - I think he needs another year of college hockey, but who knows what he/Anaheim feel
        Crotty - I've been disappointed in his play this season. My observation is that he's been on the ice in many situations in which BU has been hemmed into its D-zone. Maybe that's due to his role as the lead d-man, so he's plays against the opponent's top line? Still seems like he should be a 4 year guy.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Farrance - I can see him leaving; probably, he's reached the point at which he at which he'd benefit from playing at a higher level. The only reason he'd stay I can see is if he really wants to be the captain and is interested in becoming a free agent.
          Zegras - I think he needs another year of college hockey, but who knows what he/Anaheim feel. Based on recent comments by the Anaheim GM, Trevor wants to go pro. Seems Anaheim isn't 100% bought in on doing that right away, but it still remains the most likely path.
          Crotty - I've been disappointed in his play this season. My observation is that he's been on the ice in many situations in which BU has been hemmed into its D-zone. Maybe that's due to his role as the lead d-man, so he's plays against the opponent's top line? Still seems like he should be a 4 year guy. Agreed. I also wonder whether the coaching staff will make changes literally or strategically on the defensive side given how poor we've been there. I think Crotty's best path to success is staying. This hasn't been a banner year for him to translate to a pro career.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
            No, I think they will be worse. They're losing all the scorers, the D sucks azz, and I don't see Albie having the ability to inspire the team to play above their talent level. He'd better have some impact freshman coming in to give the program some hope or else he's screwed.
            It’s a race to the bottom! Frankly, I don’t think you guys are up to it, but my Cats might just give Vermont a run.
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Having seen BU play 3 times in person now and couple more on TV. They are just wildly inconsistent. At times they look great, then in the same game they can be awful. All teams have games like that, it just seems to be a norm for BU

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                and made the beanpot final..
                C’mon man
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
                  Having seen BU play 3 times in person now and couple more on TV. They are just wildly inconsistent. At times they look great, then in the same game they can be awful. All teams have games like that, it just seems to be a norm for BU
                  Accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    C’mon man
                    LOL..Hey I know its reaching but that stuff matters to the higher ups. They love smoozing at the Beanpot and making the Championship game does help.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
                      Pretty much. I'll qualify that slightly. They play better when the lights are on the brightest. I am willing to be (almost) that they will beat Lowell again and get to the Garden. After all, these high-end players will then get what they want the most. Attention from the scouts. That's the game. They're playing for themselves more than they are the team. All of these games will essentially be televised nationally (at least to people who pay for the specific packages). To me, this explains their "elevated" level of play in two specific situations...the Beanpot, and the FIRST Northeastern game, which clinched the post-season.

Comment

When the lights are brightest or whenever they play BC. Not just this year but any year, however this year I come away from the games and ask myself how did these guys lose so many games. BU has some serious high level talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                          How soon we forget. Forwards who played 30+ games without scoring a goal in the Hockey East era:
                          Nikolas Olsson, 2017-18, 30 GP, 0-3-3
                          Ryan Cloonan, 2016-17, 34 GP, 0-6-6
                          Ryan Santana, 2009-10, 30 GP, 0-1-1
                          Brian McGuirk, 2004-05, 33 GP, 0-1-1
                          Scott Perry, 1999-00, 41 GP, 0-3-3

There was also Mark Cheremeta, who played 29 games last season without a goal, and Mike DiMella, who played 27 games without a goal in 1998-99.
                          Scott Perry is the player I always think about the worst player to play at BU. I am sure there are others

Comment

Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
                            When the lights are brightest or whenever they play BC. Not just this year but any year, however this year I come away from the games and ask myself how did these guys lose so many games. BU has some serious high level talent.
                            They're not always focused. Seems as simple as that. Which, of course, brings up the entire coach thing again. On the other hand, don't players have some responsibility for motivating themselves as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              They're not always focused. Seems as simple as that. Which, of course, brings up the entire coach thing again. On the other hand, don't players have some responsibility for motivating themselves as well?
                              If you are playing d1 college hockey and you need a coach to motivate you then leave your bag at the door and hit the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                                If you are playing d1 college hockey and you need a coach to motivate you then leave your bag at the door and hit the road.
                                Strongly disagree. An 18 year old isn't going to have the maturity to figure all that out. They need some rules and guidance set down by the coach. There's a reason some teams are good every year despite constant turnover. The kids are buying into the coach and the program. What is the school paying Albie all that money for if part of the job isn't to get the team to play at the best of their abilities? I'll never understand the mindset behind your statement but we used to hear it when Parker was coaching too. YES, it is the coaches job to motivate and inspire as well as recruit and game plan.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X